1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

THIS ISLAND EARTH (1955) on Blu-Ray - when?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by DonJLong, Jun 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    There are a number of discs that have checkout discounts right now; not sure if that's part of the upcoming Prime Days promotion? The discount appears on the item page, under the list of "editions" (usually to the lower right of the item picture, in green font). It's $4.30 for this title, also for Monolith Monsters, and I've seen other discounts of varying amounts on a number of discs (Shazam! 3D has a $7 checkout discount).

Note that these discounts will only appear when you checkout. They will not appear as discounts on the item page.

Flashgear and Josh Steinberg like this.
  2. Message #122 of 165 Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    I have been lucky enough to have seen & heard almost every major film format over the years, including nitrate, I.B. Technicolor, 3-panel Cinerama, dual-system 3D and even the giant picture expansion of the finale of Portrait of Jennie at Eastman House. Perspecta sound has been the most elusive, as I don't recall ever seeing any opportunity to hear it in any venue over the years. I was surprised how effective it was / is.

Thanks to Bob for approaching Shout! and thanks to Shout! for going the extra mile!

3. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    That sounds pretty cool, Bob. I've never seen any of these cut-downs looking good at all on DVD or Blu-ray, but perhaps you have a way of making them look reasonably sharp. In any case, it's fun to have them. In spite of the work involved and low monetary compensation, you must be having a helluva great time with all your projects, and all the power to you! One hour's worth of these would be about 7 titles. Have you 14, to fill out the disc? :)

phillyrobt and Bob Furmanek like this.
  4. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    It actually does -- thanks. I hear the directional dialog and sound effects. All set, I guess.

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  5. Danoldrati

Danoldrati Stunt Coordinator

Dan Oldrati
    Hi
    I have a phantom center and it works great for me. I can adjust the phantom center higher or lower and stereo sound is great. I did buy a copy of "This Island Earth" it sounds and looks great. I'm old enough to have been around when "This Island Earth" was a new movie and I can't remember too much about the sound or the picture ratio. I do know I saw in Wildwood, NJ at one of the broadwalk movie theaters. All my 3 track stereo 3D movies sound wonderful on this old system and it fits in my bedroom, that is why I still use it.

Thank you Bob for another great release.
    Dan Oldrati

phillyrobt, Bob Furmanek and RobertR like this.
  6. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

Thanks for that Dan, much appreciated!

7. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    Yes indeed, we’re having fun! If we were in it for the money, we’d be sorely disappointed.

War of the Planets was not a very good looking Castle release. I suspect it’s because they were working from a color positive master but even the 16mm print looks rather grainy. The current project will include eight black and White Castle releases from black-and-white features and the original 16mm prints look spectacular!

Jack K, Rodney, Flashgear and 4 others like this.
  8. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Hooray to Bob and all involved in finally bringing this film to the stellar presentation it deserves. I never saw it in the theater (was a baby), never watched the blasphemous MST3K version (too busy with career), and had only seen and loved it on a tube television presentation back in the 60s (bring on the monster).

Seeing it in full HD with good sound was not just a nostalgic time travel trip, but a celebration of all the elements and excitement that originally even justified its creation for a science fiction hungry nation (but apparently not that hungry). The documentary was very well done and illuminated the process for those of us unschooled in its background. Stiff actors with great voices, but the emphasis was on the visual spectacle. We get it. Oh, would I have loved to had a crack at fine-tuning the dialogue to attract top actors of the day. I guess Forbidden Planet took another step in that direction (Walter Pigeon, at least).

But this film is still a milestone and a memory worth restoring to our temple-challenged cranium banks. Thanks again!

9. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I just watched the MST3K version today, after watching the new Blu ray of the standard version a couple of times. I would not bother with the MST3K version. I only had one laugh and two smiles during the entire thing.

Jack K likes this.
  10. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I saw this in a theater. Because the original film is so good, it seemed an odd choice for MST3K, since the latter had always gone with awful movies for its t.v. show. But I admit, it cracked me up. I disliked the interstitials because they absorbed so much of the already too-brief running time and are really not very funny but lines like, "If your hands were made of metal, that would mean something..." had me roaring. I'll still watch it once in a while. Incidentally, the 48-minute documentary on the new Shout! release is an expanded version of the 36-minute extra on the MST3K Blu-ray. And it is pretty decent.

TravisR likes this.
  11. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    Oh, there were one or two lines l liked, like “Your legs are dangling out of the plane”, but not enough to make it worth while.

12. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    I was really impressed with this release. I'd never seen it look "good" as it was usually a bad copy on a UHF station or the MST3K commentary. I really enjoy this film. It and Forbidden Planet are two of my favorite 1950's sci fi films. I love the black lit (I presume) shots on Metaluna HQ. I also enjoy the shots with the "mutant". This is the first time I can recall actually being able to see the Zagon ships, usually it just looked like meteorites with some fuzzy image in front of them. Bravo!

Jack K and Rodney like this.
  13. John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    Wow...how could you watch a parody of the movie and think that you were actually watching the movie???

14. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

Personally, I've always thought MST3K wasn't the least bit funny or clever, and an utter waste of time.

15. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Amen! I've tried watching them a few times but about 10 minutes is all I can take. If I'm going to watch a "bad" movie, I certainly don't need their juvenile smugness chattering away for the entire film.

16. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    What in the world do you mean? I never said that at all!

Tino and Jimbo64 like this.
  17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I've always figured that they needed a better movie to hang a theatrical feature on. Imagine trying to keep a (hopefully) mainstream audience's attention with a Coleman Francis movie or I Accuse My Parents or The Brute Man?

18. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    That’s pretty much the long and short of it. They didn’t want to do THIS ISLAND EARTH, but the studio wanted a “big” film for fodder. The movie flopped big time, anyway—it got dumped in Gramercy Pictures’ lap, who didn’t know what to do with it. I remember it was on cable in mere months, which in those days meant they needed to recoup money.

19. Message #139 of 165 Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    Didn't cable come around in the 80's? I think I should have seen it during the 60's matinees on those Saturdays. Funny, I don't remember TIE, but I do remember FORBIDDEN PLANET. Even then the rumor about FP was Anne Francis had a swim suit on in the kiddee version, but not in the adult version!.

Gawd, to be young again. 1962, going to the theater myself and seeing DR. NO. Ursula Andress coming onto the beach was heaven for this 12 year old....and they let me in the theater!

20. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Gramercy Pictures didn't exist in the 1950s either. I'm pretty sure Jack was talking about Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (1996)

Brent Reid and John Sparks like this.