What's new

This may be a dumb question recievers, but here I go anyway (1 Viewer)

Gary Joe

Stunt Coordinator
I've been researching the DIY forum for some speakers to build. It seems one of the most importan criteria for good speaks is a "flat response" from x to y hz. My question is how does one know if the reciever or amp is sending the speakers a flat sinal that isn't 10db high at 40 hz, rolls way off past 8000hz and looks like a roller coaster in between?

I wish you could edit the title so when you screw it up you won't look like an idiot until your post cycles through. Oh well, just call me Duh Collins.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Typically, receivers WILL have some sort of bandwidth spec. Any amp that can't be reasonably flat wouldn't make it to market these days, anyway.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
in the final "equation"....wouldn't the speakers really have the most effect on the frequency response? just take a look at any speaker graph and you'll see just how much variation takes place. it's anything but flat..

Blake R

Stunt Coordinator
Modern solid state amplifiers have response so flat compared to even the best speakers that it may not be worth the angst. If you examine response curves for speakers versus any decent quality amps you'll see why high end speakers cost so much more than amps pound for pound. It is much more difficult to design a maximally flat speaker. Modern amps can yield marginal linearity improvement that is far beyond the human ear's ability to detect. Manufacturing a large electromechanical device like a speaker, that has a linear frequency characteristic over ten octaves ain't easy. MOSFETS and JFETS(transistors) however, can consistently be made by the thousands to extremely high tolerances.

I think I would do my best to design a flat speaker and not worry to much about the amp if it is a quality make.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Gary,

There are ways to measure the frequency response of an amplifier/receiver. You would need some high-brow equipment, e.g. an oscillograph. But as other posters here said: don't worry.

Now about the speakers frequency curve: it's true that it's far from ideal, as compared to the amp's curve, but it's not true that the amp wouldn't matter! As a result of the steering of the amp by a well designed amplifier, the amp can force the speaker to follow its signal more closely than you would imagine. In other words: it's the speaker's curve that may be a little bit less important!
A good power amp is essential.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks