What's new

This stinks , Im very mad (SuperBit) (1 Viewer)

Post deleted by Administrator. Member Account Deleted
------------------
[Edited last by Chris Maynard on October 06, 2001 at 01:23 PM]

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
Scott Simonian: Although I am 45 years old and father of two teenagers - I sympathize.
When I was a teenager - I also loved "home entertainment", although it was lp records way back then. I really couldn't depend on my folks to support this habit, but I still have over 800 vinyl records that I managed to buy at that time.
I understand (but do not agree with) your folks not wanting you to carry a job on top of school. With my kids - I went in the exact opposite direction.
Regardless of success in school, no-one knows what the future holds. I feel that an important part of education is instilling a "work ethic" in an individual - the harder you work, the greater the rewards. I have many friends that have what may be considered "menial jobs", but they have made comfortable lives for themselves. They have raised families, maintained beautiful homes, and bettered their communities. They work hard.
Try to convince your parents that a part time job will be an education (I am convinced it is). Aside from the benefits of cash in your pocket, it will offer some real insight to the working world. I am a Quality Control Manager for a company that manufactures aircraft components. I supervise over 30 people. I am convinced that the MAJORITY of of my managerial skills came from my youth. I worked for managers that were hard on me, but incompetent. I worked for people that knew how to build a team, and I worked harder for them.
I feel that a job will not detract from your education, but enhance it.
[/soapbox}
------------------

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Post deleted by Administrator. Member Account Deleted
[Edited last by Chris Maynard on October 06, 2001 at 01:23 PM]
Alright what happened? I noticed that this was posted right under mine. Somebody please email me what happened since I missed it.
thnx
------------------
We are the citizens of the United States of America. Resistance is futile. We CANNOT be stopped so don't bother trying.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
I refuse to rebuy titles anymore. It's just not cost-effective with so many new releases coming out. What are we expected to do, buy 50% of our collection all over again for new releases? Back when I only had 50 titles I'd be okay with it, now with 309 titles (and rising fast), I'm not willing to re-buy a movie that I already own unless there is something wrong with the original.
As far as my thoughts on Superbit. I'm really shocked at all the review sites saying that the improved video is due to a higher bit rate. This statement is only true if they are using the EXACT same source as the original DVD, just encoded higher. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the Superbit titles are also new transfers. The rise in quality could be due to the different transfer used, not the extra bits.

GregK

Screenwriter
Scott,
Everyone has to make up their mind on what justifies a
repurchase. I've owned Beta and VHS hi-fi in the 1980's,
then laserdiscs in the mid-80's, and DVDs in the 90's. Each
format has had re-releases and re-masters. One thing has
been consistent: There's ALWAYS going to be a newer
version!!!
biggrin.gif
There's no sure-fire rule for me, but I try
to figure how much bang for my buck I'll get out of a
newer version, is it a movie I REALLY like, and how much
ca$h I happen to have in my wallet at that given time.
Some of my older LDs are still just fine with me. Ditto
for a few VHS titles as well.
Oct/Nov will be tough months for me as well. A LOT of good
DVDs are being released along with four 3-D DVDs...
and sadly I'm a 3-D NUT,
eek.gif
..so out comes the wallet.
With my daughter’s birthday and Christmas looming
around the corner, I really can't afford all of my 'must
have' upcoming DVDs, so I'm selling off a few personal
items to keep my wishlist DVD selection intact.
To quote from the film Hoffa: “..Life’s a negotiation.”
wink.gif

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Awww... being the nosy kid i am, i wanna know what he said!!!
tongue.gif

Well, think of it this way.. work your way hard thru school, get a real good job, then you'll have as many damned DVDs as you want!
biggrin.gif
Thats how im looking at it... But then i got an interivew tomorrow, it may darastically change.. with my eye on a new Toshiba 53HX71
tongue.gif

------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
>My dad wont let me get a job cause he thinks it will get in the way of my school work<
My dad was meaner than your dad - he used to make me finish my broccolli.
Marty

Martice

Screenwriter
Believe it or not, there are HT hobbyists that put a high priority on sound quality regardless how minimal the difference. I remember explaining to a friend to try and clump all of the A/V community into one heap is impossible. We have some that must have the newest and latest feature on a piece of hardware which means that they are constantly buying and selling, we have some that must have the latest edition of a certain movie because of features as well as some of us who could give a darn about 5.1 and is strictly into it for the movie itself. What's obvious is that we all love the movie experience, it seems to be what aspect of this experience "gets us off" that drives us and compells us to invest and sometimes reinvest in this hobby of ours.
------------------
What if it gets no better than this!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks