What's new

THIS ISLAND EARTH (1955) on Blu-Ray – when? (1 Viewer)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
You recorded that for posterity, of course. I’d listen. :)
No, but I can still give a pretty good impersonation.

The funny thing is, I was about a year or two too young, so I missed THIS ISLAND EARTH when it played in theaters. WAR OF THE PLANETS in super 8 silent was my first exposure to it. And watching the Blu-last week, I was surprised to find my vocal approximation of the flying saucer at the tender age of six--woop! woop! woooooow woooooow bing!, to be specific--was almost exactly the sound effect that was used in the film. So I guess juvenile minds think alike!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
No, but I can still give a pretty good impersonation.

The funny thing is, I was about a year or two too young, so I missed THIS ISLAND EARTH when it played in theaters. WAR OF THE PLANETS in super 8 silent was my first exposure to it. And watching the Blu-last week, I was surprised to find my vocal approximation of the flying saucer at the tender age of six--woop! woop! woooooow woooooow bing!, to be specific--was almost exactly the sound effect that was used in the film. So I guess juvenile minds think alike!
I wish Jonathan Winters had participated in the MST3K sendup of the film.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I wish Jonathan Winters had participated in the MST3K sendup of the film.
My second grade teacher brought in his collection of Jonathan Winters LPS at Xmastime, & I was very inspired by the sketch where a mad scientist creates a seven foot tall artificial basketball player named, if my memory is accurate, Igor. I especially recall the sounds of basketball dribbles interspersed with space-age whoops and bleeps. Hearing that record changed my life.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My second grade teacher brought in his collection of Jonathan Winters LPS at Xmastime, & I was very inspired by the sketch where a mad scientist creates a seven foot tall artificial basketball player named, if my memory is accurate, Igor. I especially recall the sounds of basketball dribbles interspersed with space-age whoops and bleeps. Hearing that record changed my life.
I’ve not heard that bit.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Would this be the Jonathan Winters flying saucer routine referred to? It starts at about 2:55 into the segment...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I made this a blind purchase and was very happy with it. Pretty nifty FX for the era, and the sound was nice, though I seemed to have a hard time getting the sound as loud as Bob had suggested. On my system, I generally run most movies around -35 or so. I pushed this one up to -22 to -20 and still didn't seem very loud. Maybe I need to make other adjustments. The directional Perspecta sound was nice, though at times it seemed a bit random with action/dialogue centered on the screen with sound coming from the left.

But overall another nice blind buy, and it made a super double-feature with The Monolith Monsters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks