This year's hidden gem?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Bardon, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Last year, a little game called Beyond Good & Evil got lost under that fall's Juggernauts, and had it not been for great reviews, word of mouth, and a price drop, many people may never have found it. How about this year though? Anything that you can think of that didn't get the attention it deserved?

2. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

Not sure that I have found any yet but here is a list from www.gamespot.com

Best Game No One Played
    Codename: Panzers, Phase One (PC)
    Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors (Xbox)
    Silent Storm (PC)
    TrackMania (PC)
    Wade Hixton's Counter Punch (GBA)

I bought Otogi last year after it got the best game no on played award and was very happy with it. It really is a great game and Otogi 2 is also a great game, I am surprised that no one has played the second one again. After all of the press that the first one got about it being a hidden hit, they reall ypushed the second one......well the game sites did anyways. I dont think I saw much else though.
    As for the others in this list I like many others have never played any of them, I'll have to see who wins and check it out.

3. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Katamari Damancy. It actually got a lot of recognition, but in a year that had sequel fever (a new Doom, Half-Life, Halo, Metal Gear, and GTA), it was easy to miss. I'd also put Sid Meier's Pirates! in there, since it's a critical success and a minor hit.

4. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Katamari Damacy is still a cult following game, but has gotten a fair ammount of press for it.

Feel the Magic is just starting its cult following. That game needs more recognition.

I think the underdog of the year though is Ratchet and Clank:Up Your Arsenal. This game is just about perfect, and it isnt getting a lot of attention. More than other games, but not the level that it deserves.

5. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Same with Metroid Prime 2 I'd say Sean. Incredible game and an improvement on an incredible original game, but thanks to Nintendo's horrendous marketing, utterly lost in the tremendous hype of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (partly) and Halo 2 (massively so). This game deserved better then it got.

6. Sean Moon

Yeah, Metroid Prime 2 deserved better. As did Metal Gear Solid 3. That game just kind of came out, and nothing happened. But I like it better when games kind of fall under the radar. You feel more special for knowing about them when most ignore them. And there is a certain satisfaction when you see what you knew about all along beging to spread like wild when the rest of the world jumps on.

7. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

My vote goes to Second Sight which just won Best Story from IGN's Best of 2004 Awards. I think after the crappy PsiOps everyone figured Second Sight was just a clone... but its another great game from the people that brought us the fantastic Timesplitters series.

Beyond Good & Evil and Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy were definitely last year's hidden gems.

8. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

For me, I'd definitely agree on all accounts of Katamari Damacy, as it wasn't widely revered, but I recognize there's a nice sized cult following as I'm part of said cult! I think personally that Chronicles of Riddick - Escape from Butcher Bay would be a great underdog this year, as it's possibly the best movie-based video game (alongside Spider-man 2) period. I'm not sure how well the game did financially, but I'm certain it'll get lost amidst the big dogs of the FPS genre this year: Painkiller, Half Life 2 and *ugh* Doom 3.

9. Sean Moon

Chronicles of Riddick took lots of people by surprise. Before release everyone was like "Oh great! Another mediocre liscenced game!" Then it came out and everyone was like "Well.....This is.....unexpected" Kind of like when Goldeneye hit for N64. No one expected a good game from it.

10. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Silent Storm for PC. If you are into those turn based tactical squad games, this is the creme de la creme. I think only XCOM exceeds it.

No one bought it, so it's like a $10 game now. Everyone who even wonders about it should buy, it's awesome.

BTW - Metroid 2, MGS 3, and Ratchet and Clank are not underdogs! Underrated, yes. But, multi-million dollar games with massive PR pushes as underdogs? Please...

Katamari Damancy, now that's an underdog!

11. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

It's all relative Joe. Sure, Metroid Prime sold 200k units in November, which is quite a bit. But compared to Halo 2 and GTA:SA, which are both somewhere around 3 million now, for the GameCube's big game of the year to sell 200k in the same time span. Same for MGS3, it did well, but in nowhere near the numbers a game of its pedigree should have done.

12. Sean Moon

A hidden gem is a game not many people know about or scoff at the sight of it, not knowing its true genius. Games like Katamari Damacy and Feel the Magic are games like this.

Underdogs are those games that got attention, but not anywhere near the attention that they truly deserve. MGS3, Ratchet and Clank, and Metroid are games like this. These games are lost in the shadow of Halo and GTA. Prince of Persia is not as much an underdog this year, but still is slightly. The more violent route(which I wish they didnt go) seems to be working on it getting public awareness.

13. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I don't know if I'd call MP2 "hidden", but you're right in that it deserves to sell more than 200000 copies. I figure I'm about 2/3 of the way through it and I'm really enjoying the game (just as much if not more than Halo 2).

I'll add Donkey Konga to the list, since it's another game that may have had a reasonably high profile, but that got ignored because of the premise. I've found that this game has a lot of the "tetris" factor built in (just ONE more game...really, this is the last one...), but is really hard to explain to anyone who hasn't tried it.

Still haven't tried Riddick (but have heard that it's great) and I'll definitely have to give Second Sight a chance. Some more titles to add to the list of games to pick up cheap if I come across them...

14. Christopher_P

Christopher_P Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure I'd call it hidden but The Bard's Tale is a great rpg with comedy and a neat pet summoning system (the game uses the BG: DA engine so think Champions of Norrath with a twist) but I think it may have been buried under Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Doom3, and Half Life2.

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

MGS3 and MP2 aren't what I would call underdogs, but the amount of attention they got in advertising wasn't as much as they needed. If Halo 2 and GTA:SA hadn't run commercials at all, they would have still sold a million + copies. Not the same for MGS3 or MP2 or a few other games.

I think this year's shocking gem is Katamari Damacy. Not the best game of the year, but a huge surprise that nobody saw coming and definitely proof of how fun a videogame can be.

I think the best game of the year (haven't played HL2, MP2, GTA:SA, or R&C3:UYA) would be MGS3. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't sold extremely well, but it could be the MGS2 Raiden backlash.

16. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I'd consider Metal Arms Glitch in the System to be a hidden gem. What a great platformer this is. Best Buy had it for $10 this week.

17. Sean Moon

Metal Arms came out last year. Still a solid game though.

Another "underdog" this year could be Viewtiful Joe 2. The game hasnt sold much at all, but its a damn fine product.

18. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I guess I was wrong, I thought it came out 2004.

19. Sean Moon

There were a lot of underappreciated games last year. Games with lots of critical acclaim and small cult followings, but didnt catch on in sales and mainstream awareness. It seems this year that number is even greater.

So what about handheld games that didnt get that much attention this year? Outside of Feel the Magic, I think Mario Golf Advance Tour deserves more attention.

20. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

Alien Hominid gets my vote.

Feel The Magic: XY/XX, I believe is more popular than it's getting credit for. For those who don't own it, I think it is the first must-have title for the Nintendo DS because it utilizes all of the DS' "unique" features and truly shows-off what types of new gameplay the DS can offer. It basically delivers on everything that Nintendo has promised with the DS, except for on-line. [​IMG]