What's new

This summer's big bomb will be? (1 Viewer)

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Every Summer we will see a movie that does not live up to the hype. Last summer it was "Pearl Harbor" and the summer before that it was that John Travolta movie. Can't remember the name.

So far Summer of 2002 has been very strong. Spider-man is breaking records and Star Wars will follow. Even some of the minor pictures like About A Boy are doing very well.

Usually just by looking at the trailers you can pick out the trash. This summer is different. Everything looks very good. Something is going to not make it. Anyone care to guess?

I am going out on a limb here. I think this summer bomb will be M.I.B. 2. The latest trailer makes it look kind of stupid and I feel Will Smith is past his prime. I could be totally wrong though. People really love the latest trailer. Will Smith has had great luck over 4th of July weekend. Everything except Wild Wild West.

A very good movie that will probably not make much money will be The Sum Of All Fears. It is a touchy subject right now. It does not help that Paramount shows a city getting blown up in the latest previews. This one will be interesting.

Chris

Chris Lock

Second Unit
> This summer is different. Everything looks very good.
I take it you haven't seen the trailer for Scooby Doo. :thumbsdown:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yes. Scooby Doo all the way.

BTW...I think Battlefield Earth is the movie you are thinking off Chris.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I think Scooby Doo will do alright. The kids will want to see it, and in most of the theaters I've seen the trailers in, people have been laughing quite a bit.

And it depends on what you call a bomb. Pearl Harbor was a disappointment to be sure, but according to IMDB, it did almost make $200m in the US, which I wouldn't really call a bomb.

I think it'll be Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron.

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
Pearl Harbor was not a bomb. Not with $200 million under it's belt. I can think of quite a few movie that were far worse.

My vote is going to Scooby Doo. Anything with Freddie Prinze Jr. just plain sucks.

John

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I think Spirit will actually do very well. I think the Sum of All Fears will be the bomb (at least I hope it bombs).

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
I agree with Matt. I think the Sum of All Fears will be this years Battlefield Earth. Scooby Doo seems like the worst movie this summer but will probably score big with kids. I know that I have to take my 5 yr old to see it. :frowning:
I hardly see any mention of K-19:The Widowmaker on the forum. Could this be the one?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I know a lot of folks excited about TSOAF...I expect it to do fairly well. Clancy is popular, and Morgan Freeman...enough said.
Scooby will not set any cineplexes on fire ;)
Take care,
Chuck

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
"Did we give up when Pearl Harbor was bombed?"
"I thought that movie made money."
- The New Guy
Pearl Harbor was not a bomb. It cost around $210 million (this includes advertising AND the film's budget) and made somewhere around that in the US. Also, it also was a hit in other countries (like Japan).
IMO, I think it will be Scooby Doo. Kids might go to see it, but everybody else will avoid it.

Steve Kramzer

Stunt Coordinator
Mr.Deeds will bomb...sandler has really gone downhill, Little Nicky was unwathable..

Undercover Brother just looks bad

Halloween:Resurrection will most likely bomb as well bc I can't imagine anything new coming out of the series.

Finally, I had high hopes for Disney's new flick, Lilo and Stitch, but the first trailer I saw kinda put me off, though it will still probalby do well with kids.

Blu

Screenwriter
Scooby Doo is a kids movie, it will do pretty well. As far as a movie that has tons of money invested in it that will collapse with big name stars, I don't think there will be that kind of movie this year. At least not this summer anyway I'm not sure what is coming out this fall and winter though.

Derek Faber

Stunt Coordinator
Sum of all Fears. I don't think it has any chance against Spier-man and Star Wars.

Sum is a light-wieght going into a three way fight against two heavy-wieghts.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Borne Identity might get covered up by the rest of the summer flicks.

I've never seen MIB 1, so I'm not really interested in seeing MIB 2 either.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Spiderman...I mean, didn't you see the TV show? And isn't the director like a music video director or something? Hmm? Oh? No kidding! :)
Unless the hype machine starts up for it, I think Windtalkers is going to end up in the dust. The Bourne Identity is getting a ton of more press, Scooby will be grabbing the kids, Bad Company will still be grabbing some action fans, and Minority Report and MIB2 will be right around the corner.
If they do the right thing and pump this movie up, then it could take the wind out of them, but I just don't see it.
Of course, I'll be there.

Oscar

Second Unit
None of the movie looks like a bomb.

But Spirit just dosen´t grab my interest.

And i am pretty sure many people will go to see Sum of All Fears.

Everything releated to Tom Clancy wins, also it´s looks like a pretty good movie.

And it has:Ben Affleck, Morgan Freeeman, etc.

To make it a winner, i don´t think and i don´t hope it bombs.

And as for Scooby-Doo, geez. I will take Starship Troopers over it any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Men In Black 2 are not going to bomb, first many people love the first one.

But no film as far as i know NO film it´s having any expectations of any kind.

Mostly because of what happened to A.I. last summer.

And unfourtanely i think Minority Report might be a bomb.

Spielberg made himself a bad reputation by A.I. (Don´t get me wrong i love that film) but i doubt that anybody will want to see anything from Spielberg again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks