This is one of the email scams, right?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DanaA, Jun 19, 2004.

1. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Received this, supposedly from ebay, today twice. Ebay never asks you to follow a link to another site and give out personal information, right? Look at the highlighted text especially.

eBay request: Pay your fees to eBay

Dear eBay customer,
    Due to our new services you have to pay your eBay fees.You can pay with your credit/debit card. We will ask for your credit/debit card only once.We will charge your account once per month.However you will receive a confirmation request in about 24 hours after the credit/debit card is authorized.You have 24 hours from the time you'll receive the e-mail to complete this eBay Request.
    Note:Ignoring this message will cause eBay TKO Suspension notice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To make the funds payable to us please use this link:
    http://********************

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eBay will request personal data(password; credit card/bank numbers, and so on) in this email.
    Thank you for using eBay!

eBay will request personal data(password; credit card/bank numbers, and so on) in this email.

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Received this, supposedly from ebay, today twice. Ebay never asks you to follow a link to another site and give out personal information, right? Look at the highlighted text especially.

eBay request: Pay your fees to eBay

Dear eBay customer,
    Due to our new services you have to pay your eBay fees.You can pay with your credit/debit card. We will ask for your credit/debit card only once.We will charge your account once per month.However you will receive a confirmation request in about 24 hours after the credit/debit card is authorized.You have 24 hours from the time you'll receive the e-mail to complete this eBay Request.
    Note:Ignoring this message will cause eBay TKO Suspension notice.

To make the funds payable to us please use this link:
    http://********************

Thank you for using eBay!

3. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Yup, it's a scam.

If you're worried, go to Ebay yourself (not following a link) and log into your account. If there's anything Ebay would want you to do, you'll find out there.

4. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Yup, it's a scam.

If you're worried, go to Ebay yourself (not following a link) and log into your account. If there's anything Ebay would want you to do, you'll find out there.

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Thanks to the both of you. [​IMG]

I did forward it to ebay's spoof site and they, almost instantaneously, advised that it was a fake.

Amazing world we live in. Wonder how many people are unfortunate enough to be taken in by a scam like this? Sad that people would act like parasites.

6. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Thanks to the both of you. [​IMG]

I did forward it to ebay's spoof site and they, almost instantaneously, advised that it was a fake.

Amazing world we live in. Wonder how many people are unfortunate enough to be taken in by a scam like this? Sad that people would act like parasites.

7. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    yeah it is pretty bad that some people would stoop so low.

anyway, due to my new services, you have to pay your CJ Reynolds fees. you can pay with your debit or credit card.
    Note:Ignoring this message will cause home theater forum Suspension notice.

CJ

8. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    yeah it is pretty bad that some people would stoop so low.

anyway, due to my new services, you have to pay your CJ Reynolds fees. you can pay with your debit or credit card.
    Note:Ignoring this message will cause home theater forum Suspension notice.

CJ

9. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

No, no, no, CJ, please don't cause me to be suspended. Please!!!!!

Just give me the link and I'll put in the numbers of all my credit cards. Charge whatever you think is right.

OK! OK!????

[​IMG]

10. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

No, no, no, CJ, please don't cause me to be suspended. Please!!!!!

Just give me the link and I'll put in the numbers of all my credit cards. Charge whatever you think is right.

OK! OK!????

[​IMG]

11. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Good one Dana!

Ebay is not alone here. Earthlink has has a bad one running for over a year now, and a few banks (cough, cough) have joined in too.

I got the Earthlink one and knew that it was bad because I pay them only once a year, and never with my card! So I sent the whole thing back at them (I was one of the first). They stopped a few weeks later, but then started up again.

What I don't understand - at least about the Earthlink one, was why it wasn't caught when it got to their IP site. It says - from Earthlink and yet they didn't send it out? Would it be that hard to code in the information to stop them when they get to their own site?

No, I don't want to hear any whinning from any programmers. I can't imagine how many thousands of dollars thy get every month.

Glenn

12. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Good one Dana!

Ebay is not alone here. Earthlink has has a bad one running for over a year now, and a few banks (cough, cough) have joined in too.

I got the Earthlink one and knew that it was bad because I pay them only once a year, and never with my card! So I sent the whole thing back at them (I was one of the first). They stopped a few weeks later, but then started up again.

What I don't understand - at least about the Earthlink one, was why it wasn't caught when it got to their IP site. It says - from Earthlink and yet they didn't send it out? Would it be that hard to code in the information to stop them when they get to their own site?

No, I don't want to hear any whinning from any programmers. I can't imagine how many thousands of dollars thy get every month.

Glenn

13. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Dana, no links. Just reply to this post with your credit card numbers...[​IMG]

14. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Dana, no links. Just reply to this post with your credit card numbers...[​IMG]

15. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Well at least half the problem is foolish users (cough, cough) who understand nothing about the technology they're using and who a) fall for illiterate, obviously fake messages and still b) blame legitimate companies who have no connection with the fraud.

Glenn:

The messages you are getting don't come from Earthlink! The message source is fake, the webpage it sends you to is fake, the whole bloody thing is FAKE. Anybody can fake a "from" adddress, it happens all the time. If I send the same text in a snail mail on something that looks like Earthlink's stationery are you going to assume that I must have broken into their office and mailed it using their postage meter? [​IMG]

Nobody is "accessing Earthlink's site" (or eBay's or Citibank's) and there isn't a thing in the world that the companies can do to prevent such phony messages from going out. There is a good chance that somewhere on the internet someone is getting a worm or a virus from "Glenn Overholt" in an e-mail that you never sent, because the offending code mined your e-mail address from the 'web or from the address book of somebody you've corresponded with. Ever get one of those "delivery failure" or "delivery refused" messages to some e-mail you never sent to some person you never heard of? That's where such things come from. And you are exactly as much (or as little) to blame in that case as Earthlink or eBay is in this one.

Regards,

Joe

16. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Well at least half the problem is foolish users (cough, cough) who understand nothing about the technology they're using and who a) fall for illiterate, obviously fake messages and still b) blame legitimate companies who have no connection with the fraud.

Glenn:

The messages you are getting don't come from Earthlink! The message source is fake, the webpage it sends you to is fake, the whole bloody thing is FAKE. Anybody can fake a "from" adddress, it happens all the time. If I send the same text in a snail mail on something that looks like Earthlink's stationery are you going to assume that I must have broken into their office and mailed it using their postage meter? [​IMG]

Nobody is "accessing Earthlink's site" (or eBay's or Citibank's) and there isn't a thing in the world that the companies can do to prevent such phony messages from going out. There is a good chance that somewhere on the internet someone is getting a worm or a virus from "Glenn Overholt" in an e-mail that you never sent, because the offending code mined your e-mail address from the 'web or from the address book of somebody you've corresponded with. Ever get one of those "delivery failure" or "delivery refused" messages to some e-mail you never sent to some person you never heard of? That's where such things come from. And you are exactly as much (or as little) to blame in that case as Earthlink or eBay is in this one.

Regards,

Joe

17. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Yeah, I got that Ebay one a while back. The funny thing is that it came in to an email address I use that has NOTHING to do with my Ebay account. Needless to say, that was kind of a dead giveaway.

18. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Yeah, I got that Ebay one a while back. The funny thing is that it came in to an email address I use that has NOTHING to do with my Ebay account. Needless to say, that was kind of a dead giveaway.