What's new

This is probably something many of you can relate to... (1 Viewer)

Don't take this too seriously. I am pretty much a newbie on this forum and I need some help. Some time ago I decided that my Aiwa shelf system just wasn't cutting it anymore. I've been reading all the posts. I've been going to the stores and listening and looking. So after a while I start to get an idea of what things cost and what I might want to get. Since my budget is limited and my apartment is small I decide that the best decision under the circumstances is the Kenwood HTB-544. This, I feel represents a rationale, reasonable, and, above all, RESTRAINED purchase, (and I can always upgrade in the future). Here's the problem.

The little voice in my head that keeps me out of trouble tells me to stop and check with the better half before making this purchase. Guess what she said? unecessary, too expensive, and worst of all - there's nothing wrong with the one we have? I need a plan of attack, guys. I mean, if she had any idea what I was thinking of buying two weeks ago...

Jason Handy

Second Unit
You need to appeal to her feminine side. Translation: buy her something really neat so that she will crumble when you ask about home theater purchases.

This has worked for me so far. Give it a shot.

Jason

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
This is what usually works for me. First, figure out exactly what you want and how much it costs. Then start talking about it a lot and showing her gear that costs about 10 times what you want. When you finally show her what you really want and how much it costs, it doesn't seem all that bad after all the really high end gear and she'll give in. =)

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
This is a tough one. First off if someone you love can not appreciate the things you are interested in, then I believe that can lead to real troubles. I'm not saying she has to go demo speakers with you, although it helps to ensure she likes them. I think a general appreciation is not too much to expect.
For instance, once I wanted to put a blanked over the cinder block wall behind my listening area to reduce reflections. She said absolutely not. So I said ok, and we went about our lives. I was not happy and she knew it. Then later she said, if you really want to put a blanket up, it won't hurt anything, and it might even sound better but I won't like it, and I don't agree with it.
I ended up buying a subwoofer, unrelated story, and it did sound better. :) The point is she accepted my hobby despite her objections. She actually paid for the sub, because I was broke.
Remember that the better half, is just half. And that you, as the other half have just as much 50% say so in this as she does.
HOWEVER - If you are say in my current employment status, a part time job but not enough money to really mention, then buying speakers is sort of silly and the money could be used for something else.
In all sincerely a relationship is about compromise, if you give up, there is no compromise.
ALSO, don't blame me if she kicks your ass, denies services, or otherwise damages you for taking my advice. I'm just saying, things are quite right there IMHO and you should see what can be done. However, the denial of services is a great motivator, and if she pulls that card on you, I'm sorry for you because I know who will win.
Jon

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
what you did wrong is ask fisrt. If you really want something you are going to get it anyway. Now that you asked and she said no. When you buy it you are going either to be in big trouble or you are going to owe her big. With my wife I just buy it, set it up and if she dosent notice well then.... But if she says "did you get a new _ _ _ _ _ _... No I've had it for awhile or yea a long time ago. There women and they do the same thing only in different ways.

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Just buy whatever you want and face the consequences later! :)
They always say there is nothing wrong with the one you have. She's using the oldest trick in the female arsenal.
What if the cavemen said "New home? There's nothing wrong with the cave we have!"
What if the founding fathers said "New government? There's nothing wrong with British colonization and the tax laws that we have!"
What if the Philadelphia Eagles said "New receivers? There's nothing wrong with James Thrash! Cris Carter can stay with the Vikings."
Everything can use some improvement even if she can't understand the revolutionary forces at work in the male brain.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Josh, welcome to the forum.

There's a list of kiddie quotes making the rounds that includes this, from a 12-year-old:

If you want your mom to get you a dog, start out by asking for a pony.

Jon

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
Josh,
I hope you don't mind a litte story from the female POV?
My hubbie went to the local High-End Stereo Dealer and came home all a-glow..."they've got this great amp for $200 off, last one, has all the functions we want, can we get it?"
Well at first I was the same as your better half..."we don't need it, ours is not broken, ect." the usual things us females say.
But afer bringing the piece home (with a guarantee from the shop that if I didn't like it I could get a refund in 5 days) I found every CD and DVD I owned sounded so much better on this new amp I knew I'd be crazy to return it.
Could you possibly use this story to appeal to your better half...does she not have any CD's or DVD's that she just loves that you could show her how it'll sound so much better?
Good luck...us females can be a stubbron lot.
:D

Dan Long

Auditioning
I must have a saint for a wife. We got a 62" TV at the Sears scratch and dent store for around 1700. Since we had 2500 budgeted I was able to lobby for a new surround sound system since "this old one is a piece of sh!t". While I couldn't spend the 1k I wanted on separate components, I was able to get a HTIB for around 500, and it sounds great in our room. Just 2 weeks ago, I convinced her I needed a new keyboard for my band, and she let me get it! And it was twice as expensive as the one I asked her for a couple months ago that she shot down!

Dan

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Wow, do I feel lucky. My wife just up and decided we needed a Sony Wega 36" TV. Did I complain about it, noooooo!! She also just let me buy a parasound HCA-2200 II amplifier.

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm single, so I don't have these problems :D . My goal is to have my ideal system before I marry, so that way it'll be the package deal. Seriously though, use diplomacy. If she's completely unwilling to budge, you can always refuse money the next time she wants to buy a new carpet or stick designer soap sculptures on the toilet.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Tonight I talked her into a Parasound 2003A 3 channel amplifier:). What a keeper. Of course she gets clothes and shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks