This still urks me years later on how my town handled a moose that was in my yard.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by StephenA, Jul 18, 2003.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Years ago there was a wild moose that ended up in my yard. The police and fire department came here to get it so they could have it transported to a safer place. They chased it through my back yard, into the swamp in my back yard, and into Route 28 a very busy road. Unfortunately while they did this the moose was hit and killed. It made me very mad tha they handled this so irresponsibly and that the moose had to die needlessly. They should have called oine of the zoos near Boston, Fish and Game, or another local group that works with animals to handle it, which I don't remember them doing.

On a funny note with the incident though, the doberman I had at the time wanted to get at the moose and fight it.

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Ouch...what about the people in the vehicle that hit the moose? It's not unknown to have an entire family, kids and all, die when their vehicle hits a moose. They can get large enough to completely destroy large trucks AND kill the driver!

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    A zoo near Boston? The response time would have been 4 hours or so.

4. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I only live about a half hour from from Boston. I don't think the driver died in the hit, but I know their car was destroyed.

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Yeah, chasing it toward a busy highway probably wasn't the best strategy. Did the people who hit it sue the Town?

They should have had Fish & Game tranquilize and transport it to a rural area.

6. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I don't remember what happened with the accident part. It happened like 14 years ago. I know the residents of my town were very pissed about how the whole incident was handled.

7. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

Here the police call Alberta fish & wildlife who usually call my Dad to go and tranqualize the animal. Then Fish & Wildlife will take it to a rural area.

8. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Since it started in your property did you get the option to get the head mounted? [​IMG]

Would make an interesting trophy

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

It is amazing that stuff like this still happens. Did you see the one with the alligator that they dragged down the street and then shot? In 2003, it still happens.

Glenn

10. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    That's an unfortunate incident but I see how it could happen. You call the 911 dispatcher and they call police/fire. I'd be willing to bet that was the first time that any of the people involved had to deal with a wild moose so they just did their best. Even if the Humane Society could have had a tranquilizer gun on the scene within 30 mins what were the cops supposed to do in the mean time?

11. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I would have to say that was real stupid glad to know that no one got hurt or killed. I wonder if the chasers could have been at fault if someone did?