What's new

Those with 7.1 setups, what are your room dimensions? (1 Viewer)

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
I am thinking about 7.1 in a 15.5 x 11.5 room and wondering if would be to small. I will have 5.5 feet behind my couch. So what size room are you guys putting your 7.1 in and how do you like it?

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Sorry about this double post! I just realized I already posted this before I went and had some awesome grilled salmon. The salmon was so good it made me forget I already posted this question. Good salmon can do that you know! Sorry!

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
My room is 11 1/2 by 27. It's long, and my 7.2 system takes full advantange of it. I think your room is a little small for 7.1 playback. I love it!!

SHAWN SZILEZY

Stunt Coordinator
Todd,
My setup is housed in a space of 15'x28'x7'. However, before I moved into my current home, my system occupied a space of 10'x12'x8'. It's never too small...that is like saying there is too much bass. :D

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
12.5' x 15.5' 7.1 seemed to give more of a spatial feeling here! Especially in the ice field in Titan AE!

I was close to the end wall though, the farther away the better so if you are 5 feet away that may be great!

My new room will be 11.5 x 19 should be even better.

Room 16 x 22. Love it. The sweet spot is about 7-8 feet from the rear side and rear-center speakers. I think it sounds great, well worth the effort to set up. I haven't listened critically to any of the newer 7.1 processors since I'm not looking for a reason to upgrade. I'm one of those poor folks who derive the back 3 channels (2side/2back speakers) from an old pro-logic receiver fed from the preouts of a Yamaha RXV2095, giving 5 front and 3 rear channels of information. The improvement by adding matrixed rear centers is effective with most dvds, giving a more engaging and seamless rear soundfield. And my incremental cost was zero, since I already had the receiver and speakers.

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I have a 7.1 system. Here is a link to old photos - the TV and cabinet has been replaced by a 100" FPTV screen and a new audio component shelf that sits below the screen with the center on top of it!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28828.html
The room is approximately 15 feet across and 30 feet long and 7.5 feet high. The seating position is about 15 feet from the new FPTV screen. The dipole surrounds are to the left and right of the couch and the rears are in-ceiling about 3 feet behind the seating position.
I love it!
Mike

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
15.5 x 16 x 8,

front - Paradigm Monitor 9;

center: Paradigm LCR-350

sides: Paradigm ADP

back: Monitor 5

Sub: PW-2200;

amplification was Denon 5800, is Denon 3300, will be Denon 5803 (waiting for delivery).

Usually at -15, -10 for movies; 0 fro demo for guests, but family complains....

_zjt

Larry Chanin

Stunt Coordinator
Todd:
Echoing what others have said, I think the most important factor for 7.1 is whether you have adequate space behind the primary listening position.
My home theater is about 24'x13.5'. Click my signature below to see the layout. I've recently upgraded to a Lexicon MC-1, and I need to update the photos of my setup to show it and a couple of additional amplifiers, but otherwise the photos should give you a pretty good idea of the the placement of speakers and seating.
On those rare occasions when I emerge from my room, I tell my friends that I've died and gone to home theater heaven!!
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Enjoy.
Larry

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Larry...

I'd like to get your thoughts on the side placement of your spks in 7.1. Lexicon says for best results is to have the side spks directly to the side of your sweet spot up about 2-3 feet if your aren't using tower spks. Your side spks seem to be a little behind your second row of seats with your "sweet" spot seating a few feet in front. Thanks!!

Larry Chanin

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Will:

I'll have to apologize a little for the accuracy of my layout drawing. The rear loveseats are actually about a foot or so further back so that the people sitting in the positions closest to the center of the room are just about in line with the side dipoles. (The drawing is off a little because I didn't want to obscure the labeling on the Rear Surround Subwoofer by placing it under the left surround.)

To elaborate on Lexicon's speaker placement recommendations, here's a complete excerpt from their Multi-Channel Music & Cinema Systems: Theory and Design white paper.

Optimum side speaker placement depends on your room and listening position, the type of speakers used, whether you are primarily interested in film sound or music, and aesthetics (which we’ll leave to you). If you have THX-type surround speakers, follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for placement. If you are sitting within six to seven feet of the main speakers, place the side speakers directly to the sides of the listening area. If you normally sit further away from the main speakers, the sides should be somewhat forward of the listening position, preferably angled back towards it. A bit of experimentation will prove very helpful. The goal is to blend the side speakers’ energy with the main speakers; you should not be distinctly aware of the output of the side speakers.

Side speaker height should be near the level of the ear. Placement near the ceiling/wall boundary may help disperse the sound, and will reinforce the bass response of the speaker, but very high placement can reduce the spaciousness that our true stereo processing provides. If pedestal or wall mounting proves impractical, ceiling-mounted speakers will suffice. Place them far apart and equidistant from the listening area.
So...based on their recommendation, instead of having them on the sides (as I have them) they "should be somewhat forward of the listening position". It is only laziness :b on my part that prevents me from experimenting with this forward placement. In addition, since I have two rows of seating, centering the side surrounds in the middle of both rows might be superior in providing good sound to all listening positions.

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks