Real Name
Sean
IMG_2941.JPG

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Funny. In this interview (given the same day) he isn't quite as specific about the run time (which clearly isn't finalized at this point either way).

"there's a 2 and a half hour cut for sure, umm there's a 2 hour cut, there's probably a 100 minute cut..."

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Funny. In this interview (given the same day) he isn't quite as specific about the run time (which clearly isn't finalized at this point either way).

Definitely seems in flux about it. I'm betting on the 100 minute cut.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
IMG_8235.jpg

Definitely seems in flux about it. I'm betting on the 100 minute cut.

Looks like the run time is 130 minutes (2:10), which seems much more appropriate for such a film.

Fandango had the run time listed as 2:10 (or 130), and then AMC also had the same time listed. AMC indicated that runtime information came from Disney.

And Taika Waititi tweeted the above.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It wouldn't be the longest MCU movie, but if that's correct, it would be the longest Thor by about 10-15 mins.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Tickets are now onsale for the opening weekend. I purchased mine for IMAX 3D. It was also just announced that the IMAX 3D presentation will feature shifting aspect ratios, similar to what Marvel has used on past IMAX presentations like Guardians Of The Galaxy and Doctor Strange.

I've also noticed that Disney has booked the first showings (Thursday 6pm on November 2nd) under the title "Thor Ragnarok Opening Night Fan Event". Essentially, it seems like they are calling the first screening an "event" and throwing in a souvenir (looks like a poster at some theaters, a fake coin at others) and a bonus featurette, and using that as justification to charge $30 a ticket instead of whatever your local theater normally charges. Since I live in an area where a movie ticket is close to that price anyhow, it's not that huge of a bump, but for areas that are used to paying closer to $10 a ticket, that's a massive bump. Disney did the same thing with Beauty And The Beast earlier in the year.

I'm concerned that this may be a new trend going forward. With all films losing their theatrical legs (it seems that a movie is "over" after it's first couple weeks in a best case scenario), with the mass audience generally only willing to come out for big event pictures, and with new services like MoviePass devaluing what a regular movie ticket is worth, this may be Disney's way of fighting back -- want to see a highly anticipated movie opening night? You'll pay through the nose. Don't want to pay? Risk the movie being out of theaters a week later, or risk having it spoiled for you before you can get to it. If Disney wanted to introduce dynamic pricing for their films, can you imagine what they could get away with charging for, say, a Star Wars opening night? "Want to see The Last Jedi on opening night? That'll be $100 for the first show, $50 for the first day, $30 for the rest of the opening weekend, and then $20 the next week." It seems that ugly future could be heading towards us, if these new "event night" openings are the beginning of a trend.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wish Lucasfilm had the courage to make Star Wars movies the way Marvel makes superhero movies. To me it looks like Lucasfilm keeps losing its nerve.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wish Lucasfilm had the courage to make Star Wars movies the way Marvel does it. From the outside it looks like Lucasfilm keeps losing its nerve.

It's taken Marvel a little while to get their sea legs - I think Lucasfilm will eventually get there. In my view, I think they simply need to focus their spin-offs on areas of the Star Wars Universe that haven't been covered in the main saga movies. There are expectations for both style and substance that come with telling stories that tie so closely to one of the most established storylines and visual aesthetics in film history. Once they stop trying to do everyone's origin story, and stop trying to make mountains out of molehills by turning every subplot and/or unexplained line of dialogue from the originals into their own movies, and instead focus on new characters and new scenarios, they'll be fine. I think they were also worried about brand confusion by having both saga movies and spin-offs coming out on top of each other, so the spin-offs probably got weighed down with some extra "it needs to be obvious how it fits into the big picture" mandates that they didn't need.

In my view, they probably should have done this new trilogy first, released every other year, and then moved on to spin-off movies after that. Then, after a few years of spin-offs, they could have returned to another saga. I'm not sure that rotating each type on a yearly basis, and releasing a Star Wars movie every single year like clockwork, is in the best interests of the franchise. I'm not saying they shouldn't do anything -- but I think the pressure of "this movie comes out next year, ready or not" is an unnecessary burden they've taken on. Thor 3 was originally planned for 2016 and got bumped early on. Marvel isn't afraid to shuffle their calendar, or just drop things off it completely, if it's not working or needs more time or if they suddenly have a better idea of what should come first.

I don't actually believe any of the rumors that Kathleen Kennedy's job is in danger or that she's fed up with working there, but if a change was made down the road, Disney may want to look and see if Kevin Feige has any proteges on the Marvel side that they can groom.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's taken Marvel a little while to get their sea legs -
Yeah and since one franchise has four movies (two of which haven't been seen) and the other has about 20 movies, I don't think you can even compare two. However if you look at the first four Marvel movies, it was Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk. Iron Man 2 and Thor. I don't think there is one person in the world that would say that those are the four best movies from Marvel.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yeah and since one franchise has four movies (two of which haven't been seen) and the other has about 20 movies, I don't think you can even compare two. However if you look at the first four Marvel movies, it was Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk. Iron Man 2 and Thor. I don't think there is one person in the world that would say that those are the four best movies from Marvel.

The original Iron Man is typically up near the top of the majority of people's lists of their favorite Marvel films. At least in my experience of reading discussions about that topic. It's certainly up near the top of mine.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, but they weren't repeatedly changing directors (officially or unofficially) mid-movie. And I think the first IRON MAN movie is pretty good.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Maybe not directors, but Iron Man 2 had major script and shooting issues, and Incredible Hulk was known at the time to be a troubled production. A lot of Phase 2 didn't get the critical acclaim that most of Phase 1 did. They had their share of growing pains, but they did enough right that they held on to their audience as they got better at making movies. I think they still suffer from "third act everything goes ka-blooey" syndrome but on the whole they've righted the ship.

I think Lucasfilm will eventually do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks