Those with 7.1 setups, what are your room dimensions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

I am thinking about 7.1 in a 15.5 x 11.5 room and wondering if would be to small. I will have 5.5 feet behind my couch. So what size room are you guys putting your 7.1 in and how do you like it?

2. Todd smith

Sorry about this double post! I just realized I already posted this before I went and had some awesome grilled salmon. The salmon was so good it made me forget I already posted this question. Good salmon can do that you know! Sorry!

3. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

My room is 11 1/2 by 27. It's long, and my 7.2 system takes full advantange of it. I think your room is a little small for 7.1 playback. I love it!!

4. SHAWN SZILEZY

SHAWN SZILEZY Stunt Coordinator

Todd,
    My setup is housed in a space of 15'x28'x7'. However, before I moved into my current home, my system occupied a space of 10'x12'x8'. It's never too small...that is like saying there is too much bass. [​IMG]

5. Todd smith

NICE!

6. Will Gatlin Jr

Shawn...

Is your system 7.1?

7. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

My room is 23x11. No such thing as too small!

8. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

12.5' x 15.5' 7.1 seemed to give more of a spatial feeling here! Especially in the ice field in Titan AE!

I was close to the end wall though, the farther away the better so if you are 5 feet away that may be great!

My new room will be 11.5 x 19 should be even better.

9. SHAWN SZILEZY

SHAWN SZILEZY Stunt Coordinator

Will,
    Yup...full Logic 7 w/dual SVS's. [​IMG]

10. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

My room is 25'x35'x8' and the 7.2 is just awesome!!

11. Jon Carlson

Jon Carlson Extra

Room 16 x 22. Love it. The sweet spot is about 7-8 feet from the rear side and rear-center speakers. I think it sounds great, well worth the effort to set up. I haven't listened critically to any of the newer 7.1 processors since I'm not looking for a reason to upgrade. I'm one of those poor folks who derive the back 3 channels (2side/2back speakers) from an old pro-logic receiver fed from the preouts of a Yamaha RXV2095, giving 5 front and 3 rear channels of information. The improvement by adding matrixed rear centers is effective with most dvds, giving a more engaging and seamless rear soundfield. And my incremental cost was zero, since I already had the receiver and speakers.

12. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    I have a 7.1 system. Here is a link to old photos - the TV and cabinet has been replaced by a 100" FPTV screen and a new audio component shelf that sits below the screen with the center on top of it!
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28828.html
    The room is approximately 15 feet across and 30 feet long and 7.5 feet high. The seating position is about 15 feet from the new FPTV screen. The dipole surrounds are to the left and right of the couch and the rears are in-ceiling about 3 feet behind the seating position.
    I love it!
    Mike

13. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

15.5 x 16 x 8,

front - Paradigm Monitor 9;

center: Paradigm LCR-350

sides: Paradigm ADP

back: Monitor 5

Sub: PW-2200;

amplification was Denon 5800, is Denon 3300, will be Denon 5803 (waiting for delivery).

Usually at -15, -10 for movies; 0 fro demo for guests, but family complains....

_zjt

14. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

Todd:
    Echoing what others have said, I think the most important factor for 7.1 is whether you have adequate space behind the primary listening position.
    My home theater is about 24'x13.5'. Click my signature below to see the layout. I've recently upgraded to a Lexicon MC-1, and I need to update the photos of my setup to show it and a couple of additional amplifiers, but otherwise the photos should give you a pretty good idea of the the placement of speakers and seating.
    On those rare occasions when I emerge from my room, I tell my friends that I've died and gone to home theater heaven!! [​IMG]
    Enjoy.
    Larry

15. Will Gatlin Jr

Larry...

I'd like to get your thoughts on the side placement of your spks in 7.1. Lexicon says for best results is to have the side spks directly to the side of your sweet spot up about 2-3 feet if your aren't using tower spks. Your side spks seem to be a little behind your second row of seats with your "sweet" spot seating a few feet in front. Thanks!!

16. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

Hi Will:

I'll have to apologize a little for the accuracy of my layout drawing. The rear loveseats are actually about a foot or so further back so that the people sitting in the positions closest to the center of the room are just about in line with the side dipoles. (The drawing is off a little because I didn't want to obscure the labeling on the Rear Surround Subwoofer by placing it under the left surround.)

To elaborate on Lexicon's speaker placement recommendations, here's a complete excerpt from their Multi-Channel Music & Cinema Systems: Theory and Design white paper.