What's new

Thoughts on adding an amp (1 Viewer)

Mike Main

Stunt Coordinator
Right now I have:

Onkyo 696

B&W 7nt

B&W 1nt

I went to my local shop and discussed getting a 2 channel amp to improve my music listening. When I listen to cds I usually dont use surround stuff just stereo mode. The guy said "with the Onkyo you are really cheating yourself to buy a separate amp. You could go with a 5 r 6 channel to moderately improve things, but separates would make the most difference."

Is this true.

Obviously if I dropped $4k on separates it be great. But would a decent 150 watt stereo amp improve my listening?

Like a Rotel, Adcom .....

Thanks Mike

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
Absolutely it will, no matter what the salesman tells you. moreover I have found that most salesmen don't know half of what they are talking about. Seperate amplification almost always will outperform the internal amps of almost any receiver.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Adding external amps have definitely improved my system...but you have to consider the cost/performance ratio of this upgrade. I added $4000(MSRP)amps to my system. There was a considerable improvement in my system, no doubt. But you have to weight out whether it was $4000 difference.
On a side note, I ended up buying another one of these amps for my other system:).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks