Those annoying registration stickers

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, May 17, 2003.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Ever since NJ enacted a law putting stickers based on your registration on your license plate for your automobile, it's been a PITA every year to get the old one off, razor blades usually work but sometimes they are just impossible to cleanly get off. This year, I've decided to try something new. I simply cut a piece of paper a little smaller than the rectangle shape of the sticker and put that on the center and then simply put the new sticker on after removing the old. In this way, only the outside of the sticker needs to be razored off, hopefully making it easier next year.

Of course, theres the gazillion of drivers out there who have no idea where the upper right corner is on their license plate, my sister included. [​IMG]

Jay

2. Mike Slade

Mike Slade Second Unit

I don't know if this is the same thing we have here in GA (small sticker with the year), but I always just put the new sticker on top of the old one. No reason I see to take the old one off.

3. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

we have used those stickers in Ohio for over 20 years, just stick the new one over the old one and scrape them off about every 5 years, if you still have that plate
    you do not want to use the paper trick, you run the chance of losing the sticker and then getting a ticket

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    In California cheap crooks go around and steal the stickers for use by themselves. We tend to cut them off if the stack gets too high, and also once we put them on we score them with razor blades so they won't come off in a nice piece.

5. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> I always just put the new sticker on top of the old one. No reason I see to take the old one off.

Same here.

6. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

7. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Same here in Arkansas. Place the new sticker over the old one. (And I think the front plate is a silly idea.)

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i think i got my personalized plate sometime around mid 80's. i've putting the registration sticker on top of the old one ever since.

so i must be somewhere around 15 high by now...

9. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

In texas the stickers are put inside the front windshield in the bottom drivers side corner. Had to scrape those off though, but they were pretty big and easy to get off. From what I've been told they used to do license plate stickers, but got rid of them because of the theft issue.

In Illinois we had license plate stickers and we would always just put the new one on top of the old one. Never scraped those off.

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I know I can stick them on top of them, but it's ugly... It's me just wanting a clean car. We're supposed to have front plates, but I don't run one on my MR2, I think it's ugly and haven't had a problem yet. In order for the dealer to install a front plate, it has to drill two holes in the sheetmetal which I absolutely do not want to do so when I got the car, I explicetly told them not to put the front bracket on it. I know of a way to put the plate into the air dam for the radiator without drilling holes into the hood but so far I've haven't had a problem.

Jay

11. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

In Nebraska, they change plate designs every three years, so the stack of stickers never gets very thick...

12. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

On my ATV I just put the new registration stickers on top of the old ones. SInce I don't have my driver's license yet, I don't register my truck, since I don't drive it yet.

13. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

In California, the plate stays with the car for as long as it's continuously registered unless the owner buys vanity plates.

On older collectibles the presence of the original plates is a plus because it means the car's been in continous use since new, not a resurrected wrecking yard hulk.

My ex and I share custody of a '61 Corvair Lakewood with the original black plates (and 317,000 miles) Needless to say we don't have 42 years worth of stickers in the upper right hand corner!

14. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    In Missouri, you have to show your personal property tax receipt in order to get your registration sticker. So, therefore, the theft of stickers is huge.

First, they were on the bottom right of the license plate. The sticker bandits started stealing them. So, the state started scoring them. Still stolen. Then, they started recommending slicing them with a razor blade. The sticker bandits just put a piece of tape across the sticker before using a razor blade to steal it. Or, they just cut the bottom right part of your license plate away with tin snips.

So, the state no says to put the sticker in the middle of the plate. Still not a solution. It's just in a different spot, but still removable.

The real problem is that there is no easy way for law enforcement to trace a sticker back to a particular car. So, no victim, no crime. Possessing the sticker is not a crime, either. And, even if you can find a victim, the sticker value is whatever the license renewel was, so it's a misdemeanor.

So, low risk, no payment of taxes, ease of theft = thousands of sticker thefts each year in Kansas City!

15. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

In North Carolina, the stickers have the vehicle's licence plate number on them to deter theft. This seems to be a pretty good solution, since I have never heard any complaints about sticker theft while living here.

16. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

We just recently received the new registraton for my wife's car. Somehow she managed to lose the sticker. We still have the registration paper that shows the car was registered but no sticker to put on the license plate. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Can I get a replacement from the DMV? Do I even need to worry about it since I have the registration paper? I'm not sure what to do about this.

17. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

18. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman

They do this in Florida now too. It started 2-3 years a go.

Florida requires a new plate about every 3-4 years, so I just place the new sticker on top of the old one. The rule may be different for the vanity plates.

19. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

We just recently received the new registraton for my wife's car. Somehow she managed to lose the sticker. We still have the registration paper that shows the car was registered but no sticker to put on the license plate. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Can I get a replacement from the DMV? Do I even need to worry about it since I have the registration paper? I'm not sure what to do about this.
    ========================================

Tim,

One year I got my new sticker and forgot to put it on the car for an entire year, until the following year's sticker arrived in the mail.

I was never stopped because I did not have a current sticker on the car.

As long as you have the registration paper in the car the worst that will happen is a fixit ticket if you get stopped, and I would wait for that unlikely event before dealing with CA's DMV.

20. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter