What's new

Thor: Love and Thunder (2022) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well technically him just being there and living a normal life is still the exact same messing with the timeline, since it never happened originally.

Sure, but you know by "messing with the timeline" I meant major, obvious ways, not just being there in a subdued way.

"Stopping JFK from being assassinated" feels like more messing than living a quiet married life!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Shooting on Thor: Love and Thunder starts shooting at Fox Studios Australia in January:

Natalie Portman and her family are already in Australia, where she is working with fitness trainers:

I strongly disagree that Steve went about "righting wrongs" in his alternate timeline. He would've been too committed to the idea of not mucking with the "real timeline".

Really can't believe that would've happened!
I think it all depends on whether you buy into the Russo Brothers' conception of time travel via the quantum realm or Markus & McFeely's conception of time travel via the quantum realm.

Under the Russos' theory, each visit to the past created a new reality; even Hawkeye's brief visit to his family from before the Snap. The past can't be changed because they're not really visiting the past of their timeline, they're visiting a past of a different timeline. Loki disappearing from SHIELD custody in 2012 would obviously set that reality on a very different path than the main MCU reality, for instance.

If the Russos are right, anything Cap did in his alternate timeline would have no effect on the main MCU reality. He could chart a very different, better path for that reality because he knew a lot of the problems to watch out for. By the time he left and returned to the main MCU reality, things in his new reality would have been potentially so different from the main MCU reality that he would no longer be able to predict what would happen. After Peggy passed away in that reality, he used the time travel device to return to the time he left in the main reality, and then waited for Bucky and Sam on the park bench.

Under Markus and McFeely's theory, all of the various realities and timelines reunified once the stones were returned to the points in time from which they were borrowed.

If Markus and McFeely are right, then Cap was Peggy's secret husband all along and he kept a low profile to avoid contaminating the timeline. He never used the time travel device after going back to 1948. Time passed normally for him until he caught up to the day he left, when he went to the park and sat on the bench waiting for Bucky and Sam.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yep, it'll be Feige's call when he oversees what direction the MCU takes with this in future stories. I'd say that with the MCU clearly leaning into the "multiverse" it makes sense to go with the Russos' take.

The fact that this question even exists does bug me a bit, because while Endgame was clear that things worked a certain way there was some dialogue (particularly the conversation between the Ancient One and Banner) that kind of muddies the waters. Markus and McFeely are great writers, and they have on multiple occasions worked closely with the Russos in breaking the stories of the movies they worked on together as a team, and all of them are basically the best of the MCU. So it just seems so weird that the directors and writers aren't on the same page about this aspect of the story. And, to me, their take doesn't fit well with the concept that the plot of Endgame was based on. The movie goes out of it's way to say that using time travel to stop Thanos from snapping half the universe out of existence simply can't work. You can go back and change that, stop him, but you'd only be changing things for what is now a new alternate timeline/reality. The original timeline would remain unchanged. That is flat out the premise that the movie followed. Steve Rogers therefore understood these rules (because that's why they did things the way they did with the time heist). So when he decided to go back to Peggy and stay, he would know that he doesn't have to worry about "preserving the timeline" because he knows that you can't change the original timeline (because "Endgame"). So Steve should be able to steer his new timeline into a better future.

If this isn't clarified sooner, I'll bet it will be clarified later when the Russos likely return for a big MCU event like "Secret Wars".

But I'd be thrilled if there was some sort of clarification (even if just subtle) in The Multiverse of Maddness.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The cynic in me thinks it’s clearly the Russo answer, that everyone knows it and that it was written that way on purpose, but as the Captain America franchise stewards, the two writers want in their hearts for Cap to return to the same Peggy, instead of Cap going to a world where there’s another frozen him left out in the cold as he moves in on that version’s sweetie.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Chris Pratt is joining Love and Thunder.

While this isn't much of a surprise given that Endgame left Thor with the Guardians, it does seem odd that so far Pratt is the only one confirmed. It would seem that if you're going to have one Guardian of the Galaxy, you'd need them all (except perhaps Zoe Saldana, since their third movie would seem to involve searching for her.). But certainly I would expect that where Star-Lord goes, so goes Drax, Rocket, Groot, and Mantis. The Guardians splitting up in the course of Vol. 2 and Infinity War did not exactly work out the way the characters wanted, so you'd think they'd stick together now.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Natalie Portman was on Jimmy Kimmel Live tonight (Monday) from Australia.

Last edited:

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Not gonna lie, I am kind of looking forward to seeing what a 'jacked' Natalie Portman will look like. I can't even imagine.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Jaimie Alexander will be returning As Sif.

I was hoping to see her back.

I am thrilled to read this. I loved her as Sif and always hoped she'd have more screen time. Of course, now no one can imagine anyone but Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, but there was a time before she was cast that I thought Jaimie Alexander would have been great. I watched some of her show, Blindspot, but it became too hard to follow.

There were even rumors, once upon a time, about her getting her own Disney+ show. Maybe that can still happen in the next wave of Marvel shows.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I am thrilled to read this. I loved her as Sif and always hoped she'd have more screen time. Of course, now no one can imagine anyone but Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, but there was a time before she was cast that I thought Jaimie Alexander would have been great. I watched some of her show, Blindspot, but it became too hard to follow.

There were even rumors, once upon a time, about her getting her own Disney+ show. Maybe that can still happen in the next wave of Marvel shows.
Those rumors of Sif getting her own Disney+ show are still strong in the mill. Hope it pans out.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If she's in it, and Pratt has already been confirmed, I bet we're going to see all the Guardians except Zoe Saldana.

Given the conclusion of Endgame, I think it is a reasonable assumption that the third Guardians film involves the search for Gamora. That means they would need to leave her out of Thor in order to avoid stepping on the toes of that film. But I said in here when Pratt was announced that it would make sense for all the other Guardians to go where he does, so I think this supports that theory.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks