Thoughts on a 43" GE Widesreen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CalvinC, Dec 21, 2002.

1. CalvinC

CalvinC Stunt Coordinator

I was looking at a 43" hdtv from GE that is widescreen, does anyone have any experience with this or with GE? The price is $1299 @ Circuit City. This is about $500 cheaper than most other brans in this size. The picture looked pretty decent. I would appreciate your thoughts.

2. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

The pictures always looks decent when it's displaying HD. [​IMG]
    But, basically, that TV is an RCA, and at least according to Consumer Reports (and much anecdotal experience), RCAs are (in 27-36"), the least reliable manufacturer.
    Of course, they may have finally gotten their act together...
    Me

3. CalvinC

CalvinC Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Tim.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Calvin, though we at HTF tend to discourage posts to the effect that all products from a specific manufacturer are "junk," the stuff coming from Thomson Multimedia tends to be categorically dismissable. Thomson, which makes "RCA," "RCA Scenium," and "GE," has just about the worst reliability record of any mass-market manufacturer. And GE is the low-end brand.

What's the saying? "Buyer beware"?

I'd opt for a model from a manufacturer with a solid reputation (Toshiba, Samsung, Sony, Mitsubishi, Sharp, Panasonic, etc., etc.).

You get what you pay for.

5. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Jack, I wanted to point out the same sentiment myself, but I didn't want to start up a pro/con GE debate.

Hey, I've worked in the Aerospace industry for a while now, and GE makes a heck-of-a jet engine. But, I wouldn't even consider buying a GE appliance or electronic device! :b

6. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Mine is another vote for avoiding any TV with the GE logo on it. If you are on a budget, scrape together another couple hundred bucks and look around for Panasonic's 47" widescreen set. Still an inexpensive TV, but not a cheap one.