What's new

This Is Spinal Tap: CC vs. MGM (1 Viewer)

Nathan A

Second Unit
the criterion is non-anamorphic with the original stereo soundtrack. the aspect ratio is 1.70:1

as for extras- it's got 2 separate commentaries. one by the band members (the actors, not in-character like the mgm one) and the other is with rob reiner, the producer and the editors. there's over an hour of deleted scenes (some of which is also on the mgm release, but there's plenty of exclusive footage). then there's a 20 minute demo reel ("spinal tap: the final tour") which is a 20 minute bit they put together after they'd shot a lot of film to try to sell it to one of the movie studios.

that's pretty much it, except for the $100+ price difference. if you're a really, really big fan then it's worth it, but if not then you'd probably want to save your $$ (unless by chance you find a deal on it). as for myself, my sister made my christmas very, very merry. what an awesome sister.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
The Criterion disc also features the film's original, burned-in subtitles which make it look like a real documentary.
The MGM version's subtitles are player-generated, which are a bit distracting for a lot of people, including me. Detracts from the feel.
Both versions feature worthwile extras, so true Tap fans will want to own both.
And now for the required Tap quote:
Janitor: . . .and then there's a little jog there, about thirty feet.
Derek: A jog?
Janitor: . . .jog to the left. . .
David: A jog?
Derek: We don't have time for that.
:)
-mwb-

Chad Parks

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a pretty big fan of the film, and I'm VERY happy that I have both, as there isn't that much overlap on the extras.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Spinal Tap: Criterion's commentaries are worth the price of admission... they are very informative (the MGM disc's commentary is more funny than informative :) )
This is Spinal Tap is one of my favorite films... so I had to get both editions. If suggest that if you really want the Criterion edition... do what I did... get the LaserDisc (its a bunch cheaper, has the same transfer, and uncompressed PCM sound) :D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Then there's a 20 minute demo reel ("spinal tap: the final tour") which is a 20 minute bit they put together after they'd shot a lot of film to try to sell it to one of the movie studios.
Actually they made this demo before the film was shot in order to demonstrate to prospective investers/studios what the concept was since they didn't have a script per-say that made straight forward sense to any studio they showed it to, they used some of the footage from the demo in the early parts of the film (I.E. crowd interviews).
Another good reason to nab the Criterion Laserdisc version is that it has one very interesting tidbit that neither the Criterion or MGM DVD's have, the very first appearance of Spinal Tap on television circa 1977/78. The song is called Rock & Roll Nightmare & it is a funny "live" performance ala' Don Kirshner's Rock Concert.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Let me get this straight, the Criterion disc with all the extra's is NOT anamorphic? What?

MichaelAW

Second Unit
I have the CC DVD (one of the first I ever bought) and still haven't gotten around to getting the MGM version.

I love the movie, though, like most of you do. Should I buy the MGM version then, and treat it as a "second disc" extra, or not bother? I'd love to hear the in-character commentary, but is it something I'd want to hear more than once?

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
I have them both editions, and each go to "11" (on a scale of 1-10)
Seriously, I loan out my MGM copy when people want to see what it's all about...if they really want to explore the movie (after they've seen all the MGM stuff) then we will watch/listen to the rest at my house.
I can't really reccommend the Criterion version (because of e-bay prices) unless you're a big fan.
*I* picked up the Criterion dics to complete my collection of ALL their discs, and to enjoy the movie completely.
.02 worth
~Rob

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Should I buy the MGM version then, and treat it as a "second disc" extra...
Definitely buy the MGM version as a supplement to your Criterion. For Tap fans it's worth the modest price just for the menus alone. You will know what I mean when you see/hear it - trust me. :D

Cliff B

Agent
The 'in-character' commentary on the MGM version is hilarious! It's almost like watching a new movie.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Well, dissenting voice here....

I LOVE This Is Spinal Tap. Always have, always will. But I honestly think the in-character commentary is pretty lame. It makes you realize why they needed to shoot hundreds of hours of footage to get enough good material for the film -- because they just aren't that good at improvising. Sure, there are moments, but most of the time the humor stumbles and fails.

IMHO, of course.

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
Martin's somewhat right:
There's a fine line between clever & stupid...right?
~Rob

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I understand that you're just expressing your opinion, fine by me, but I'd just like to rebutt. If they weren't that good at improvising how do you explain the wonder that is This Is Spinal Tap. I watched most of it with the commentary, and the constant 'oh, (s)he's dead now' had me rolling over laughing. If you don't like the 'Tap' commentary that's fine. As long as we alll agree on one thing: "the cover is SO black, It's like, how much blacker could it be?"

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I watched most of it with the commentary, and the constant 'oh, (s)he's dead now' had me rolling over laughing.
*shrug* That wasn't that funny to me. It just seemed like a throwaway gag that they predictably fell back on over and over again.

I guess what bothered me most was that it seemed like they were stepping on each other's toes a lot. Like:

Nigel: "[funny remark]"

David: "[funnier, but contradictory, remark]"

Nigel: "(sounding slightly annoyed that his joke has been outdone) Are you sure? I thought [reiterates funny remark]"

And so forth. Sorry I don't have specific examples, but it's been a while since I've heard the commentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks