What's new

THIS ISLAND EARTH (1955) on Blu-Ray – when? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Isn't the German Blu Ray in 1.85:1? I have it but watched it over a year ago. I'm hoping this is a big upgrade over the german blu. Color was not that good there just as in all previous home video versions. I have this coming tomorrow so fingers crossed its worth it as its not cheap.
I don't know as I never bought the German Blu-ray due some PQ concerns expressed by other posters.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
The only thing that really bugs me about this new disc is that there is no bookmarking, and doesn't start where you left off if you have to switch off for any reason. There aren't many blu-ray's (or dvd's for that matter) that behave this way.

I'm assuming that it's an authoring choice (correct me if I am wrong). I just don't understand this choice.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
What is astonishing about the Criterion disc, is the amount of different versions that are on the disc. You get 2 choices of aspect ratios, a commentary version plus two different abridged versions. Are all of these in HD? How do they all fit on one disc?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What is astonishing about the Criterion disc, is the amount of different versions that are on the disc. You get 2 choices of aspect ratios, a commentary version plus two different abridged versions. Are all of these in HD? How do they all fit on one disc?
You mean Shout! Factory?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Space isn't an issue. All four versions amount to about 3 hours and 5 minutes.
Widescreen version: 86 minutes
Full Frame version: 86 minutes
Castle Films Super-8 Sound: 10 minutes
Castle Films silent (headline version): 3 minutes.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've read some comments here and elsewhere that suggest the PQ of this Shout! release is not that much of an improvement over the German imports. Well, I owned those imports and thought the colors were not really vibrant on them, and the contrast was too high, losing detail in the whites and skies. Tonight I finished watching Shout/Scream's disc, and I disagree roughly 1000% with those who don't think this is exponentially better. Lovely color, contrast proper, shadow detail present, sharp as its ever been. At last! I have owned this movie on every format on which it was ever available, starting with 8mm black and white/silent, then Super 8mm color/sound, then VHS, then laser disc (don't think it was ever released on CED) then DVD, and several inferior Blu-rays. This will certainly be the last copy I will ever need. Haven't seen it? You're in for a treat. Shout! is doing a lot of great work these past couple of years.

Wish I could enjoy your Perspecta Sound, Bob, but I am probably among a tiny handful of HTF members who has a home theater but not a discreet 5.1 system (my receiver is quite old and can only permit me a 4.0 surround, using five speakers but the sub-woofer is not separately powered). Right now having such a 5.1 installed (let alone Atmos) is out of the question. :(

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I've just watched the new Scream Factory Blu-ray of This Island Earth and am filled with joy at the superb HD presentation here, finally worthy of the film itself! Vibrant and genuine colors, great definition and wonderful sound. And the bonus features are extraordinary and of real value too. We collectors and fans can only rarely hope to experience the thrill in savoring a long held favorite film as though we are seeing it for the first time. For me, this was the case here!

Buy this without hesitation!

And many thanks to Shout/Scream Factory, Universal, Bob Furmanek and everyone else who has had a hand in bringing this treasure back to us!

MV5BMjA2MzY0NTIwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDgyMjkyMjE@._V1_.jpg

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Greg Kintz can better answer but if you have left, center and right speakers, it should work for you. Try it!

It’s not just the speakers, if I’m reading Dick’s post correctly, he might be running a simple Pro Logic system, in which case the results he gets from a 3.0 track will be dependent on how well his receiver decodes the three discrete channels into the Dolby matrix and then back out again.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Shout factory listed War of The Planets, the 50' & 200' Castle version as an extra. I did not see it listed on the back cover in the Extras section. Is it part of the extras?

Yes, provided by yours truly! It was a last minute addition and the cover was already done.

I suggested them for the set and Shout was delighted.
Bob, thank you so much for suggesting those as extras. I played both of those yesterday, and it brought back memories of me as a kid watching Castle Films mini-movies on my father's 8mm projector. Great stuff!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Bob, thank you so much for suggesting those as extras. I played both of those yesterday, and it brought back memories of me as a kid watching Castle Films mini-movies on my father's 8mm projector. Great stuff!

The 8-minute sound version came from a 16mm source. As a kid I could not afford 16mm. The 8mm/Super 8mm edition was, to my knowledge, never released by Castle with sound, unlike almost all its other Sci-Fi cut-downs.

Last edited:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob

I also grew up with Castle Films so they have a special place in my memories as well!

In fact, I’m putting together nearly one hours worth of Castle shorts (all taken from mint 16mm prints) for a very special upcoming Blu-ray collection...

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
For those wondering about subtle differences in the mono track; the mix is different.

Compare the scene at the dinner table when they are listening to Mozart. The music is very prominent in the mono mix and at the appropriate level - as quiet background music for dining - in the Perspecta mix.

Just a reminder...

Perspecta-playback.jpg

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
For those wondering about subtle differences in the mono track; the mix is different.

Compare the scene at the dinner table when they are listening to Mozart. The music is very prominent in the mono mix and at the appropriate level - as quiet background music for dining - in the Perspecta mix.

Just a reminder...

Perspecta-playback.jpg
Bob, I have discrete channels, except I use a phantom center (ie no actual center speaker). Do you think it would work ok?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
FYI, this appears to be on some kind of Amazon secret sale. When I put it in my cart and went to the final checkout page, there was an additional discount (around $4.50) added.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks