THORN-EMI/HBO film library - who owns the rights?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Esten, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

I remember quite a few films released on video by them in the 80s,that i've never seen released again.
    So,anyone know?
    Thanks.[​IMG]

2. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Okay, little complicated, so bear with me.

The former THORN EMI company started the label. They primarily released titles that they owned which had been released by other companies, such as HONKY TONK FREEWAY, DEATH ON THE NILE, and Ealing Studios comedies. At that time, they also did a lot of licensing from independents like New Line, New World, Miramax, and many one-shots.

After a few years, HBO merged with them, and along with that merger brought in a big licensing deal with Orion. As this was going on, the Thorn EMI library was sold twice to different owners, and their name was eventually phased out of the title, to become HBO Video.

So, to properly answer your question, I would have to know the titles you're looking for. As a guide:

Anything that was an EMI production is now owned by StudioCanal, and licensed to Anchor Bay;

The various deals made with other companies, save the defunct Savoy, are expired. Miramax, New Line, and the pre- and post-Roger Corman New World titles are all under their own home video company departments.

Anything that was a direct HBO production, like their TV movies, or that they helped finance, like GO TELL THE SPARTANS, THE CHANGELING, and FORT APACHE THE BRONX, are still there.

3. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

The titles are:
    Highway To Hell
    Heavenly Kid
    Howling 2
    Meatballs 4
    Night Of The Creeps
    Stepfather 2
    Hardware
    Off the top of my head.There are more.. i just can't remember at the moment.

4. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

^bump^

5. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Very well then:

HIGHWAY TO HELL, HOWLING II, MEATBALLS 4, and THE HEAVENLY KID are all now owned by MGM.

NIGHT OF THE CREEPS is a TriStar picture that is now with Columbia TriStar Home Video

STEPFATHER 2 was released from HBO's Miramax deal, but was actually an ITC production. ITC's library is now owned by Carlton Communications. Many of the more recent ITC productions have been licensed by a company called Barnholtz Entertainment, and in turn they have licensed the DVD rights to Artisan. So try there. Some ITC titles like HAWK THE SLAYER and THE COMPANY OF WOLVES, are being licensed to the smaller Hens Tooth Video, so try them too.

Finally, HARDWARE is a Miramax property. I doubt that they themselves will release it, as it was released unrated and Disney does not like unrated videos, so this could fall under the Anchor Bay sublicensing situation they have had.

That cover it all?

6. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

That's it for now... if i think of any more... i'll ask.[​IMG]
    I wasn't sure about 'The Heavenly Kid',because i thought Warner got all the pre-1986 Orion titles? Guess not.
    Thanks a bunch,Mark.