Those with 7.1 setups, I need advice.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Just wondering what the dimensions of your room is with the 7.1 set up. I have a 15.5x 11.5 and am wondering if this is big enough for 7.1, or if it would be a waste and I should stick to 5.1. I will have aprox 5.5 feet behind couch for speakers if that matters. What do you think?

2. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

According to Dolby, you might consider 6.1, use only

one centre rear speaker because of the width of your

room being somewhat narrow.

3. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    My theater is 12x24 and I am running a 7.1 direct radiating with only around 4ft to the rear seating from the EX/ES channel. I have my Rear surrounds directly behind the couch with about 3ft in between each speaker. I think you will be fine with a 7.1 set up also.

Wes

4. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I think you will be just fine with a 7.1 setup. The way mine is set up, I know it is not the ideal place for them, but it sounds good. I have a 3ft island that seperates my living room from my kitchen, I have my 2 rear speakers setting on top of that, they are placed 4 inches apart. My couch sits right up against that back island so that puts my rear speakers 6 inches back from where I am sitting. It sounds great to me.

5. Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

How high are your rear center's above the listening position? level? I read HT Mag's THX Ultra 2 article and they suggested 7' behind, 2' above the listener and position both side by side.

I think I can do side by side and 2' above, but don't think i can do 7'. I can maybe do 3' - I assume proper calibration can make up the difference?

Thanks!