What's new

THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE - does anyone have it (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Doesn anyone have thoroughly modern millie yet? Does it have the Overture, Intermission Music and Exit Music.
Is the sound 4.0, 3.0 or two channel mixdown?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Joe,
I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is the dvd has the Overture, Intermission Music and Exit Music. The bad news is that the sound is 2.0 channel.

Crawdaddy

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
street date is 6/03.
it was pushed back from March i believe.

i've been looking forward to this one.
although for the life of me i can't remember anything about the film, i do remember that i thoroughly loved it when they showed it on HBO when i was a kid (boy...will this post date me).

after reading the plot synopsis- how can anyone not be excited about seeing Julie Andrews & a pre-MTM show Mary Tyler Moore in a musical comedy about White Slavery :D

Can't Wait till Tues!

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
It really is a funny film. I enjoyed it years ago, and when I took out my VHS of it a while back, it really had me laughing. I did not expect it to make such an impact on me once again. It's very cleverly timed, and the musical numbers are wonderfully staged.

Julie is so great, as is the whole cast. I, too, can't wait for the DVD!

"Do the bunch of you promise to succumb whole heartily to the merriment?!!" - Carol Channing as Muzzy Van Hossmere in "Thoroughly Modern Millie"

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
just what exactly is 4.0 and 3.0?

i've seen Joe voice his disappointment about not getting 4.0 mixes on other older material.
were these films actually shown in theaters with seperate sounds coming out of 4 or 3 distinct channels?

or was it the same stereo mix front and back?
can't most full featured recievers replicate this (i'm guessing that is what is meant by matrixed surround)?

since all the seating in my HT is off-axis, unless a soundtrack is 5.1 at least, i'd much rather just get the sound localized to the center channel.
much less of a distraction, & better imaged to the screen, than 2 channel.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
We keep on getting promises from the studios that everything is better in home vid thatn it used to be. We have a system that is capable of doing multichannel sound and we no longer have to depend on matrixed surround sound (everything being mixed to two channels and trying to recreate the original film experience from two channels.) Most of the films you have seen me mention in the past few weeks were all released in four channel stereo - three channels behind the screen and a mono surround track. I have now bought so many films in the pst few weeks that are two channel mixdowns from four channel originals, that it is ridiculous. With MILLIE I had hope. A few months ago, Universal released Sweet Charity with 4.0 sound, NOT a two channel mixdown and now they backtrack here. Fox has jsut released From the Terrace, sink the Bismark, Long HOt Summer, and Blue Max - all in 2.0 not the 4.0 they should be. Again I ask, Why, Why Why?
We have yet to see an answer from Foxxs Peter Staddon on this and we will NEVER get an answer form Coleen Benn at Universal - trust me.

SteveP

Second Unit
Matrixed Surround is a 2-channel mix that can be decoded to produce a left-center-right-mono surround effect.

Dolby Digital and DTS Surround can produce genuine separate channels for left-center-right-left surround-right surround and low frequence bass effects.

Although somewhat overlong (due to the fact that Universal wanted a big Julie Andrews roadshow picture-a la THE SOUND OF MUSIC --against the wishes of Ms. Andrews and director George Roy Hill, who envisioned it as a smaller, non- roadshow release) the movie is, on the whole, quite amusing; giving the cast of seasoned professionals multiple chances to shine and utilizing Julie Andrews' vast musical comedy know-how to its fullest comic potential.

(Universal's exploitation paid off--this was the studio's highest grossing film of all time, prior to AIRPORT, three years later)

This was released in its initial reserved-seat engagements in 70MM-six track stereo, and a 35MM four-track magnetic stereo print was recently screened at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, so there is no good reason why Universal could not have released the DVD in Dolby Digital 4.0 stereo.

"Millie, machines, like gloves, should be either black or white."--Mary Tyler Moore as Miss Dorothy Brown in THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
hmmmm.
One front channel and three in the back.
that sounds interesting.

what kind of information was being mixed to the back usually?
was it just music mostly-or ambient sound- or special effects?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
As for the DVD itself, I am pleased with the
widescreen anamorphic presentation,
as I had never seen this film other than on
television or VHS (both MAR) prior to seeing it on DVD.

And the DVD is very cheap! (I got mine for 11.99, at
a local super mart, that goofed (clearly) on the street
date, as I saw it sitting in their sales racks last Tuesday
and grabbed it.

Hillariously campy now.

Features the worst impersonation of an Asian by an Anglo, ever...and yes, I've seen Peter Sellers in Murder By Death and Katherine Hepburn in that film she is in with fake eyelids. (What were they thinking?) :eek:

Mark

SteveP

Second Unit
Kate in DRAGON SEED was not one of her happier moments.

Beatrice Lillie in THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE is not playing an Oriental, but a Caucasian in cahoots with the White Slave Trade of the period.

The film itself is a satire of the conventions of the popular culture of the 1920's, rather than of the 1920's itself.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
There is nostalgia involved with Millie for us hard core musical buffs.
James Fox does the number,The Tapioca. He is dubbed by James Bryant who also sang the part of Tony in West Side Story,
At one part in the film, John Gavin sees Mary Tyler Moore and starts to sing ot himself, Ah Sweet Mystery of Life. His singing is dubbed by Bill Lee, the last soundtrack he did before he passed away. Bill Sang for John Kerr in South Pacific, Christopher Plummer in Sound of Music, George Nader in the second Greatest sex, Matt Matoxx in Seven Brides for seven Brothers and Edson Stroll in Sow White and the Three Stooges. Bill also sang the title song in Gods Little Acre.
bill started a family of dubbers and performers. His wife Adabeth is one of the songs singing the song Maria in Sound of music. His daughter, Diane sand for Liv Ullman in Lost horizon - the musical and she sang for Samantha Eggar in Doctor Dolittle. She also sang for one of the children in Willy Wonka.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
SteveP-

I suspected that, but wasn't sure. The film does
seem to be a "send up," that often winks, knowlingly,
at us. (Any movie that opens with Julie Andrews looking
into the camera, with the silent era-esque captions,
stating she wished her breasts were smaller, knows it
is a satire...

Mark

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Mark ;

Surely the worst impersonation of an Asian by an Anglo, ever, MUST go to Mickey Rooney in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S.

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner
Universal released Sweet Charity with 4.0 sound, NOT a two channel mixdown and now they backtrack here
Maybe the 4.0 Channel version of "TMM" no longer exists, but that doesnt mean Universal has totally given up on restoring multichannel sountracks when applicable. I was expecting 2.0 dolby surround on Universal's upcoming "Sgt. Pepper" DVD Turns out that it will contain the film's 6-channel soundtrack in BOTH Dolby Digital AND DTS. here's the proof:
http://homevideo.universalstudios.co...?childId=34057
Remember, This is the studio that Restored the sensurround on the DVDs of "Rollercoaster" & "Battllestar Galatica" before DVDs really became popular.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
As has been said here, a four channel print was recently run in L.A. the masters most certainly exist. Why didn't Universal use it?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
As has been said here, a four channel print was recently run in L.A. the masters most certainly exist. Why didn't Universal use it?
Agreed Joe. That's a irony that should NOT exist between the restored release-print and the DVD edition.

I'm still saying my prayers for Hello Dolly!!!

BTW, I'm still happy to get Millie on DVD. It's been a long wait and I'm so excited about OAR 16x9 WS. 4.0 would have been so welcome (as it would have with Affair to remember et all).

dave :)

SteveP

Second Unit
I believe the four-track mag print shown at the Egyptian was a vintage print from 1967.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks