What's new

this is what i want to do...your input please (1 Viewer)

AmitT

Auditioning
hey everyone..

first, lemme post a pic to better illustrate what im thinking..

ok.. so my room is pretty long.. and i want a tv to be located so that i can watch it while in bed, and while at my desk.
if i was to hang the tv on the wall where the desk is, i think it would be kinda far to watch from my bed. the room is about hmm.. 30 - 40 feet long... yes, its a long room.

so anyway, i was thinking to get a plasma tv and hang it from the ceiling midway in the room... and have it so that im able to turn the tv to face either the desk, or the bed.. either by remote or by hand...whatever. i think its a neat idea and lotsa pimp factor to it.

im pretty sure its feasible, but what things would i have to keep in mind? for example, if i want to add components like dvd player, vcr, and surround sound, etc.. weight of the tv, what type of support would hold the tv from the ceiling, stuff like that. i guess the wiring would go thru the attic.

overall, can this be done? and what tv's would be good for such an application? anyone have links or models or anything?

and how bout for the mounting of it, and the fact that i want something that turns, where can i find that? links? pics?

thanks in advance :)

ps: oh, if u have any other creative ideas, or setups or anything, do let me know.. im very open to suggestions.. i just thought this woulda been nice and it woulda suited my needs.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Hi Amit,

Welcome to HTF! :)

I agree your idea is very sexy but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be more practical to instead mount it on a credenza or other cabinet which could house the wiring not only for it but for the accessory components you would need to make it really trick. The credenza could also act as a visual divider keeping the office and bed areas separate as well as allow practical storage space since, even if you hung the display, you couldn't use the space underneath it. Accidents with the vacuum cleaner and other furniture would be far less likely as well. It would also be far easier to keep all the wiring in one place, require less of a run, be potentially more elegant, and cost less overall. There are a few companies that make credenzas with motorized lifts so, for pimp factor, you could have the display rise up from the cabinet and then rotate to the desired position. About the only concern I would have would be in how to place the remotely-controlled devices so that you could use your remote from either side of the room. There are products to increase the range of IR signals as well as "IR Blaster" type devices that can act as central IR receivers but I don't know much about them.

Good luck with your plan and welcome again to HTF!

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Why not just run one component cable set to the plasma hanging from the ceiling, and wire the other components in another area, say by the desk?

One thing you could consider is a speaker mount or other swival point for the plasma so you can turn it.

I think the idea is way cool, btw!

AmitT

Auditioning
hey guys,

thanks for the welcome!

and great ideas actually.. i'll look into them, and keep you posted about whatever i do!

thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks