What's new

This thread is for the birds! (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks, Mike. Luckily, we missed all the snow in Michigan while we were in the Florida Keys and Everglades enjoying 80+ degree temperatures. I owed my neighbor big-time for keeping my driveway and sidewalk clean from all the snow. I was disappointed by the little amount of wildlife we saw in the Everglades, though. Talking with some folks, it appears the wildlife viewing has been getting worse the past few years. This was our first visit to the park, so I cannot speak from experience on the issue.

I used DxO PhotoLab instead of Adobe Lightroom to process all the photos from this trip. The ClearView feature of PL really helped make the colors pop with one click of a button instead of a lot of manual work in LR, and also helped immensely with getting the most out of my landscape shots. The software is a little more cumbersome than LR for sorting and purging photos, but I really like the editing and RAW processing aspects of the application. Adobe can shove their new forced subscription model for Lightroom as far as I'm concerned.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Shot this one way back in 2009 with my 5D Mark II and the older style Canon 100-400.

i-dNnx5dM.jpg

The person I sold that lens to got a winner! The older style 100-400s were a mixed bag.

Mark

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Niiice!

Still haven't had a chance to give my new Tamron 150-600 G2 a good workout yet. Came across some pileated woodpeckers in Muir Woods (out near San Francisco), but didn't actually bring that lens w/ me, so nothing to show -- wasn't expecting to need it and didn't want to lug it on my first cross-country roundtrip flight in ages... :P

Maybe when I head down to Orlando in a couple weeks? IF not, then when I head up to Mohonk for Mother's Day weekend...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A few shots from our spring visit to Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina. We spent 2+ weeks at our condo this time, and missed all the bad April weather in Michigan.

Mirror, mirror on the wall...
NC7A3857-X2.jpg

A gator eyeing some cormorants:
NC7A3865-X2.jpg

A cormorant having a bad hair day
NC7A3873-X2.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I went to see the seals beached on Sandy Hook a few weeks ago. They were too far out to get good pics (and the heat coming off the water was creating huuuuge distortion) but the birding went well!

Merganser emerges from water, brant in background:

18-SandyHook-D500-7795
by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Merganser drip:

18-SandyHook-D500-7803

Nesting ospreys with human trash in nest:

18-SandyHook-D500-7987

Brants and a seagull with clams:

18-SandyHook-D500-7871

Seagulls dropping clams from 30' in the air to crack them open on rocks:

18-SandyHook-D500-7856

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Kookaburra - November 09, 2015 Taronga Zoo, Sydney. The distinctive sound of the laughing kookaburra's call, which sounds like echoing human laughter, is widely used in filmmaking and television productions, as well as certain Disney theme park attractions, regardless of African, Asian and South American jungle settings. (Wikipedia)
431.JPG
433.JPG
435.JPG

Yes, this guy was noisy while we walked by.

May 13, 2019 Melbourne Healesville Sanctuary, ...

IMG_3326.JPG
IMG_3327.JPG
IMG_3343.JPG
IMG_4595.JPG
463.JPG

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A few shots from Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina. We got lucky and saw some birds we do not see very often. Hopefully these look okay -- I processed the RAW files on my laptop, and not my normal desktop back in Michigan.

Roseate Spoonbill

MK6A0717-X4.jpg

White Ibis

MK6A0692-X4.jpg

Little Blue Heron

MK6A0657-X4.jpg

Not sure what this one is

MK6A0663-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I came across this owl at the 18th tee on the golf course yesterday morning. It's not a great photo, as I took it with my cell phone -- while real photographers may carry a camera everywhere, real golfers do not. :laugh: It's an owl, though, which is something I almost never see, and have no photos of until now.

20211111_105709-X4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks