What's new

Thoughts on 2es vs 4es (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
For use strictly as a pre/pro. Well I was thinking of using one of them to power the surrounds, but for a strictly 5 channel setup with a 3 channel amp which one would you prefer?

JackS

Supporting Actor
Allen- The greater chance for success goes with the DA4 since it is the more costly of the two. This is not to say that the DA2 might not work just as well and perhaps worth a try considering the money saved over the DA4. If purchasing locally, make the dealer aware of your intentions and perhaps you can try both.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Well the only features I'm looking for right now are DD, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic II (for use with Gamecube games and music), pre-outs, and multichannel inputs for my SACD player. Everything else is just icing. I'm in a small room with a 5.1 setup and 6 or 7.1 is just not possible. So I want to find the best receiver as pre/pro that I can for $500 or under. But I'm willing to go a little higher if performance warrants it. I'm going to pair it up with a good 3 or 5 channel amp. So I'm compiling a candidates list and I'm wondering if the 4es would be worth the extra cash considering my needs. I'm using online pricing so that is why the 2es and 4es are under consideration.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Allen- You could take a small leap of faith and get the DA2. If it were me and I could swing it, I would go for the DA4. This would put my mind at ease. If money is tight, try to save the extra you spent on your upcoming amp purchase. Good luck, Jack

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jason, the 'DA3ES is from last year's line. Technically, the true ES receivers from this year's line start with the 'DA4ES. ;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jason, in the end, you are correct. I was just giving you a hard time. Anyway, I would certainly take a 'DA3ES over a 'DA2ES. It's a no-brainer.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
I would certainly take a 'DA3ES over a 'DA2ES. It's a no-brainer
Keith, keep in mind that the 3ES does not have DPL II or dts NEO:6. I would not settle for either the 3ES or the 2"ES" (really, it's the STR-DB1080). The 4ES or even the 5ES are the real gems. The 4ES even adds dts 24/96.

JohnDW

Agent
Is anyone actually using the 4es as a pre pro who can comment on performance, esp re home thetaer, and how it mates up with your outboard amps ? At

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, features are great, but I want the best sound for my dollar (or my $500+). My point is that for around the same price, the 'DA3ES is going to beat the 'DA2ES soundwise. If one has to have the features of the 'DA2ES but wants 'DA3ES-like sound, then step up to the 'DA4ES or 'DA5ES, as you suggested.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
yup....i'd take better amps and build quality over bells and whistles like DPL2 and Neo 6 in a heartbeat.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
My point is that for around the same price, the 'DA3ES is going to beat the 'DA2ES soundwise.
That's pure speculation,unless you've heard them at the same time?
However I would also choose the 4ES if I was looking for a Pre/pro right now.
You would be hardpressed to find a better equipped receiver/pre/pro for 1k or less[except for my 950:)].

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
As far as processing goes they (2es and 4es) both use 2 32 bit chips and all the features (base management,dpl2,dts-es etc) are the same.

Sooo, IF you are only using the processing and not the amps,extra hookups,remote..just what in the heck is the difference ?? probably absolutly nothing

Jonathan M

Second Unit
I agree with John,

Unless there is evidence to suggest that the processing + preamp sections of the DA4ES are superior to the DA2ES (or DB-1070 or whatever) I see no reason for going for the cheaper unit. The upgraded 4ES will likely have a better power supply, but this is not an issue for preamp/processing.

Just because it costs more, doesn't mean it's any better. Unless you can HEAR a difference with the 2 processors using whatever Amps you're going to be using, get the cheaper one.

I have yet to see ANY reports of the quality of decoding/preamplification being better between ANY different units. (This includes DVD player decoding vs receiver decoding etc.) Almost all the "reviews" and comments I've read assume that one is better than another simply due to price difference. I am personally going to be purchasing a CHEAP ($120) decoder box to test as a pre/pro - I'll let everyone hear know how it goes.

My advice is listen to as much stuff as you can WITH the amplification and speakers you will be using. This is the only definitive way to decide between 2 products.

Cheers
Jonathan

JackS

Supporting Actor
Johnathan make many good points on just how low in the ES line can anyone go and still expect good pre-amp performance. At the very reasonable prices for the DA4/3,5, these would be my choice. If there is any truth in the phrase "you get what you pay for" then I wouldn't chance it with a DA2. The goal should be to equal or better the performance of high end receivers at a much better price and the ES's certainly contain the features that could make this a possiblity. A $700 receiver coupled with $1000 worth of amps is an enticing alternative to the flagships and IMO worthy of strong consideration. The DA2 may work as well, but for my money , I wouldn't want to chance it.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
I would be willing to bet that in the same system using external amps that a person couldnt tell the difference between these two units. There is only 300.00 difference between the two units. 1 less amp, 10 watts less on the other 6 amps, different remote and a few extra hookups. I would say that about covers the 300.00 difference.

It would stand to reason that it would be the same when comparing the H/K 325 to the H/K 525 ..that processing features, chips and decoders are basically the same on the 325 as the 525 and the difference is as stated above with the sonys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks