This is what we're up against

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Catherall, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

On a totally different forum, completely non-home theater related, I read the following quotes in one of the threads.
    quote: My parents bought a DVD player this weekend. (I have no idea what prompted them to...) And they are considering returning it because it seems it seems [sic] to them that most DVD's are only available in widescreen, which they can't stand. This is especially amusing because they have a *huge* TV.[/quote]
    And another person wrote:
    quote: I have to say, that it was nice to rent The Mummy Returns, and it was full screen. No black lines at top or bottom. My whole family cheered!!! (we too are new to the DVD scene...and almost wished we hadn't because of the wide screen format!).
    The Mummy Returns has some cool features on the disc though.
    We had fun with it.[/quote]
    In the past I would have been excited to find out that these kind of people "embraced" the DVD format by buying a DVD player. However, right now I hope they return they're players today and don't look back. It's people like this that are the threat to the DVD format as we would like it.
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Bill Catherall on October 16, 2001 at 05:48 PM]

2. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Good riddance to bad rubbish...
    Maybe DVD players should come with a disclaimer:
    Warning, DVDs may contain the original theatrical picture which may not fit properly in your TV. To properly display the wider picture, black bars are neccessary for this type of presentation. If you don't like the black bars, (a) stick to VHS, (b)use the 4:3 Pan & Scan feature in the DVD player setup menu, (c) get used to it.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

3. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Bill:
    Your articles made me laugh. I just got in from Blockbuster. The wife is working nights, so I thought I'd pop out and pick up a movie to watch for the evening, once I get the little ones off to bed.
    So I asked the clerk; Do you get a lot of complaints of discs coming back with scratches etc? (I had to return 3 or 4 last month, which is a pain in the arse). She looked up and said sternly, "yes, DVD's were the biggest mistake Blockbuster ever made"..... So I said well, they're the way of the future. If you didn't carry DVD's, I'm sure many of your shifts would be rather quiet ones (considering the vast majority of the store is now DVD).
    She then opened the disc case to inspect the disc, I suppose in light of me making the comment of the scratched discs etc. She then wiped her hand with what looked to be covered with entire day's workload (and maybe lunch too), and said, "there! That looks better".
    Last but not least, she then says that, "she hoped the owner would put a DVD player in the store, so that staff could watch some of the movies during their evening shifts". I thought a huge movie rental store, without even a DVD player..... this was beautiful!
    So, while I am certainly confident DVD is here to stay, I'm afraid I don't have the same level of confidence for our beloved widescreen format. Dollars are going to dictate what takes place in the future and it seems as though, the vast majority of them just don't seem to "get it".... A certain level of "dumbness" in our society is needed (it keeps many of us employed, myself included). However, there comes a point in time, when you realize, that level is greater than you can even imagine!
    Herb.
    ------------------

4. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

The really sad thing is that they don't even want to try to get used to widescreen discs. If they took some time to get used to widescreen they would probably find going back to full screen difficult.
    ------------------

5. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

My Mom used to be a "black-bar whiner" until a few months of re-education. Last week, she had a few friends over and I heard her explain how they simply had to watch "this Die Hard feature that shows the difference". She's helping me to convert people to OARism!
    ------------------
    Scott Weinberg
    ------------------
    http://members.home.net/scott2915/_vti_txt/ofcs

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

It's sort of like seat belts. Just like widescreen TV's, once upon a time they didn't exist. After several years as being an option (widescreen TV's today) they became mandatory (200?).
    I don't normally talk like this, but they will have to be shoved down their F****** throats before they gain any acceptance at all. Its just too bad they can't issue tickets for possessing a 4:3!
    Glenn

7. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

quote: this Die Hard feature that shows the difference[/quote]
    Which Die Hard feature are you referring to? I have only watched Die Hard 3 (just the film) and haven't gotten around to the rest of my Die Hard set or features. If there is something on one of these discs that have a widescreen vs. pan/scan demo, I want to check it out.
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
    My List O' DVDs:
    http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=meshuga
    [Edited last by Brad_W on October 17, 2001 at 12:32 AM]

8. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

Some people just don't know any better and don't care.Tis' a shame. [​IMG]

9. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

10. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

11. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

How hard is it to realize that theater screens are WIDESCREEN, not square like a tv.
    I wonder when will John Q. Public start complaining why movie theater screens are not square, like their TV. :angry:

12. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

It's time to line these people up for 'Re-Ned-ucation...!"
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

13. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

And here's another one from a discussion about The Phantom Menace:

14. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

What I don't get, is why studios are not taking advantage of P&S on the fly. Master everything in OAR, then give the user a menu and let them select OAR or P&S. That way, when the masses get around to accepting OAR, they'll already have the correct discs.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this is never implemented, due to the simple fact that they know people will buy multiple copies of the disc. When they come around, they'll have to re-buy movies to watch them as intended.
    ------------------
    -Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

15. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I wonder if this latter comment was referring to 1.85:1 vs 2.35:1. Big difference on a small screen to an oblivious J6P.

16. Joe McKeown

Joe McKeown Stunt Coordinator

Ryan Wright,
    What is P&S on the fly?
    God I hate P&S but if they can have it their way and I can still have widescreen then I'm all for it.
    I wonder if, when the 16x9 sets take off, will they P&S 2.35 stuff back to 1.85? Will 1.33 stuff get a vertical P&S? (Pedestal & scan??!?)
    Joe

17. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

18. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    They are the enemy to me.

19. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Why does everyone keep saying, "More features like the one on Die Hard will educate these people"? That is completely wrong. Do you really think these people are going to go into the special features section and actually watch these types of features? No way.
    The only way such a feature would be useful would be if the displays at the store had it running on the TV. OR, better yet, TWO TV's with one showing a 2.35:1 movie in widescreen and one showing fullscreen with a banner that says "WIDESCREEN GIVES YOU MORE." However, we all know that isn't going to happen any time soon.
    I agree that studios ought to use the P&S on the fly, though I have to say I'm not aware of the technical issues associated with this option.
    Regards,
    Dan

20. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter