Thought I had a sub picked out...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cindy B, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Cindy B

Cindy B Extra

but darn it, my brother says I'm an idiot if I buy anything but a Velodyne. Budget is $500.00. Probably going to get Titans or mini-M's for my mains/rears. I had decided to go with the Adire Rava, but now I don't know. Maybe it would help if your folks would kindly answer a few questions for me.
    1. What is the difference between a "sealed" sub, and...one that isn't? (Is that called "vented"?) I get the impression that sealed is less "big boom" sound, and less prefered by HT enthusiasts.
    2. What is meant by "more musical" ?
    3. What is the noticable difference between side/forward firing and floor-firing?
    4. I listened to some Paradigms tonight, and had the rep kick on a sub - hardly noticed it. Is this to be expected? From what I am reading, seems like you don't really use the sub much for music, just for HT. If so, what the heck do I care how "musical" it is (whatever that means)??? [​IMG]
    Thanks a bunch for your advice!!

2. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>but darn it, my brother says I'm an idiot if I buy anything but a Velodyne. Budget is $500.00. Probably going to get Titans or mini-M's for my mains/rears. I had decided to go with the Adire Rava, but now I don't know. Maybe it would help if your folks would kindly answer a few questions for me.
    1. What is the difference between a "sealed" sub, and...one that isn't? (Is that called "vented"?) I get the impression that sealed is less "big boom" sound, and less prefered by HT enthusiasts.>2. What is meant by "more musical" ? >3. What is the noticable difference between side/forward firing and floor-firing? >4. I listened to some Paradigms tonight, and had the rep kick on a sub - hardly noticed it. Is this to be expected?>From what I am reading, seems like you don't really use the sub much for music, just for HT. If so, what the heck do I care how "musical" it is (whatever that means)???
    Thanks a bunch for your advice!!

4. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

Cindy,
    Check this thread on the Rava. It seems to be a very good sub at a very good price. Weigh Jack Gilvey's opinion a little more. He seems to be the least biased towards one product or another (IMHO)
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=40082
    Steve

5. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Cindy,

plenty of good subs out there. The Adire Rava is a very good unit; a friend of mine has one in his HT and it does just great in its price range.

So do Hsu, SVS, Velodyne and several other manufacturers. Personally, I own an SVS 16-46CS, and it is very musical indeed; it blends in perfectly with my NHT speakers and gives them an extension most speaker manufacturers would only dream of. I bought it for HT - but would not want to do without it for music.

Your $500 range does limit you a bit in what you can get (well, heck, so would a $2,000 I suppose...) so if you can push just a little further, there are some excellent units that come into play at about $600-700.

Mike

6. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

If you look at objective data on the Hsu VTF-2 and the various Velodyne models under $800 or so, you'll see that the Hsu does amazing things for $500!! I wouldn't be worried one bit. I set up a home theater for my friend, and we got him a Hsu VTF-2. It absolutely rocks!!

The Adire Rava looks fine too. You really can't go wrong with those two subs. I would say forget the Velodyne in the $500 price range and go for the Hsu or the Adire.

If you can spend more, then you get into the possibility of servo-controlled Velodynes, but then people will start to recommend SVS.

7. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I also recommend the Rava, it's an great sub for

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>I also recommend the Rava, it's an great sub for