What's new

Those fun filled beach movies - where are they? (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Since the sixties was my youthful decade I can't help but have a fondness for most films of that period. As the beach films starring Annette Funicello and Frakie Avalon were released by MGM I eagerly bought them. Simplistic fun sure, but there are times when movies like these are quite watchable. I was reading a book that interviewed 20 actresses from that period that were a bit lesser known - and I never realised how many spinoffs the other Studios made because of the success of those AIP pictures. I hope some of them get released, and some other interesting films not of the beach genre but with a "youth" theme.

MGM :

Get Yourself A college Girl '64
Girl Happy '65
When The Boys Meet The Girls '65

FOX :

Way Way Out '66

PARAMOUNT :

Norwood '70
It's Only Money '62
Summer & Smoke '61
Girls On the Beach '65
Beach Ball '65

WARNERS :

Kisses For My President
Parrish '61

UNIVERSAL :

Out Of Sight '66

UNITED :

For Those That Think Young '64
One Way Wahine '65
Teenage Millonaire '61

COLUMBIA :

For Singles Only '68
Winter A Go-Go '65

AIP :

It's A Bikini World '65

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
A couple of titles seem quite out of place.

Summer And Smoke (1961) is neither a beach film or a youth film but a Tennessee Williams drama about a sexually repressed Southern spinster (Geraldine Page) and her unrequited love for the hedonistic doctor (Laurence Harvey) next door.

Kisses For My President (1965) is about the first woman president (Polly Bergen) and the difficulties her husband (Fred MacMurray) has adjusting to his role of "first lady".

walter o

Supporting Actor
NORWOOD to me, was a silly "feel good" comedy to showcase Glen Campbell as a leading man, not a youth movie, but he was likable and the film was really funny, with his pet chicken, as well as a sexy turn by Carol Lynley, sweet turn by Kim Darby and a funny part for Joe Namath. Never been on video, I taped it off TV back in 1985, and even have the soundtrack LP!Wouldn't really fall into the "youth" catagory IMHO

PARRISH is to me, a Southern Fried Soap Opera, instead of a "Youth" film. glad I still have my old OOP VHS tape of it from Warner.

Glad you mentioned TEENAGE MILLIONARE, that was a fun one, wonder if a soundtrack LP was ever released, love the song "Going Back to School Blues" by the kid who played Jimmy Olsen in the Superman show!

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I like the idea. Would these titles from the latter part of the period qualify?:

Out of It (1969) - Paul Williams' Long Island-set youth movie stars Jon Voight in his first screen role. This was a UA film and was shot in B&W.

Making It (1971) - Teenage comedy/drama starring a young Bob Balaban and Don Siegel and Viveca Lindfors' son Kristoffer Tabori. Never available on home video. A FOX release.

Maybe too much of a downer, but Frank Perry's Fire Island-set youth drama Last Summer (1969) is a fascinating time capsule from this period, as well. It's been mentioned here before as an Allied Artists title--WB's now. With quite youthful versions of Barbara Hershey, Bruce Davison, Richard Thomas, and the rarely-heard-from-again Catherine Burns (Oscar-nominated for her role).

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Some of the films listed are not beach/youth movies I admit , guess I should not rush into it reading from a haphazard list scribbled on a notepad. My mistake.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
'walter o", the Jack Larson who appears in Teenage Millionaire is not the same one from The Adventures of Superman. This is a completely different person. I saw the film on cable a few months back and I am defintely sure of this.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Thanks Charles for pointing that out, my brother kept saying "that is not him, this guy looks more like Paul Gleason than the guy who played Jimmy Olsen" and I thought he was right, but imdb said otherwise, so guess his hunch was correct.

What a bizarre movie though, the music segments had really no ties with the film itself, it was more like a music video show. Nice to see the late Billy Black and his Combo perform.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks