This might seem immature, but rank the Kevin Smith movies in order of.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Randolph, Aug 5, 2002.

1. John Randolph

John Randolph Stunt Coordinator

...their "appropriateness". This is really stupid, I know, but here's the thing: I'm 14-and-a-half years old, and for some reason my parents still care what I watch. They've let me see Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, but they said I couldn't see Chasing Amy or Clerks (they haven't seen Mallrats, and don't want to either). So if you feel like it, please rank them in order of "offensive content" so I can see how the movies my parents won't let me see compare to the ones that I can see.

Thanks,
    John.

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Well, it might seem unfair to you that your parents are controlling which movies you watch, but at least they're concerned - too many parents these days aren't. However, since you're already seen Dogma and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, I can't understand why they wouldn't let you watch Smith's other movies. They're all about equal in terms of "vulgar" content. I even think letting you watch Chasing Amy would be a good idea as it at least offers some insight on how to handle relationships.

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Steve is right. You've seen Dogma and Jay & Silent Bob SB so you have pretty much seen all that they have to offer as far as vulgarity and questionable subject matter go. Clerks and Chasing Amy would be no more offensive than the other 2.

I may be of the minority here, but I would not be so quick to discount Mallrats. If you like hi jinx and shenanigans, then you may like this movie. It is by far the least "offensive" of the Jersey trilogy and in my opinion, a good time.

4. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I can see how Clerks which goes into deeper detail on the vulgarity IE: snowballing and such would be questionable. Along that same line Chasing Amy delves into what some (not me) would consider a taboo topic for a 14 year old.

Mall Rats, Dogma and JASBSB really only scratch the surface of these subjects, more just for a superficial laugh. You don't get as much explanation for the jokes. The other two explain the jokes in some pretty graphic detail at times. Clerks moreso than Chasing Amy.

I don't agree with your folks but I can see why they draw the line. I will have to fight this battle in a few years with my son and I am not sure what my decision will be then.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

6. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor