This is what racing games are all about

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jay Mitchosky, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Finally finished the Kudos World Series on Project Gotham Racing 2. How people finished so quickly I have no idea. But the final race for my last silver medal had my heart racing and hands shaking. Two laps totalling over 30 miles of a huge high-speed track racing some of the world's most outrageous super cars. 200mph and the wrong twitch sends you into the weeds. Doesn't help with the {begin understatement} aggressive AI {end understatement} constantly trying to ram you off the road. That combined with the knowledge that the race lasts almost 15 minutes and it will be a bitch to have to run it again.

Life is good.

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Oh man, I am a hardcore video game racing fan (thats why i got a dreamcast [​IMG]) ), i played PGR2 in store the other day, it was awesome...

Congrats on finishing it... yeah, its toooo tense when you're blasting throug the course, and one wrong move could screw up the whole race...

3. MattBu

MattBu Stunt Coordinator

Nick-

I HIGHLY recommend picking up PGR2. It's awesome, even when Darius is yelling at you for not using your brakes.

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Is it easier, harder, or the same difficulty as PGR1?

-Dave

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

8. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

PGR2 is the best bang for the buck on the console, period. It has the best Xbox Live integration of any game yet, truly enhancing the single-player experience before you ever even get to multiplayer.

I'm in agreement, I have no clue how people have finished the KWS at platinum... it's been relatively easy to complete the challenges at the silver level so far (just completed the American Muscle Car series, have 5 more series to go I think), but I've only done ONE platinum challenge for the heck of it (one of the camera ones that seemed easy) and can't imagine completing the whole thing on platinum. I think it'll be fun to try, but I have no actual hope of ever doing it. Watching some of the ghosts shows me that I have the finesse of a particularly clumsy ostrich. I am more amazed that I hit a turn correctly than when I smash into a wall to put it in perspective.

They really outdid themselves with this one. And I can only imagine that Rallisport Challenge 2 will top it [​IMG].

9. MattBu

MattBu Stunt Coordinator

here here with all the compliments bestowed so far.

The ability to see immediately after a race how you stack up to those that came before you is just incredible. The fact that I've never finished higher than in the 500s, and how I did that I have NO idea trust me, just speaks to how difficult this game is to master. The fact that I've never felt that any car was out of reach and that there are easy levels of difficulty so that ANYONE can advance - speaks to how easy it is to get into the game. As a Veteran of MSR I found this game easy to jump into.

My one complaint is that there aren't dream cars in each class which are extremely difficult to acquire. In games where they lock classes it would be nice to have a car that not everyone else has, for example I would have liked to see the Mini S, or perhaps the Civic R type - or just SOMETHING special and unique.

But that's so minor for a game that I view as flawless, A+.

10. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

Right on, this game is excellent! I have been addicted for weeks now. I finished it on silver a couple weeks back and have since been trying to finish with all golds. DARN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE! I have no idea how people have done it with all platinums. I am having too much fun with this one, XBOX Live is a MUST for this title.

11. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I rented PGR2 and found it too easy on the "Silver difficulty" . I was completing every challenge at no more than 2 tries. Maybe I was just upgrading to a vehicle that was too easy. For example, I bought the Porsche Cayenne Turbo and pretty
    much won EVERY race on the first try the SUV class.

Is that pretty typical?

12. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

PGR 2 is way easier than PGR - except for some of the Platinum medals. XBL play makes up for it though!

13. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

The Porche Cayenne out-classes all other vehicles in that SUV class by a mile.

I've found that the Arcade challenge Silver's are harder than to get than the Kudos World Series silvers.

I'm working my way through, getting Silvers first, then trying Golds (and even some platinums) where I've felt that it was worth trying.

I would say that this is the most fun I've ever had with a racing game.

14. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

15. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

16. MattBu

MattBu Stunt Coordinator

17. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I went ahead and bought PGR2 last night since it didn't make any sense to rent it AGAIN for ANOTHER 5.99. I blew through the "roadster" class I think it's called, with the Cobra. That's a tough car to drive but it's fast as hell once you get it down.

I'm finding that the "cone challenges" are the hardest for me on the platinum difficulty. I always end up 200-300 points short of the mark. I always focus on running 'clean' races and it's tough for me to change gears mentally and start driving for more points.

I always like to see the "GOOD LINE!" Kudos!

18. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

So much for this game being easy! I picked up the Mad Catz racing wheel tonight and the game suddenly got MUCH more difficult. Dammit! It's like a totally different game now.

19. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I finished the KWC on silver. I also agree that it was too easy, but the game is so long that it would take forever to beat it if you had to struggle with each challenge. I doubt I'll go for higher metals, as I'd rather play some of my neglected games(bought Metroid Prime on release and still haven't finished). The different style in the cone tracks also contributed to me losing interest. In the first, you really had to work by fishtailing on narrow roads to link cones, whereas it doesn't take extraordinary feats to link them in PGR2. You are also allotted a lot less time in PGR2, which means there isn't time for gratuitous 360s

20. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Well, I just got my copy for Christmas and it is an excellent game. I am finding it to be mostly doable to complete all the silver races but anyone who can do any of the Platinums is one hell of a good player and deserves mad mad props.

One little thing I noticed is that in addition to hundreds of events to play through, they went to the trouble of doing things like the garage and showroom as little extras. I just thought it was really neat to "walk" around and look at all the different cars in the game and it is certainly something they did not have to do to still have a kick ass game, yet they did it anyway.