Thoughts and opinions on this sub

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tod Golden, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Tod Golden

Tod Golden Stunt Coordinator

May 3, 2003
    I am in need of upgrading my sub, since my POS Sony 35w just doesn't do the job. I have done plenty of research and am considering the Dayton from parts express. All indications are the Dayton is a good performer in its price range. I considered some of the other top performers, SVS, but couldn't justify dropping that kind of cash on my mediocre setup.

I have come across a Cadence XLNS-12 subwoofer for a 149.00 including shipping. It appears as though Cadence is more into car audio than home theater.

Based on the specifications of both, which would be a better sub for a room that is 15 x 30 (approx). If you read this and happen to have a Cadence, what do you think of it?

Thanks for the input - Tod
  2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Dec 9, 2000

The site is terrible for information first of. so went to Ebay and dug around and found the sub.

Allot more info and pic's where their. Weight is 44 lbs tho not greatly impressive persay, certainly not a light weight. Appears to have a 3" large flare port firing out the rear. Also the specs are more belivable given their. 25Hz to 250. Also has a called EQ-boosting knob, where this is boosting the FR is not clear as it's not mentioned nor how much.
    Good thing is, it can be used or NOT used.

If your looking for something that will definitely put out more bass than the Sony, it surely will do it. As far as the quaility of bass it makes, that is a shot in the dark.
    149.00 dose not by much and considering it's weight, driver size, supposed amp power @ (300-watt class-A) and a decent set of controls on it, if you are just looking to step up a bit on the cheap, this may be the ticket.

On the other hand the Dayton 10 is the proven performer budget sub here, and you know what your getting.

More than likely the 12 is going to make more noise or bass the the Dayton, (bigger amp, cabinet and driver), but as to the quaility and extension of the Hz coming from it, who knows. Their is room for it to be tuned to 25Hz with a 3" port tho. I doubt that it is tuned that low in a approxment 2ft^³ internal cabinet volume, most likely slightly higher.

I'd gamble and go for it ~{if all you looking for is a cheap replacment for the Sony}~... JMO.
    Definitely check on his return policy/ship damage/not woking/etc policy tho first.

Only thing for sure, either will destroy your current 35-watt Sony in spl....
  3. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

Apr 25, 2004
    This does sound interesting. I love my Dayton but I'd certainly be interested in hearing some reviews on this. 300watts and a 12" driver certainly ups the air-moving possibilities. Only question is DOES IT SOUND GOOD?!

brad cook