What's new

Thomson 52RW65ES RPTV. (1 Viewer)

martin_v

Grip
hi.
I am wondering of someone has the same thomson TV like me.
I want to know what the settings are in the menu fore the best picture.
thanks.
------------------
my [ Homepage

Tomas W

Auditioning
Hi.
I have that tv. At least I think it's the same model. Big grey thing right? Can't really help you with settings because I am at work right now but what you wanna do is get in the service menu and fine tune your settings there. I was not pleased with the picture before I adjusted things here. Get a calibration dvd like Avia or video essentials. The picture can get quite good if you do this in the best possible way. Will try to get some tips for you when I get home.

martin_v

Grip
Hi Thomas.
it's the 52 inch model.
I think that maybe Thomson is only for sale in Europe ??
I have only trouble whit satellite broadcast, the colors are too many, but for DVD is it just good ( I think).
ok i hear from you.
------------------
my [ Homepage

Yue-Keen Fan

Auditioning
Hi,
I'm so happy to see this thread. I started a thread about a week ago in the TV & Projectors forum asking for some advice on the 44" model (44RW65ES). Here's the link :
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/007134.html
At that time, I was gathering info on the Thomson unit but nobody replied. I ordered it anyway. It will be here next Friday. *drooling*
martin, it's also available in asia and australia.
Although I've already ordered it, I still want to hear from you guys. At least I know there are some owners out there. I wanted to know which zoom/stretch mode do you use for various picture formats like anamorphic DVDs, 4:3 DVDs and 4:3 cable programs or do you just use auto-format. Is the set performing to your expectations for the price you paid?
Tomas, I'll be very interested in the service menu tweaks. Do you think the service menu will be the same for the 44" model?
Thanks in advance for any info and hope to hear from you guys.
On a side note, shouldn't this be in the TV & Projectors forum?

Yue-Keen Fan

Auditioning
Hi Tomas,
Any updates from you :) ? My 44RW65ES will be arriving in 2 days time.
Anybody with info can jump right in :)
Thanks in advance!
Yue-Keen

Hi Yue-Keen,
I'm also bought the 44" Thomson from Thong Sheng at Bt Merah. But according to them the shipment is delayed till next month 15/07/01.
frown.gif

Where you bought the TV from? So fortunate can get it so soon. Let me know your opinion on the TV when you get it. :)
Regards,
Jen Yee

Yue-Keen Fan

Auditioning
Well, the TV arrived. It was so huge and heavy that I had to help the delivery men move it up 2 flight of steps and into my apartment.
Anyway, was busy with work and also moving the equipment around to accomodate the TV.
First impression is that the TV is very sensitive to light. I almost have to watch it in complete darkness. Out of the box the brightness and contrast are way too high so I had to turn them down. Anamorphic dvd images seem softer compared to tube TV and a lot of halos where the bright images meet a dark background. My video essentials dvd arrived about 4 days after the TV. After calibrating it with VE, the image improved quite a bit but the halos are still there but not as bad as when it was out of the box. With the overscan test pattern, I realised that the image was skewed to the left and high and it was tilted slightly so I called for a service tech to adjust it since I couldn't access the service menu. The service tech came, centered my image but could do nothing about the tilt and the halos. For the tilt, he explained that it was due to the magentic field difference during shipment from France to Singapore and the halos are due to the protective screen. I don't know if they are true or a lot of BS. He did some convergence in the service menu also. Tried to ask him how to access the service menu but he won't reveal.
Overall, I'm quite happy with the TV but I still find the picture a bit soft as compared to tube TV. I'm viewing the TV from a distance of about 7 feet (2.2m) and the big picture is what you really want when watching a movie at home after upgrading the sound to DD & DTS. Anamorphic dvds are amazing, however, I can't say the same for non-anamorphic dvds, cable and vcd.
Jen Yee, I bought mine from a shop in Bedok. Mine was delayed also. I was supposed to get it on 30th of May but in the end I got it on the 15th of June. Hope to hear from you when you get your set.

Boy... sounds discouraging, seems like the TV screen is so reflective to light, make day watching not desirable. But thanks for your analysis. I will let you know once my TV arrive. :)

martin_v

Grip
Hi guy's.
sorry for the late reply, my computer whas crashed.
I'm a the 52 inch owner and have NO complains about the TV.
I had the same that I must the brightness turn down.
the subtitels whas T
eek.gif
eek.gif
bright.
I hooked up the TV whit a pioneer DV-717 DVD-player whit A RGB cable.
------------------
my [ Homepage

Yue-Keen Fan

Auditioning
Hey martin_v, nice to hear from you. For a while there, I thought you were MIA for good. Sorry about the crash. Hope you recovered all your files.
My settings so far (I only have the 44" set for 2 weeks)are :
brightness 40%
contrast 45%
colour 50%
sharpness 25%
tint 45%
I'm watching DVDs in a very dark room. Even at this setting, I find the subtitles bright and people wearing white shirts bright also. However, after tweaking for many hours, I still find this combination the best so far. How's your settings?
I don't know if you are interested in the service manual or not but I found out this website from your home country that sells tons of service manuals. However, they need the chasis number of my TV (I wonder why) and I'm at work, so I'll reply them when I get home. The website is :
Link Removed
You may want to check it out.
Currently, I'm hooking up the TV via S-video from my pioneer DV-535K DVD player. I'm wondering how do you hook up using RGB. Are you using the component video out from your DVD player going into the scart connector into your TV? Will RGB connection give better picture than S-video?
Yue-Keen

martin_v

Grip
Hi Yue-Keen.
What can you do whit the service manuals ?? I have 3 years of full guarantee
wink.gif

for the settings I shall give you that later in the evening.
my pioneer 717k is connect whit a 21-pins scart-scart connection.
do you have your TV connected whit a interlink [for sound] to your AMP ?? I notice that the sound are very low, i had my amp on high volume for a little sound. do you have the same trouble???
oke i let you know the settings.
greetz martin.
------------------
my [ Homepage

martin_v

Grip
hi.
here are mine settings:
brightness 55%
contrast 55%
colour 45%
sharpness 45%
motion mastering /ON
noise reduction /ON
Your settings are too dark in our room.
a guy come this month to my house too tweak my TV and HIFI,maby he change the set-up a little.
I let you know!!!
for the rest NO complains about the TV.
before the thomson I had the SONY KL-37W2 LCD 16:9 TV (94 cm) But the Thomson are better (CRT) black are realy black.
ok. C YA!!
------------------
my [ Homepage

martin_v

Grip
hi Tam Jen Yee.
Yes I like it too, I had this topic placed on several Forums but no response, maybe not many people have this TV ??
When you have your TV please give your meaning about this RPTV.
oke happy waiting
wink.gif

------------------
my [ Homepage

Yue-Keen Fan

Auditioning
hi martin,
a guy come this month to my house too tweak my TV and HIFI,maby he change the set-up a little.

Please let us know what he does and the final settings if you don't mind. Observe what he does. He will probably go into the tv's service menu to do some tweaking.
That's it for now...
Yue-Keen

KennethC

Auditioning
Yue-Keen,
For the guy to come and fix your convergence and stuff, is that covered by warranty?
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks