"This Island Earth" oop DVD... review.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Tooze, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

Hello,
    I have finished my DVD/Film review of "This Island Earth" for any who might take interest in this classic 50's Sci-fi movie:
    CLICK HERE TO SEE GRAPHIC REVIEW
    I have always been very high on this film, previously owning the LaserDisc and recently buying the oop DVD from EBay... I only praise the DVD almost solely for the film itlsef... it has no extras... and only 16 Chapter Stops... the technicolor hues can be quite striking at times... but the sound drifts...
    I would put the film in the same grouping as "The Day the Earth Stood Still"... anyone else feel as strongly as I do about this wonderful film ?
    Cheers,

2. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I also have the DVD of this film and I'm hoping that Universal will re-release this as SE, although I doubt the SE part seeing how "It Cam From Outer Space" is being released barebones.

I'm a big MST3K fan, but I cannot & will not watch MST3K the film, as I don't feel this movie deserves to be ridiculed.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I agree: This film was an honest and ambitious effort for its day, utilizing some basic SF conventions nicely and therefore being undeserving of an MST3K treatment--though I wouldn't really rank it up there with The Day the Earth Stood Still.

It also deserves a decent reissue.

4. John Koehler

John Koehler Stunt Coordinator

Gary, that is an exemplary review! Nicely done, detailed, colorful, and a good read! Thanks! The whole page setup is a model of review writing, actually drawing the reader into the picture. Who can resist the pouty-lipped Faith Domergue? The noble Jeff Morrow, the weary Lance Fuller, or hero Rex Reason?

Happy to see this film appreciated, as Jack says, in the manner it was intended: serious science fiction, not camp fluff to be ridiculed.

5. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

I'm another big fan of this film. I actually think the first half is more inventive than more conventional sci-fi like The Day The Earth Stood Still (don't get me wrong, I love that film also).

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

It's one of the great classics up there with Forbidden Planet, War of the Worlds, And Day the Earth Stood Still.

I've got it too.

7. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Although the film does not have the literacy and intelligence of the two great 50s SF films, Forbidden Planet and The Day the Earth Stood Still, it's still a serious science fiction effort, and quite enjoyable. I never did care for the MST3K treatment of it. The film does need a restoration/remastering on DVD.

8. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    I think the laser had much better color but the DVD is 19% sharper...so you have to keep 'em both! [​IMG]

9. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    But the laser had WAY too much contrast, whichg wiped out a lot of detail in lighter areas of the picture. The DVD is more balanced in that respect. But it can still be so much better...

10. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

11. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Mmmmmm! This Island Earth, one of the best SF films of the 50's.

The Planet Metaluna, gloomy, eerie, under constant bombardment by Zagon meteors, and the Metaluna Mutant one of the most memorably ugly aliens in SF history, with its giant exposed brain and pincer like claws.

Ooooh I really love that whole Metaluna sequence, really creepy and Twilight Zoneish.

I had this film on Super 8 at one time, and watched it many times on video, not on the same level as the fantastic Forbidden Planet, but still a must have for SF fans.

The Monitor: Then you know that shortly we can expect Zagon to commence and sustain an all-out attack. Our ionization layer must be maintained until our relocation is effected.

Dr.Meacham: Relocation? To where?

The Monitor: To your Earth.

Exeter: A peaceful relocation. We hope to live in harmony with the citizens of your Earth.

Ruth: In harmony!

The Monitor: Our knowledge and weapons would make us your superiors, naturally.

12. Steve_AA

Steve_AA Agent

13. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I don't know. Yes, usually part of the fun of MST3K is the fact that the movie is really bad. But even if the movie isn't so bad they can still do some funny commentary on parts of it, based on things that are now dated, etc.

I thought MST3K: The Movie was okay. But they could have picked a more worthy target to spoof.

14. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

An excellent and underrated film. I'm glad I have the DVD but it could definitely use a remaster.

15. Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano Second Unit

I love THIS ISLAND EARTH, one of my favorite science fiction movies from childhood- must have watched it on television at least 30 times back then. The superb production values and Technicolor scream for some sort of special edition treatment on DVD. At the very least, THIS ISLAND EARTH needs a new high definition transfer and cleanup via Lowry Digital Images.