Thompson Vocal Eliminator

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mary M S, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Personal Corporate Emergency for a family member of mine, who has been assigned providing a copy of one song, without the vocals.

The Assignor does not have a clue as to the complexities, of his seemingly
    “Can’t you get a simple task done” request.

She has run out of time.

Does anyone have access to a Thompson Vocal Eliminator????!!!!

2. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Second Unit

There is a Winamp plugin that will do the job. I have used that and mixed the results back in with a track that I had used an equalizer on to remove all the vocals. The results were not stellar, but effective.

Depending on how the particular song's vocal tracks are mixed, you may or may not have satisfactory results.

The other option would be to try to find a karaoke track of the song.

3. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Thanks Buzz for the reply!
    Song can’t be found via the Karaoke route.

I’ve never messed with this, but I know filtering out the Voice Frequencies did not do it.
    There was some large program that had been tried,.... Didn’t cut it.
    I think it was close to what you suggested, but I will pass along what you've mentioned to doublecheck that.

Someone is working (as I type) attempting to loop the instrumental melodies portions,
    still firming it up,
    but so far this is not providing a decent usable track and is proving to be a very subpar result.

Because she has contacts who have who have outsourced resources , a small Radio Station and a Corporate Media Dept at another firm attempted to do it as a courtesy favor, - but could not get it done with what they had on-site.
    One of these suggested the Thompson program ‘might’ work if one could be found.

Edit: Person working on it now, can only find two tracks (no middle) vocal is embedded into both?

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

There is no "middle" in a stereo track, just left and right channels. Anything heard in the middle is in both channels equally.

5. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Two ideas on this subject.

1)Hire a local group to make an instrumental version of the tune.
    2)Claim that futzing with the original track is illegal and would expose all involved to legal problems.

6. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Jeff: "no "middle" in a stereo track" doh, [slaps head] (I know that [​IMG] but was not paying attention to my typing. (She doesnt' ever mess with music and was prob repeating what someone else had commented to her; a multitrack could have been easier?) I should have caught it. But then I've never messed with music either as regards recordings. When she said 'tracks' in the song for all I know a stereo master has multiple 'tracks' of [something?] enlayed to achieve the two whole.

Henry: One: no time
    and Two: Great idea since the guy hasn't a clue on music, and that what he is asking, could possibly not be doable. But!! I certainly hope not for real!!! I would have never asked if I dreamed such was true. Thompson's is sold legally, professionals recomended trying it (whom I assumed knew the in & outs of these things) and this is a one-time 5 min private affair use, not for public consumption. [​IMG]

But if it can’t be done, I’ll pass that along to her, maybe it will help while explaining her failure.

Thanks guys.

7. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Give me access to the song. I'd love to take a stab at it. I have a few programs that could do the trick.

- Colton

8. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    what song is it? truly, alt.binaries.multimedia.karaoke (or something like that, I have it bookmarked at home) has thousands of songs on it.

9. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Sorry Colton & Randy,
    Just now saw 'both' your replies.
    Tied up most of the day and just checking one spot in the forum!
    Thank you for the offer Colton! (I had a taker) but it appears it shall be impossible without a Thompson (that program might not even do it!)
    Randy, The song is /was “Seven and a Half Cents” from The Pajama Game.

We have searched extensively on the web and no-where can find a compilation of Broadway tunes, or any version which is instrumental only. I don’t think one exists. I found one instrumental only DVD with Pajama Game & Two other Broadway shows...but this (drat) did not include a cut of 7 ½ cents!!

(what a mess) If I found it now (in case some google sleuth gets onto to something we missed (I’ve personally tried hours - by composer - by everything I think of) I would have to be able to practically get it overnighted and immediately (the deadline is this week.)
    Thanks!

10. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    If you have an audio wave editor like pro tools, or cool edit...or Logic, Digital performer, Adobe Audition, etc...

Just make a copy of the stereo file and place it on a second stereo audio track. Inverse the second wave audio file. Play both audio files together. It should take out the bulk of the vocals by using the same principle those Bose noise canceling headphones use. By playing the inverse wave in addition to the original wave file, you will cancel out the "middle" voice and are basically making a mono audio track. It is also the same thing that Thompson vocal whatever machine is doing.

You will still hear vocals though. Depending on how much reverb was used on them and how much they are panned in the stereo mix.

Also...tell your friend that simply removing all the vocals from a stereo file is not simple....in fact it is near impossible. You need access to the individual audio tracks to do this with acceptable results. I have never understood why most people can't comprehend why this is.

[​IMG]

11. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Do Thomspon Vocal Eliminators really work? If so, how? And why is it so difficult to create software that mimics it?

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Agreed. The reason why people can't understand it is because they have no knowledge of how sound works.

13. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

I saw a Real Audio instrumental version of "Seven and a half cents", but couldn't say if it sounded good enough for your purpose. Also, I looked for midi versions, but found none.

- Colton

14. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I remember back in the days of albums (those funny looking giant black cd's for those under 40), if you wanted to remove vocals, you could reverse on side of the cartridge wires, which would "out of phase" the recording, and did a decent job. Very similar to what was mentioned above.

15. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Colton!

....where oh where?

(we can hope he has a tin ear, something is better than - nothingness [​IMG] )

Randy down to a couple of days.
    If we find the media (instrumental) and still have time to overnight, or if not, -buy a vinyl version, and try to apply your method?! But I haven't talked to all involved today, - she may be out of time...
    Whatever is left which could be done may well be too much passing of product here & there, and equipment to access with a clock already ticked down.
    Regardless - thanks for the possible methodology!

My “Shining Armor” step-forward type; who gave it a go, - brilliantly determined ...(if I might add).. after no else whose business is to muck with music in some form and to one degree or another, - what our issue was.

The original media she was provided with (Boss gave her) was labeled stereo when in actuality it was mirrored mono tracks with not enough deviation for anything like Thomson’s or a similar software, to do the job.

This information would have been much help, two weeks back, but others who thought they might get it done handily, did not realize (murphys law) that this small thing would be so difficult, and did not relay that bit of information to us. You can accuse me of assuming, (knowing the Karaoke crowd numbers out there)..this could easily have been done, never having run into this issue to date! Just having been an end user...not a recording engineer.

I was unsuited to help her at this late junction, (but thought with luck [​IMG] knew some guys who might, if they had been given enough time. [​IMG] to sort it out.)
    I have never manipulated music just buy my DVD/CD’s and play them. Early days of MP3’s and such, I wasn’t interested in the compression. I still carry my discs the caveman way to and fro, rather than using mass storage and transfer devices. I really know nothing about this area. (converting media).

Kudo’s to ‘him’ for playing Holmes, to her boss's Moriarty! [she salutes]

16. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

17. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

18. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

OK, I have to ask: What kind of a sadistic douchebag of a boss dishes out such assignments, and with what authority?

Does "bring me an instrumental version of an obscure show tune, or it's your ass!" actually work on people?

19. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Re: I have to ask.

The usual kind. Even CEO's come and go, if you have intended to plant yourself where you are, you must endeavor to 'outlast' them, and wish for someone more professional and less ‘unique’ on the next go round.
    You produce and grit your teeth.

Thank you for the links guys!!!!!!!!!!

I will pass them on, my system needs cleaning, is crippled with many programs disabled. I can’t check them out myself but since I don’t have specifics on exactly ‘what sound’ they need, other than the criteria it has to be - instrumental only, it does not matter if I hear it.
    These will be passed on tonight for viewing tomorrow, and my deep thanks!

Would be a Christmas Miracle kind of feeling if this ever gets DONE. [​IMG]