This topic is overdone, but humor me please..........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinW, Aug 23, 2001.

1. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

Everyday, people just like me looking for a new set want to hear the valued opinions of the people here at HTF. And now, with so many great models and brands to choose from, the decision to buy gets harder everyday. It's easy to spend hours searching threads for reviews of the newest models, just to end up more confused than when you started. And, with the extreme popularity of this site, searching is darn near impossible because of server loads.
    So, with 2 major categories to choose from (RP or Tube), I propose to start a thread concentrating on people's thoughts of the highly popular, flat-screen, HD ready, 32" & 36" sets . I think you would agree that most people here are looking for a set that produces the best possible picture from a DVD. Then, picture quality of satellite and cable come second.
    My hope is to have one place for everyone to look for this type of information. Mods, I'm not sure how you will feel about this thread, so do what you have to do. You won't hurt my feelings at all. So come one guys and the few gals, let's hear what you have to say, good or bad, about these types of sets!

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Kevin:
    If everyone wants to post their opinions on what they think are the best flat CRT and RPTVs out there that is fine. I think that you should also have people list FPTVs too as a lot of people think that the BEST picture in a HT environment is gotten by using a good FPTV.
    I am of the opinion that FPTV is the only way to go in a HT. That is my personal preference. Now what model is still up in the air.
    The one's that I know that people love are the Sony 10HT, the NEC LT 150 and the Sanyo PLV 60 LCD and DLP types. I am not that up on the CRT types to give you any model numbers.
    Parker

3. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'm having visions (probably bad ones) of 4 threads.
    1. TV's under 40"
    2. TV's 40" & up
    3. HDTV's under 40"
    4. HDTV's 40" & up
    I think that 40 is sort of the cutoff point for RP's, but still. I can easily agree with FPTV vs. RPTV, but the HD's are really gaining in popularity too. Maybe waiting until after the year ends to find out how well HD's have sold. Really don't know.
    GBlenn

5. DougP

DougP Agent

I'll put in my two cents. I purchased a Panasonic CT36HX41 (Tau HDTV ready flatscreen) on 8/5, it was delivered on 8/13 and I cannot get a decent picture (too much red, too dark). I made the purchase based on reviews of different TVs on HTF and elsewhere but what I'm finding is that this class of TV aparently has problems like this (so to return it and get say a Sony 36XBR450 would be fruitless).
    I await my service guy. I have my service manual. Avia is on it's way.
    But do I really want to mess with this thing? I'm a tinkerer but my girlfriend wants me to quit playing and return it if it's "broken". With a 30-day return policy there's a lot to get done in the nick of time - I suspect I may have to return it.

6. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

Ok, Ok, as we all know, all ideas can't be good ones. [​IMG]