1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

THIS ISLAND EARTH (1955) on Blu-Ray - when?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by DonJLong, Jun 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    No, but I can still give a pretty good impersonation.

The funny thing is, I was about a year or two too young, so I missed THIS ISLAND EARTH when it played in theaters. WAR OF THE PLANETS in super 8 silent was my first exposure to it. And watching the Blu-last week, I was surprised to find my vocal approximation of the flying saucer at the tender age of six--woop! woop! woooooow woooooow bing!, to be specific--was almost exactly the sound effect that was used in the film. So I guess juvenile minds think alike!

Johnny Angell likes this.
  2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I wish Jonathan Winters had participated in the MST3K sendup of the film.

lark144 likes this.
  3. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    My second grade teacher brought in his collection of Jonathan Winters LPS at Xmastime, & I was very inspired by the sketch where a mad scientist creates a seven foot tall artificial basketball player named, if my memory is accurate, Igor. I especially recall the sounds of basketball dribbles interspersed with space-age whoops and bleeps. Hearing that record changed my life.

4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I’ve not heard that bit.

5. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    Would this be the Jonathan Winters flying saucer routine referred to? It starts at about 2:55 into the segment...

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I made this a blind purchase and was very happy with it. Pretty nifty FX for the era, and the sound was nice, though I seemed to have a hard time getting the sound as loud as Bob had suggested. On my system, I generally run most movies around -35 or so. I pushed this one up to -22 to -20 and still didn't seem very loud. Maybe I need to make other adjustments. The directional Perspecta sound was nice, though at times it seemed a bit random with action/dialogue centered on the screen with sound coming from the left.

But overall another nice blind buy, and it made a super double-feature with The Monolith Monsters.