What's new

Thor 2 opens on November 6, 2013 (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Maybe he can search for a horse in New Mexico in Thor 3. Or a dog large enough to be ridden.No way Loki isn't a key player in Thor 3. That movie is 3 - 3.5 years away, and Tom Hiddleston is very popular now, and will probably grow more so between now and 2016/2017.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Adam Lenhardt said:
It's possible that if there's a "Thor 3", they'll just keep Thor away from Asgard and avoid the issue.
Anything is possible, but I would highly doubt that. The reveal at the end wasn't just a throw away wink. It is a major big deal, and there is no way it won't be a significant aspect of Thor 3. I'd bet that Thor 3 will deal with Ragnorak, possibly involving Surtur, and I see Thor finally ascending to the Throne in the end. Maybe. Or it could be something else entirely. But I'd put my money on that direction. That would then put Thor in an interesting position as King of Asgard if Avengers 3 is a huge cosmic level conflict against Thanos. It makes sense for him to be living on Earth as a hero now leading to Avengers 2 since it will be an Earth-based, technological threat the Avengers will assemble to deal with. Him already being here definitely makes that simpler. But I think with where they are probably going with Avengers 3 (epic, cosmic conflict) that it might make more sense for him to be back in Asgard, maybe on the Throne, for when that develops.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Sean Bryan said:
Yes, I hope that's not true. She would be perfect for the role. Such a beautiful woman with a strong presence. I want to see more of her.Frankly, I hope that Thor 3 just has a minimal jumping off point from Midgard and that the entirety takes place in the other realms. I'd love a big, important part for the Lady Sif. I want her and the Warriors Three to have significant roles throughout the entire film. Their stuff was good in The Dark World, but it was so little it was a shame. I loved every minute they were on screen on both films, and they really should be used more.When Odin suggested to Thor that he should be with her instead of pining for the mortal, I was like "God-damn right he should be with her!"
:) I already "pre-wrote" my review (so it'll already be done when I review the Blu-ray next year) and commented that I think Sif's a better match - she's got a more compatible character/personality, and dammit,she's hotter!

Of course, I also think Kat Dennings is much hotter than Portman, so what do I know? :)

Maybe once Thor sees Sif in that dress she wore to the premiere, he'll come to his senses! :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Sean Bryan said:
SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Found these quotes from Hopkins, Taylor and Feige that seem quite significant.So yeah, the surprise at the end definitely leaves you wondering what actually happened to Odin, but my thoughts were that Loki had somehow managed to trick him and imprison him. That he may have outright killed him is pretty dark indeed.However, I don't think Hopkins and Taylor are the ones who have the definitive word in this. Fiege definitely is the one with the bigger picture in mind. So it may be more complicated than that.In the comics, there is precedent for Asgardians "dying" and going to the realm of Hel - the Realm of the dead who are neither honored nor dishonored. It is ruled by Hela. And some have occasionally been brought back from this realm.So, perhaps Odin is "dead" and in Hel with the possibility of him still playing a role in Thor 3. Perhaps Loki actually did die and made a deal with Hela that if he is sent back he would deliver Odin to her?I think it is really cool that they have done something like this. Either way, there's more story to tell about all of this that will no doubt be the focus of Thor 3.Also of note are Loki's words to Kurse: "I'll see you in Hel"
This is the world of comic books - no one is EVER truly dead. If they want, they'll find a way to bring back Frigga - say it was a clone or whatever who died. You can never ever trust comics to actually kill anyone.
ESPECIALLY in a case like Odin's. There's no corpse. There's no battle to show his death. There's no statement that he's dead - he's just impersonated, so there are jillions of possible explanations for his absence.

No disrespect to Hopkins, but just because he doesn't want to play the role again doesn't mean that they must kill the character - they can just recast him. No one's irreplaceable in situations like this - if they want Odin in a future film and Hopkins declines, they'll find someone else without any hesitation.

Which might not be a bad thing, as I think Hopkins looked kinda bored in "Dark World"...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
Thor pretty much beat him in the first movie, that's what I meant. Nothing against Hiddleston, but if every Iron Man movie had the Madarin as the villain, I'd have a problem with it!
But he's not the villain in "Dark World". Heck, he actually comes across as semi-heroic - leave out the last scene and we'd be able to drop the "semi"!

The Teletubby-looking elf is the villain here,not Loki...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Colin Jacobson said:
But he's not the villain in "Dark World". Heck, he actually comes across as semi-heroic - leave out the last scene and we'd be able to drop the "semi"!
He's a tier 2 villain here, something else for the hero to overcome. Not in league with the main baddies, but he would betray everyone at the drop of a hat...and, arguably, he does by the end.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Also of note:Whatever is Odin's true fate (dead and in Valhalla, dead and in Hel, alive but banished to Hel, alive and imprisoned, etc...), Thor is ultimately responsible since he freed Loki. That's not going to sit well with him.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I agree with James Berardinelli's review. Tom Hiddleston has more screen presence & really when he was on screen, it made the film much better. His moments with Thor saves the film.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Thor is my favorite Marvel film...and I thought The Dark World was really lousy.Good chemistry with the cast, but other than that, I thought it was really just a half hearted mess.Except for the psych ward science lecture scene, the humor made me cringe. It was out of place and forced. Darcys character.... ugh. Please.. make it stop.And that mid credits sequence = a huge WTF... Where was that filmed, in a storage space with a local high school supplying props? It was Galaxina bad.My expectations were low and this was a big disappointment to me. I was hoping Thor wouldnt be another Iron Man with a solid first film and 2 crappy sequels.Great characters, a really good cast, lots of amazing source material to adapt from... what a waste.

Edit: I will admit the Loki bits were really well done in this film and Hiddleston owns the role.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sean Bryan said:
The thing is, if Loki is going to maintain the illusion of being Odin, they'd still need Hopkins to play Loki in that form.Once Loki is "outed", even though Thor doesn't want the throne, he certainly wouldn't let Loki stay there. So Thor 3 should need Hopkins for at least a brief appearance. Or not. Who knows what they'll do. But Loki on the Throne of Asgard (possibly having killed or banished Odin to do so) is a HUGE deal.

They can always cast Michael Gambon in the role.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Thor is up there as one of my favorites of Phase 1. I was abit underwhelmed by The Dark World on my first viewing, but I'm happy to say that I enjoyed it much more on my second viewing. There's simply some really cool stuff and some very nice performances in this. Not to mention all of the action is clearly a big step up from what was depicted in the original. I picked up on a lot more of the subtle character moments in this viewing and was definitely more emotionally "moved" by a lot of what when on. The way Odin was cradling Frigga's body in his arms quietly, for example. And again, what a damn bold way to end the movie!The movie definitely has flaws, particularly in the development of the "villains" (both Malekith and Algrim/Curse were paper thin). But when all is said and done, the maneuverings and secret coup of Loki kinda make up for that. Still, the movie would have been stronger with better developed primary antagonists. I think a bit more breathing room in general for character moments and a slight restructuring of some of the story elements (again, mostly dealing with the Dark Elfs, Bor, and the hard decisions made by Kings) would have made the difference for me between being all around "better than the first" and "almost, but not quite as good as the first". The Original Thor still remains one of my overall favorites. This installment without question exceeds and improves upon much of what of what was delivered in the first film, but yet it still doesn't quite match it's greatness because of the weakness in development of some of the characters (primarily the villains) and story beats. But all in all, it is a damn cool entertaining film. And it definitely leaves me wanting more. Always leave them wanting more.
image.jpg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Thor: The Dark World has officially passed 600 million at the world wide box office. I think this is the first "B-list" superhero movie to do that which didn't feature Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, or Ironman. Well done, Odinson!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Finally saw this and thought it was good; although, I found it odd that the pacing seemed kind of slow for a movie with so much action in it. Also, I really don't like when they pull something out of left field without really explaining how it could have been done. I know Loki is a trickster, but I doubt even he could have pulled off what occurred with him in this film. I also thought there wasn't really much chemistry between Thor and his alleged love interest. Hopkin's performance as Odin started out weak and then got much better in the middle of the film. The speech he gave at the beginning just felt like he was phoning it in. He even looked kind of bored.

Other than those points, it was a decent enough way to kill a couple of hours.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I also don't buy into Thor being in love with Jane Foster. There is nothing shown on screen to make me believe it. I buy that he has great respect for her and Dr. Selvig as good decent and very smart people who helped him out when he needed it and are considered good friends but that's about it.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
This was, oddly, a pretty funny movie.

Darcy!
Jane!
Ian!
Selvig!
Mew-mew!
[Mjölnir passes by]

As for the rest... meh.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Jonathan Perregaux said:
This was, oddly, a pretty funny movie.

Darcy!
Jane!
Ian!
Selvig!
Mew-mew!
[Mjölnir passes by]

As for the rest... meh.
As Honest Trailers put it, "The girl!...The comedy-relef sidekick!...The previously smart science guy who's now also a nutty comedy-relief sidekick!...And now the girl comedy-relief sidekick has her OWN comedy-relief sidekick!" :lol:
(The whole "Mew-mew" joke was originally meant to be Strategic Non-Fan Appeal in the first movie: Every time there's an untested comic-book character, the producers have to insert one character who makes jokes about how silly the idea sounds out of context, so they won't antagonize the non-fans. Here, looks like we bought into the first movie nicely, there was no need to "apologize" for the character, which means that Darcy is now out of a job. And let's be honest, in this movie, she acts like it--We don't know what exactly it is she does by hanging around anymore, or why she just doesn't go the heck out and GET one, already.)

The whole thing felt rushed to prove they could do solo-movie sequels and continue individual canon entries by mentioning "New York" every ten minutes.
When we heard "Thor sequel", fans first thought "Finally, Enchantress...And Executioner? Maybe we'll even see Hela?" And after hearing Malekith, we thought "Oh........THAT guy. :huh: "

(But now on Blu-ray this week, to prove once and for all that Disney's "giving up" on 3D movies! ;) )

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The first Thor surprised me with its delightful goofiness and general weirdness. The fish out of water story was an unexpected introduction to a superhero I knew nothing about.The second Thor didn't have the novelty or silliness of the first. It seemed a more generic sturm and drang superhero movie. High production values, good actors. But no emotional core to grab onto. There was no relationship to root for.And like so many of modern action movies, it was too long. It was 90 minute story inflated to two hours.Fortunately, it's not a bad movie. It's inoffensive and not boring. Kat Denning's character is entertaining throughout. But when it was over, I thought, that was two hours I could have spent catching up on my Tivo backlog.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks