1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

THIS ISLAND EARTH (1955) on Blu-Ray - when?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by DonJLong, Jun 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DonJLong

DonJLong Auditioning

Does anyone have any idea if or when Universal Home Entertainment will get around to releasing the science fiction classic movie THIS ISLAND EARTH on Blu-Ray ???
    There was talk about this back in 2005 for its 50th Anniversary, but that came and went without it happening. A special edition DVD-Blu-Ray was discussed then, with special features, but as I recall, Universal was being sold from one parent company to another, and any plans they had then were put on hold or scrapped.
    As we saw, there was a bargain-level DVD release in 2006, which did not even use the original ads or movie posters, and it came off looking like a B-movie release, which irked a lot of the fans, due to its association with that silly MST3K movie of 1996.
    Another classic Universal film of the 1950s I would love to see on DVD & Blu-Ray is the first historical epic made by Universal, SIGN OF THE PAGAN (1954) in CinemaScope wide-screen format.

benbess and skylark68 like this.
  2. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    This is one of those titles that I've been waiting on for a long time. I hope that it appears sooner rather than later... Wonderful film with beautiful lighting and effects.

Jack K likes this.
  3. Wade Sowers

Wade Sowers Second Unit

Wade Sowers
  4. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

The French one is the best option. (Avoid the German one, which didn't play correctly and may not have been all-regions.)

5. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    This Island Earth is long overdue on BD since it's a really good looking film and minor sci-fi classic . Same goes for incredible Shrinking Man , and the rest of the films that were included on the two 1950's Sci -Fi box sets of DVDs . I have a hunch we'll see them as soon as they finish the Universal Monsters series (Invisible Man , and Creature From The Black Lagoon). Universal seems to be again actively releasing their catalog lately . Who knows , maybe someday we'll see the Abbott And Costello box set as well.

6. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I have a sneaky suspicion the Universal Monsters series may be stalled due, in part, to their Dark Universe series being at a standstill. Hopefully, I'm wrong!

CHEERS! :)

Jack K and Richard V like this.
  7. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
  8. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Region-free? No. But for those with multiregion players, Arrow UK (Region B-locked) has a fine edition of THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN. Germany offers good-quality Blus (also Region B-locked) of TARANTULA!, THE LAND UNKNOWN, and THE MONOLITH MONSTERS.

Wade Sowers likes this.
  9. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I have the German Blu Ray and just watched it for the 1st time this past weekend. I had no playback issues but it is region B on the box. Probably not as good looking as it could be. Every version I have ever seen of this movie seems to have less than the vibrant color that most 50's Universal movies have. Maybe that's the way its supposed to look. But either way its a big step up from the DVD and looks great in its OAR and not the full screen abomination on DVD. I usually avoid French blu rays because I keep hearing that most have non-removable subtitles.

10. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I'm really hoping someone will do a blu ray of the Deadly Mantis. I have a soft spot for this one but can't watch the DVD because of the awful full screen.

Richard V and Johnny Angell like this.
  11. J. Casey

J. Casey Second Unit

Jason
    I suspect that if we indeed see any of the 1950s Universal sci-fi titles in Region A, they'll be released by Shout! Of course, it all depends on how active Universal themselves remain in catalogue sales. If their latest efforts flop, I'd look to Shout!

12. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    Im holding out on importing as I also think Shout or Universal themselves will eventually get around to releasing it and their other 50s sci-fi favorites..

skylark68 likes this.
  13. John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    Most of us that even remember it are getting up in age. I'm sure my grandkids will enjoy it when it finally releases in what ever format is available to them at that time. :thumbsdown:

14. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    I too have the German BD; it rates as one of the worst transfers in my collection. Which is a damn shame.

15. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    We want This Island Earth to be done by the "good" Universal, which does titles like Spartacus & One-Eyed Jacks, & not the "not so good" Universal that pushes out a lot of aged HD masters.

16. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Add The Monster from Green Hell, and The Giant Claw please.

17. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy
    This Island Earth is a day one buy for me on BR

18. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

No forced subtitles on this EARTH: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_69/this_island_earth_blu-ray.htm

Wade Sowers and Randy Korstick like this.
  19. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I think Monster From Green Hell is one of those Wade Williams films . Giant Claw is Columbia, and their films seem to be going to Mill Creek . Hopefully Mill Creek will issue GC and other Columbia films on BD.

20. CarlosMeat

CarlosMeat Second Unit
    Supporter

Carlos
    I've had the German version for some time. Oddly, it's a step up in resolution over the DVD but the colors aren't as rich and ,in fact, look washed out in comparison.

As has been stated here why don't we have a region A version ?

Still hoping for When Worlds Collide, Destination Moon and War of the Worlds at some point.

John Sparks, Jack K and SteveJKo like this.