What's new

THIS ISLAND EARTH (1955) on Blu-Ray – when? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've had the German version for some time. Oddly, it's a step up in resolution over the DVD but the colors aren't as rich and ,in fact, look washed out in comparison.

As has been stated here why don't we have a region A version ?

Still hoping for When Worlds Collide, Destination Moon and War of the Worlds at some point.

Don't hold your breath. Unless Paramount finally releases all the classic films they hold hostage (scores and scores of them) to some small label, WWC and WOTW will not happen. DESTINATION MOON is in the endless stranglehold of Wade Williams.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've had the German version for some time. Oddly, it's a step up in resolution over the DVD but the colors aren't as rich and ,in fact, look washed out in comparison.

As has been stated here why don't we have a region A version ?

Still hoping for When Worlds Collide, Destination Moon and War of the Worlds at some point.

I agree with you. The black levels are rather weak.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I don't remember ever seeing this movie, and I'm not familiar with her, but my first thought upon seeing this thread was "Faith Domergue."

I must have seen newspaper ads when it first came out (when I was 3).

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
tie.jpg

tie2.jpg

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I saw this on it's initial run in 1955. Was sitting next to my mom, and the mutant, when in the spaceship dissolved, I jumped into my mom's lap and asked if they would please turn down the sound as it was scaring me. I do remember the trailer showing the small airplane being drawn up into the flying saucer in the green light.

Year later, I'm working an overtime day at the fire station (LAFD FS 20) across from the theater (The Ramona Theater) on Sunset Blvd/at Glendale Blvd.) and I tell him the story and we both laugh...such a small world.

Of course, it wasn't until years later that I finally saw the movie in its entirety.

Hence, one of my favorite movies of all time next to FORBIDDEN PLANET!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I was fortunate enough to see this theatrically when it was presented as a Saturday kiddie matinee in the 60's. I hope that a future domestic release on Blu-ray can duplicate the rich and saturated colors of the 35mm print I was so impressed with as a teenager. The German Blu is okay, but it's still a little contrasty and the colors remain weak, although stronger than previous video editions. A perfect release for Shout!

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I just don't get it we can have Queen of Outer Space but not This Island Earth, War of the Worlds, Destination Moon, When Worlds Collide or Conquest of Space

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Paramount has HD masters of War of the Worlds and Conquest Of Space available for rental and purchase on digital services like iTunes and Vudu. Now that they seem slightly more open to licensing stuff, hopefully one of their third party distributors will be allowed to put them out on a disc at some point.

Destination Moon is Wade Williams, so...(bangs head against wall in frustration)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There's an expensive deluxe edition being released in Germany, & they say it's a new 2018 transfer, so hopefully this is the new transfer.

Edit, it might not be a new master, it states, New digitally restored HD version (2018), & that could mean a lot of things.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It would be nice if Shout included a Perpecta 3.0 on this but I ain't holding my breath.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
We'll NEVER see this in our lifetime (us oldtimers) on a (US) BD on a disc. This movie, for us that collect sci-fi/horror, is our HOLY GRAIL...along with all the other 50's greats!!!

When it finally comes out on BD, throw it on my grave and say, "Geese, here it is, sorry it took so long to finally come out...oh, wait, you're the only one that cared if it did!!!" :eek:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
We'll NEVER see this in our lifetime (us oldtimers) on a (US) BD on a disc. This movie, for us that collect sci-fi/horror, is our HOLY GRAIL...along with all the other 50's greats!!!

When it finally comes out on BD, throw it on my grave and say, "Geese, here it is, sorry it took so long to finally come out...oh, wait, you're the only one that cared if it did!!!" :eek:
John, you obviously missed that the whole reason this thread got bumped today is that Shout Factory just announced a Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks