What's new

This is Jack Briggs, and I am homeless. (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I've held off commenting for a long time. Even though I think the best of people and am very naïve and trusting, this story sounded like a scam from the first word written.

I hope I'm wrong and he turns out to be a good guy, but this story seems to possibly be a really good con game. Hopefully people who sent him money didn't get carried away with their donations.

Call me Mr. Cynical and if the mods delete this, I'll understand.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You aren't alone...

Too much time has passed without a word for me to not feel uneasy about the whole thing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have just sent the following e-mail to Jack:
Jack:

You have many friends who would like to hear from you on the Home Theater Forum.

Please drop a public line to the forum to say hello. Even if you don’t have time for a lengthy update at this time, any contact would be appreciated.

Mike
I sent a similar e-mail a few weeks ago.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I also hesitated to post any doubts about this, not wanting to inject any negativity to the situation. But now that others have been brave enough to express their doubts, I have to chime-in. I mean, there were multiple posts almost daily, until the trip was to take place. Then nothing for what, almost 5 weeks now? I find it hard to believe someone who was homeless and accessing the internet so much in California, could not at least drop a line from Tennessee, and say they were OK. It would be a shame, (but not a surprise), to find that people went to such effort and cost to help someone in need, and now they seem to have vanished. Let us all hope for the best.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I spent a very nice afternoon with Jack some years ago at the Cinerama Dome and dinner afterwards, and the lack of communication doesn't seem like him.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Before we cast too many aspersions his way, imagine how traumatic the move must have been and potentially continues to be. If I were in a similar situation, I know as soon as I got back to where my family was there'd be some tough, tough conversations. And also, we don't know his emotional and mental state. I'm hoping he's just taking some time to get his mind right after what is likely a highly emotional and potentially traumatic cross-country move. I'm still hoping for the best.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
There may be many reasons why he isn't making contact now.
"A scam" is too simplistic in my opinion, a scammer could easily have gotten on posting a few assuring messages.

Also, we're pretty certain from personal communications this was the real Jack Briggs.

I agree that it's disappointing not to hear anything yet, but I want to stress that I'm not regretting at all trying to help a forum friend.

Cees

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I am not worried that I may have been "scammed". I willingly gave to someone I wanted to help. What they did with my gift is their affair.

I am more worried that something bad has befallen Jack, and wonder if there is anything we can do to find out if he is OK.

Do we know that someone, ID'd as Jack Briggs flew to TN?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
John,

Exactly my opinion. We're practically 100% certain we sent our money to our fellow member and friend Jack Briggs.
We hope he (was able to) spend it well.

About your second point: we're trying to work on that. Someone certainly used the ticket to Nashville that had his name on it, we know that.

Cees

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Dheiner said:
I am not worried that I may have been "scammed". I willingly gave to someone I wanted to help. What they did with my gift is their affair.

I am more worried that something bad has befallen Jack, and wonder if there is anything we can do to find out if he is OK.

That is my concern, as well. Jack had not been to Tennessee in about 25 years. Being in a new area with very little money, family or friends can be a scary proposition with lots of potential pitfalls.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
ok, it has been 2 months now, and not a whisper from Jack. Not to be alarmist, but maybe if there is someone in the Tennessee area, they might look at contacting Police or Hospitals?
Either that, or Jack has gone Jack Kerouac on us, and is just on a beatnik journey :)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I just hope he is ok.We know he was sick before the trip and any kind of travel and relocation like this can be very stressful.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Has anyone heard anything from Mr. Briggs? I never had the pleasure of interacting with him on HTF, but do feel a sense of concern about one of my fellow travelers. He remains in my prayers for a safe and successful transition to his new home. Reading through this thread it sounds like he was going to attempt reconnecting with one of his friends in the Nashville area; hopefully he was able to do so and got a warm reception from this person.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm not generally a cynic but I felt something was wrong here from the beginning and questioned, without response, him saying something about forgetting how to log into his account. I'll apologize the minute he comes back here and shows me wrong but until then I will believe he or whoever this was Was only out for financial benefit by taking advantage of the good hearts here.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Anyway does anyone in here have any search know how in public records, hospitals or police reports?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Dheiner said:

The way I look at this Jack asked for our help getting to TN, and we know he got there. I hope he is doing well and making progress, but now that he is there I don't think I am owed any updates.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Moe Dickstein said:
It may be a time he doesn't wish to relive yet.
That's what I was thinking and I couldn't blame him. It could also be a matter of pride too. As far as I'm concerned, there's no shame in asking for help when you need it but pride might be making it tough for him to come back even to thank people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks