What's new

Thoughts on a sealed, 5 cu. ft. down-firing AV-12 sub? (1 Viewer)

FredV

Agent
I'm primarily interested in a tight, well-controlled bass box, with frequent HT use ( I am not, however, a bass-freak).
As a newbie, I'd kindly ask for any comments/critique/recommendations on the best box type. My preference is a tall, down-firing sealed sub (not a sonosub)
Many thanks.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Fred,

how critical of a listener are you with music? What type of music do you listen to? What type of movies do you "listen" to. You can have some ported alignments that sound very tight. Almost all ported subs you find in retail stores are boomy with high tunnings. A proper ported/aligned sub will not sound anything like those.

And for many of us "Bass freaks", the quality of the sound is just as impotant as how low and loud it gets

As for a non-sonotube downfireing sub, this is still my favorite for looks.
http://www.audioc.com/gallery/titanch.jpg

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
No real reason to go that big for the AV12 sealed, just over 1 ft^3 stuffed gets you to a .7 Qtc, a great HT/music box. I'm using such a box for my AV12 now with a LT circuit but even without it sounds great and I can't imagine anyone being unhappy. Even a PR alignment only needs 3 ft^3 or so.

FredV

Agent
Thanks, guys. I listen mostly to classic rock; movies usually go along horror/sci-fi/adventure genre.
I am really a newbie, and I don't want you to think I'm lazy, but what do you think is the "smallest big enclosure" I can get away with using the AV-12? How about around 3 cu. ft?
I realize that a good vented unit can sound as good/tight as a sealed one, but being that I'm a novice, I figured I'll stick to the latter design.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I am really a newbie, and I don't want you to think I'm lazy, but what do you think is the "smallest big enclosure" I can get away with using the AV-12? How about around 3 cu. ft?
Sounds great. As I think I posted in your other thread on this subject/driver, here's the response in 1 and 3 ft^3 sealed from John at Stryke:

3 ft^3 will have just-about-perfect transient response and you should get strong output down to the low 20's with room gain. A nice option for power is the Rythmik A350 plate amp. With 350 watts into 4 ohms and some nice eq/boost functions for $135, you can have an absolutely killer sub for very little investment.
You could also leave room in your design for a couple of 15" PR's should you want to try that down the road.

FredV

Agent
Thanks again; do you have a preference for the dimensions/ shape of a 3 cu. ft. enclosure (i.e. a cube, columnar, rectangular)?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Dan. :)

Fred, the dimensions really don't matter at these frequencies. The one thing I'd advise is what I said previosly, to make the dimensions such that there's room on two opposite sides for a pair of 15" PR's in case you get curious.

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Jack, I looked into the Rhythmik sub amp. It definitely looks intriguing. Have you compared this sub amp with any others?

I am running a Shiva with both voice coils in parallel with a Sherwood Newcastle 9080 amp, which has probably about 180 watts into 4 ohms. Amazingly, the bass from the Newcastle amp as the sub amp is significantly louder than when I tried my Citation 7.1 amp in either regular or bridged mode.

I am just trying to figure out whether its worth using the Rhythmik. It seems as if the flexibility with the extension filter switch and damping switch are probably worthwhile. What's interesting is that the Rhythmik looks superficially like the Stryke sub amp 350 with the exception of the aforementioned switches.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
What's interesting is that the Rhythmik looks superficially like the Stryke sub amp 350 with the exception of the aforementioned switches.
I wouldn't doubt that it's exactly the same amp save for those switches. Much like the 250 watt model that's sold under many names (PE, Adire, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks