Thoughts about Julie London

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by J. Banks, Jan 13, 2003.

1. J. Banks

J. Banks Auditioning

On this forum there have been some interesting and informative discussions of the considrable talents of a group on singers such as Diana Krall, Nora Jones, and some other modern female artists with similar styles. Out of curiosity, I just finished doing a name search on several music discussion boards for Julie London--another very fine singer cut from the same mold. I was surprised and a little saddened because my search came up nearly empty. I was saddened because although Julie London is gone now, IMHO, her musical talent ranks right up there with some of the best of today's artists. I think one of the reasons her name is seldom mentioned anymore is that she is a voice from the distant past (the 1950's and early 1960's pre-rock era) and most of the folks posting on today's discussion boards are not aware of her and were not around when Julie's music was so popular. If you would like to hear a sample of her sounds, go to Amazon or the like and listen to a few bars of something like "Cry Me A River" and see if that smooth, smoky, sultry voice doesn't put you immediately into a lounge mood. Someone once said that "her music is for the night people" and I sure would agree with that!

One final note, she was also very easy on the eyes. It is easy to find some great picture galleries of her on the internet and it is also easy to read about her fairly prolific movie and television careers.

A couple of disclaimers: I am not a membere of any of her fan clubs (if she has any), and I have no financial links to the sale of her music. I merely would like to see her get some of the credit that I think she is due.

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

She's won a few more fans thanks to the lounge revival of the 1990's.
    And Cry Me river has been performed by so many people that anyone seriously interested in pop music must have heard the song.
    And I always use "You told me love was too plebean
    You told me you were through with me"
    as a GREAT example of wacky rhyme
    [​IMG]

3. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Just in case this is seen by the right person, who also would know of Julie London, did Bobby Troup ever perform "The Girl Can't help It"?

I have his own rendition of "Route 66", but have heard very few versions of "Girl" other than the famous one belted by Little Richard.

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Over the years, my mom has repeatedly mentioned Julie London as one of her favorite singers. I have yet to hear any of her recordings though. Perhaps now is the time to sample some of her work.

5. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Danny, oddly enough, the excellent Capitol Lounge series disk devoted to JL, doesn't have her superhit CRY ME A RIVER on it.

But its easy to find on many other disks, and on worthwhile compilations, so, enjoy!

6. J. Banks

J. Banks Auditioning

Dany, No one could sing "Cry Me A River" like Julie London. I might suggest Julie at Home / Around Midnight (Emi Records) as a place to start. There's a lot to choose from.

7. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

my mother was a big fan of julie london and i grew up listening to her - along with sinatra, frankie laine, nat king cole etc. i always liked her style and voice. this has been a good reminder for me to look for some cd's from her. i assume there must be a couple out there. if i remember correctly, i still have an album (yes, vinyl) of hers still in the wrap. i need to look for that.

8. Deborah*T

Deborah*T Agent

I only have "Julie London - The Liberty Years" but I think she is a great singer. What a voice! She sings "Hard Harted Hannah" like nobody else can as well as "Fly Me To the Moon"
    Although I like Barbra Streisands version almost as much, her "Cry Me A River" is the business.
    [​IMG]

9. J. Banks

J. Banks Auditioning

John,

I couldn't find an answer to your question about "The Girl Can't Help It". Unfortunately, the closest I could come was Bobby's name listed in the credits of the Jayne Mansfield / Tom Ewell movie "The Girl Can't Help It". I'm not sure if that means they were giving credit for his writing the song or playing the song or both. At anyrate that would be a sound track. Sorry.