1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Those of you with Sony TV's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by greg bawin, Jan 30, 2002.

1. greg bawin

greg bawin Auditioning

what setting do you put the picture on, vivid, standard, movie or sports??

i have my KV36FV27 set on standard right now, but i'm curious what the consensus is among sony owners...

2. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Greg,

Vivid and Standard modes should be avoided, unless the PICTURE level (contrast adjustment) is turned down to around 40% or below.

PRO and MOVIE modes disable SVM, which is a good thing.

I'd start with PRO or MOVIE mode, and turn contrast down to about 33% (ideally), and turn sharpness down to 25%. Keep brightness around 40-50% ane keep the color and hue adjustments centered.

That should get you close...

What you really need to do, is get yourself a copy of AVIA or Video Essentials to calibrate your set..

Hope this helps,

-Ryan Dinan

3. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

What Ryan said.

My 36XBR450 is set on PRO mode and calibrated with AVIA.

4. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Also make sure you set color temperature to Warm. Sony owners please confirm, but I'm sure I read somewhere that it's still closer to 6500 than the NTSC setting.

6. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

The "warm" color temp is definately closest to 6500k.

7. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

I use Movie mode for everything, including cable tv and video games. Very rarely I'll put it in Standard mode if I'm playing a really dark game, but never for longer than a few minutes. After I calibrated my tv with Avia, everything else is way too bright to my eyes in a dark room ...

Freddy C.

8. Robin Banks

Robin Banks Extra

I'll have to agree with what the others have said as well. You should definitely use the "WARM" setting for your picture modes.

Although there are three settings, I always use the "warm" mode for all of my viewing. It's virtually impossible for me to watch my XBR in any other setting without eye fatigue setting in. My set is in an environment where I can control the lighting, and there is NO practical use for the VIVID setting other than shortening the life of my set and my eyes. LOL!

I would strongly suggest obtaining a copy of VE or AVIA and performing a calibration. You won't be disappointed. Good luck.

9. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

Like Doug mentioned, they're basically factory default settings that are supposed to make people go "ooooooh" on the showroom floor. First thing I did was turn down the picture setting to ~33% on all four modes to save the CRT. I then calibrated the Movie mode with Avia for DVDs. I used the same settings for Standard mode and then tweaked them to try to clean up my crappy cable signal. I don't ever use the Vivid or Sports modes.

I seem to be in the minority here, but the Warm temperature setting makes the whites look really yellow to my eyes, so I just leave it at Normal. Does the Warm=6500K setting apply to all Wegas or just certain models?

10. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Mine is set on "Neutral" in the "PRO" mode. I calibrated with AVIA and I think that Neutral looks best. If Warm looks better to some or most, that is fine, but I'm leaving mine where it is.

11. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    BrainKM, you're not alone on your opinion of the Warm color temperature setting on the VVEGA. It affects whites too much for my taste as well. This is VERY apparent when watching black and white films. I have my set calibrated with AVIA on the Neutral temp and prefer it that way.

DP

12. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I use the neutral setting on my VVEGA. It's the one that looks most natural according to the calibration patterns in VE. The warm setting turns everything way too blue for my tastes.