What's new

This is The End Quick Review (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This is the end could best be described as one of the dirtiest, crudest, off color films that uses hard-R setups in a way that very few films would ever attempt. There is a segment here in which Danny McBride and James Franco carry on a debate that is one of the most uncomfortable moments for it's language alone I remember..

And yes, I laughed my ass off. It's ridiculous, offensive and the plot is completely ridiculous.. but I admit, a bit like Borat, I found myself cackling along. The direction here is inventive, the setup is simply silly.. but all of the characters lampoon themselves to unbelievable extent. There are just no holds barred in how far they go to really lay low their own image as perceived, not as real.. Jonah Hill KILLED me in this.

If you're going in expecting an intricate plot that has a super cohesive story without a ton of plotholes, you're going to be very frustrated.. but if you embrace that this is an off the wall comedy that is designed to be completely full of holes while making you laugh your ass off, prepare for one of the funniest dirty comedies I've seen.

This will be "own" material on Blu-Ray for me.

Caveat: more than a few people walked out of my "sneak" screening, specifically at that moment above.. and this will have comedy that may go over the top and really offend some people; but if you can take the joke, it's hard not to laugh.

B+

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought this was absolutely hilarious but I'm a big fan of all the guys in this movie so this thing was almost made for me. Anyone Eastbound & Down fan will definitely want to see Danny McBride being a funny scumbag here too.

I avoid trailers as much as possible and I don't watch TV commercials but was there a lot of elements that were not ruined by the ad campaign? If that's the case, I wish more movies would take a lesson from this goofy thing when creating ads.

mattCR said:
There is a segment here in which Danny McBride and James Franco carry on a debate that is one of the most uncomfortable moments for it's language alone I remember..
I don't know what it says about me but I thought that was the funniest bit in the movie by far.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Considering I like movies such as...The Night PorterYPFEuroTrip(the safeword bit with Lucy Lawless is priceless) CaddyshackDirty MovieThe Big TeaseI'll probably be the one who thought they could do more, but enjoy it anyway.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
schan1269 said:
Considering I like movies such as...The Night PorterYPFEuroTrip(the safeword bit with Lucy Lawless is priceless)CaddyshackDirty MovieThe Big TeaseI'll probably be the one who thought they could do more, but enjoy it anyway.
God, I have to admit, Eurotrip is a very up and down movie, but it has a few bits in it that do get me; the entire opening segment with "Johny Didn't Know" with Matt Damon gets me everytime. That and how far an American Dollar goes in what was East Germany ;)
I don't know what it says about me but I thought that was the funniest bit in the movie by far.
Yeah, I laughed hard too.. so wild.. but that was the moment a few people fled the pre-screening.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
That's right. FYI, to me the funniest moment in this (spoilers for now)

Was the scene outside of where Emma Watson was sleeping as they debated the 'rapey' vibe... between that and Michael Cierra and the juice boxes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
That's right. FYI, to me the funniest moment in this (spoilers for now)

Was the scene outside of where Emma Watson was sleeping as they debated the 'rapey' vibe... between that and Michael Cierra and the juice boxes.
That was funny and his
blowing cocaine in Christopher Mintz-Plasse's face was very funny.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Saw it today and laughed so much I was in tears. If only The Hangover 3 had been this funny.Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Todd H said:
Saw it today and laughed so much I was in tears. If only The Hangover 3 had been this funny.Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
I was going to see it today, but circumstances prevented me from doing so. However, I will definitely see it tomorrow.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hilarious. Michael Cera steals his scenes. Definite buy

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I watched it earlier today and thought it was very funny. It wasn't as funny as some of the hype led me to believe but I still enjoyed the film because I simply never knew where it was going to go next. I think it's best that no spoilers are given to those walking into the film because there are several twists along the way that you simply don't see coming. I think the film's need to shock and keep the viewer off guard is one of the reasons it works so well even when it's not making you laugh. I also thought there was quite a bit of heart during the final scenes (I won't reveal what exactly happens).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
I also thought there was quite a bit of heart during the final scenes (I won't reveal what exactly happens).
Since both of them do it, I'm guessing that Judd Apatow 'taught' Seth Rogen the value of writing movies that have some heart in the middle of all of the vulgarity. I find the friendships, relationships and the profane way that people talk to each in their various movies (like Freaks And Geeks, Undeclared, Girls, Knocked Up, Funny People, Superbad, Pineapple Express, This Is The End) to be very similar or at least relatable to many of my own at various points in my life.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I agree that they capture the way guys talk to one another much better than most previous filmmakers from the past couple decades. I think another one that "got it right" was STAND BY ME and look at the dialogue in that one. I thought the scenes of them
"going into the light"
were exceptionally well done.

mike caronia

Second Unit
Michael Cera was the star of this one.

I laughed my ass off, had no idea that was the direction this movie would go.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
It was alright, not as funny as I thought it was going to be though.
Same here - firm "C+" territory while I expected at least a "B+":.

Too many of the jokes were based on the notion that it's funny to see these actors criticize each others' movies. It kind of had a "Jay and Silent Bob..." vibe in that way, but it wasn't as much fun. It also reminded me a bit of "Extras" except the actors didn't real go as "out of character" as they did in that series.
It had some decent laughs - nothing that got me rolling - and was moderately entertaining but it didn't go farther than that for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks