those older RPTVs

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bill Marsh, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Agent

I have a fantastic---to me--hi-def home theater. Itès taken a long time to get it right and until I move on to a dedicated theater room and front projection it will to nicely. However in the evolutionary process I still have a 5 or 6 year old Hitachi Ultrablavk 50 inch. The picture even when calibrated with video essentials or Avia cant compare to the Sony 53 but there must be ways of getting a better picture with it. Maybe a line doubler or something. At first I thought that a progressive scan dvd might be the answer but I have been informed that the progressive scan only runs through the compnent inputs and the Hitachi only has s-vhs. Any recommendations would be great as a secondary system would be nice.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Sounds like with s-video only that it's just a standard def set. So there's not much you can do besides calibrate it, tweak it, clean it, etc.

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Im sure a good cleaning and glare screen removal would help alot.

Best wishes

Gregg

4. len_casady

len_casady Auditioning

I had my old Toshiba RPTV cleaned and calibrated and it really gave new life to the set. I'm very satisfied with my sets picture quality even though its only standard def.

Len

5. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Agent

Thank you for your replies. Will clean and calibrate. I guess the idea of a line doubler is unworkable. What thinkest thou...

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Well, depends on the capability of the set. From what you said it only has s-video right? This seems to indicate it's just a standard res 480i set, and if that's all it handles, it won't display anything like line double video. So you'd be better off getting a new hi-def set if you wanted to do that.

7. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Agent

Well-as I said, its luckily a secondary system so perhaps I shouuld not expect so much. we are all tweakers and I know that my first-line Home Theater system has been fun to get where it is. Believe it or not I have 11 speakers hooked up to it which includes 5 subs (the front towers have powered subsÇ. Running 2 Boston HD7 with Energy 8 sub for center channel. Maybe overkill but it sounds great. One more question--does anyone know how to get into Hitachi Ultrablack service menu