This is pretty cool! Just received a "24" demo DVD!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John_Berger, Sep 11, 2003.

1. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I just got a demo DVD from Suncoast that includes the first two episodes of season two of "24". It also includes a coupon for up to $10 off the purchase of the first two seasons of "24".

I never watched "24" or really had any desire to do so, but now I have two full episodes that I can watch at my leisure to be able to make a fairly informed decision and a $10 coupon if their little bait works.

I don't think that this will be enough to interest me in buying "24", but it could work with other series. As far as I'm concerned, this is some brilliant marketing.

Any thoughts?

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    They were handing them out at Best Buy, owner of Suncoast, for a while. It's good marketing, true, but nothing to call home about.

3. WillG

WillG Producer

John,

I cannot reccomend 24 enough. But Don't go near that demo disc until you have seen Season One

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

In comparison to what we normally get, which is nothing more than a teaser on another DVD or a paper coupon in a magazine, this kind of advertising could be incredibly effective as long as they don't necessarily pull an AOL on us. "Get your Simpsons demo DVD at any Post Office, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Suncoast, Blockbuster, and dont forget the fifteen copies per week that will be in your mail box." [​IMG]

5. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

Oh, you just wait. Man, if only I could go back to my first experience watching 24. After the first episode, I stayed up until 3 in the morning for about 3 days watching it. Truly one of the most amazing shows ever on tv.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, futureshop had a little stall here on campus and were giving them away as well... Free DVD, im not complaining [​IMG]

7. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I agree with the comment above. "24" is VERY addictive show, and I have confidence that you will like it if you give it a chance.

HOWEVER........If you do watch those two episodes from Season 2 and get into the story, it will seriously ruin your enjoyment of Season 1, if you ever decided to watch it. Even as early as the first episode of Season 2, reveals what happens to some very important characters from Season 1 (and you see who doesn't die!).

So, you can either watch those two episodes and see if you like the show, or just take us for our words and just buy the two seasons (if you get into the first season, you will kick yourself for not using the coupon to get season 2) and start it from the beginning, and that way, everything that happens will be a surprise.

8. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

I collect quite a few shows on DVD, but if I were told tomorrow that I was only limited to owning one show, my choice would be "24"...

Why you ask? Because each season of "24" is basically one 24-hour movie (with commercials). It is a complete story that takes from episode 1-24 to unfold.

When watching the show week-by-week it seems hard to believe that it all takes place in one day, but when you watch the episodes in close proximity, you can "sort of" buy the idea (a little bit at least).

The acting is superb. This is the best work that Kiefer Sutherland has done in his career (in my opinion). He is heroic without being a too "goody-goody". There is an edginess to the character of Jack Bauer.

I recommend season 1 before watching season 2.

9. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I think that you better put money aside for the whole box 'cuz once you start watching those two episodes, I'd bet you'd want the rest of them.

Mike

10. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I picked this up today as well, at Best Buy, mainly for the 10 bucks off the set that I was buying at the same time.
    What i thought was strange was BB advertised this a few weeks ago, So when I went then, I figured they were already out, but they put them out this week next to the S2 sets....
    Kinda odd....

11. Brent M

Brent M Producer

Best show on TV and it's more addictive than any show I've ever watched(even The Sopranos).