"This is the Army" release on Delta - any information?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Nicholls, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    "This is the Army" http://us.imdb.com/Title?0036430 is a great musical, with songs written by Irving Berlin and direction by Mike "Casablanca" Curtiz. It won the Oscar for Best Music. DVDpricesearch is reporting that a DVD copy is coming out tomorrow, 20 August, on the "Delta" label. Does anyone have any news about this release? I'm waiting for this very politically incorrect release: can you imagine Ronald Reagan directing a "soldiers in DRAG" musical number?

2. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Sounds like it's in the public domain. Delta is a german-based company. They released budget CD product on the Laserlight label in the U.S. I suspect it was mastered from a print and not from original elements as are most PD titles.

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Well I guess I get to be the guinea pig on this title. I'll post comments when it arrives.
    Too bad it doesn't include my favorite Irving Berlin song, "Arms for the Love of America".... http://www.goordnance.apg.army.mil/ordsong.htm [​IMG]

4. NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards Stunt Coordinator

I am anxious to hear info on this title. The last Delta title I viewed "Santa Fe Trail" was missing tracks and timings. I hate that ... never know where I am in the movie if I have to stop it for a minute. Also, the quality was poor. Other Delta titles have had the Delta logo in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Bad again.

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    That's not good news. Actually, This is the Army is bundled in a two disk set with The Santa Fe Trail....

But I guess it can't be much worse than my old public-domain VHS copy....the tracking was so bad both the picture and sound were terrible.

6. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

The " Oh, How I Hate To Get Up In The Morning" sung by Mr. Berlin should be in color.