This may sound backwards but.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly Scott Rickards, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

Can you buy turnkey DIY speakers and subs???
    I mean, I know part of the appeal of DIY units are that you do is yourself, but the other part of the equation is saving money....
    So, I was wondering if there is a middle ground anywhere....
    Say, a group who sell DIY kits ready to rock & roll, yet can still provide a better bang for your buck (better sound quality, less $$$$) than the PSBs, B&Ws and even the SVS and Diva/rockets out there [​IMG]
    Thank you

2. Yes, there are several. Anywhere from completely built and assembled to you just solder up and screw in the drivers.

What type of "kit" are you looking at?

any specific goals for these speakers?

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Do a google search on "speaker kits" there are quite a few...

4. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

Goals?
    I would say I am looking for Onyx Rocket/Paradigm Studio performance at Fluance prices [​IMG]
    That might not be possible, but one can always hope...
    Anyways, I am looking for something completely turnkey....I don't want to assemble anything and I am curious if this middle ground (perfessional assemble of DIY kits) exsists....
    Thank you

5. While the following does not explicitly ship out built kits, I am sure that they would for a nominal fee...and they would kick the crap out of those other speakers you mentioned (IMO)
    1801 at http://home.attbi.com/~ellisaudio/speakers.htm
    either the Paradox or AV series at www.gr-research.com
    (brian BUNGE([​IMG]) and others build cabinets and should be able to arrange a built set)
    http://www.selahaudio.com/
    Rick has all sorts of designs (many are not listed on his site anymore...as he creates new ones fairly often)
    http://www.acoustic-visions.com/
    the 281s are great for HT and pretty good for music (from what I have read). The HE10.1 is the music analog.
    http://www.diycable.com/catalog/prod...eaker_kits.htm
    more Adire kits built so you don't have to. (but not that cheap IMO)
    ..this is just a start. There are many others out there too!

6. Danny Richie

Danny Richie Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Anthony,

Just one follow up to what Anthony said though...

We actually do offer our kits fully assembled, measured, tested, and ready to play. Prices for fully assembled models are listed on our web page.

7. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

Kelly,
    I would go for the GR Kits. I have heard Danny's creations & seen Brian's work first hand so I know you won't be disappointed.

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

9. Brian...oops! yes, YOU, NOT brian owens...about to edit [​IMG]
    ...and I am NOT on crack. I am naturally disturbed[​IMG]

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Tony,
    Then you need to make a trip to my old home town, which at once was also the home of the world's largest insane asylum! The hospital is still there, but lost that status years ago! [​IMG]

11. Chris Carswell

Yes Brian I was talking about you. Us FL boys got it together, gotta watch them Cali guys.... [​IMG]

12. Chris, don't make me sick Freud and his minions on you! ...well...I no longer have the ID, but the EGO's and the SUPER EGO's are chomping at the bit[​IMG]

13. Chris Carswell

[​IMG]

14. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Kelly, my "buds" have forgotten me, but I'm a source for cabinets for GR Research's tower kits (Brian B does the monitor cabinets). If you are on a strict low budget, the best value, bar none IMHO, is SCH kits, monitors, towers and center channels: http://www.speakerpage.com
    I've built several cabinets for their kits. An option is for us to build the cabinets, assemble and install the crossovers, then you could veneer, laminate or paint the enclosures and install the drivers yourself. That way, you still come out WAY ahead in the bang-for-the-buck area, yet have the self-pride of doing the finish work yourself.

15. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Yes, there are several options from several companies out there that can finish the speakers up to the point you feel comfortable about taking over and completely finishing them. Some people don't have the tools to do the actual cutting of the wood but feel that they can assemble and finish them while others out there dont feel comfortable about assembling them and want them preassembled.
    Anthony listed several places that can do this for you, and yes, you will still come out ahead in the bang/buck ratio.

16. Hank, in all honesty, I didn't forget you...I just forgot what you built enclosure wise ( know you did subs for sure, but that wasn't what he was looking for). I am sure a lot of people here can build one time custom jobbies, but I tried to list the ones that have a "production line (?)" going on on a DIY "breed"...that sounds weird. I'll get you on the mental list for SCH cabinet building [​IMG]

17. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Tony: "production line"??? Okay, mental note I do the GR Research towers and all the SCH cabinets. And subs of course. AND, my BoseBusters [​IMG]

18. Production line=a very strong likelyhood that there are empty boxes ready to be finished according to the customers needs.
    ....and I don't know how much more info I can stuff into my head!!!!!! maybe it is just the word bose that causes the apparent swelling. Perhaps you should call them BloseBusters [​IMG]
    ..well there you have it Kelly. All sorts of options[​IMG]

19. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Hank,
    Do you have a website with more details about your work?
    Everyone,
    What is involved in assembling a "flats kit"? What kind of tools would I need? I know absolutely zero about woodworking, never did anything remotely similar even in high school [​IMG]
    Then the next step is painting (I'm assuming veneering is out of my league). I don't have a garage to work in, and my previous experiences with spray painting out on a windy porch have been less than spectacular (both for what I was trying to paint, and the tomato plants near by). Is there a better/easier way to paint speaker cabinets? [​IMG] A brush maybe, or more likely, a roller?
    Are there primers or instructions for this kind of stuff online?
    Thanks,
    Saurav

20. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Tony,
    I'm building modified versions of the SCH kits and selling them as finished products on my website. I've re-engineered all the enclosures and port lengths for lower bass extension. I was really shocked at how much bass extension the monitors had in the room at the DIY Atlanta event. I figure it was roughly a 15x25 enclosed room. There were several people that were very impressed with their sound.
    Saurav,
    All you really need to assemble a flats kit is some wood glue, a few clamps, and some patience. I built a pair of monitors before with nothing more than a couple of 12" Quick Grip clamps. Took forever, but it worked great. Finishing is a different story!
    P.S. I've seen Hank's work first hand and it's at least on par with ours. Hell, it might even be better! [​IMG]