What's new

THIS IS CINERAMA DELUXE BLURAY EDITION may 8 (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Is there anything on the old version that isn't in the new one?

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I would like to see the abandoned footage from SEVEN WONDERS OF THE WORLD, as an extra.It was to have be the second Cinerama production but it was abandoned after much footage was shot.. CINERAMA HOLIDAY then went into production. (working title whilst it was in production was THE THRILL OF IT ALL) . 7 WONDERS later resumed production as the 3rd Cinerama feature rather than the 2nd as it was originally intended. Does that footaqe still exist.? Very little of the original footage shot later appeared in the released film.

Strohmaier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Strohmaier
All such footage, out takes etc. does not exist, it was tossed when the Forum Theater was sold as a church in 1978.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've been trying so hard to avoid blind buys this year while I still have a stack from last year waiting to be looked at, but I couldn't pass this up.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
All such footage, out takes etc. does not exist, it was tossed when the Forum Theater was sold as a church in 1978.

Very depressing news. Another example of the copyright owners not caring about cinema history until it was too late. There must have been hundreds of thousands of films and tv series that have been destroyed since the birth of cinema..Sheer madness.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I bought it today for only $27.95 at Flicker Alley with free shipping. Sale ends tomorrow.

With the ever rising cost of International postage rates, having these 2 discs sent for free to the other side of the world ,is a bargain.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My copy of the new deluxe 'This is Cinerama' is out for delivery today (street date is tomorrow). I ordered directly from Flicker Alley at the $27.95 price.

Dave Strohmaier restored the film from the original camera negative back in 2015. That was after Flicker Alley's first release on Blu-ray. Presumably, the new deluxe version uses Strohmaier's restoration. Here's how one pre-restoration scene compares to Strohmaier's restoration:

Pre-restoration:
i-RTPwnwf.jpg

Post-restoration:
i-bBXHw5W.jpg

I didn't purchase the first Flicker Alley release so I'm excited to get this one. Details on the deluxe version:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=22803

Mark

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I should have the two remastered editions waiting for me when I return home later this week, plus Cinerama Holiday and South Seas Adventure (from Flicker Alley's sale). I'm surprised by how much fun I've found these films.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Isn't it ironic that the Cinerama format could never recieve a wide distribution?:rolleyes:
This BD is great news. A definite purchase.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I received my copy of this and Windjammer yesterday. I haven't had a chance to look at either but I'm happy to see the comparison shots of This is Cinerama posted by Mark.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Just curious of how many Forum members actually saw This Is Cinerama in it's original 3 strip process.
My dad took us 3 kids to the Lowe's Palace in Memphis, Tn. July, 1961. It was an amazing experience for a 14 year old kid. I still have the program book from that screening!

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Isn't it ironic that the Cinerama format could never recieve a wide distribution?:rolleyes:
This BD is great news. A definite purchase.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Seeing Cinerama was meant to be a special event.It was not meant to get a wide distribution like films do to-day. There were hundreds of Cinerama cinemas around the world.Many cities had more than one 3-strip cinema. When you went to see a Cinerama film your knew that you were in for a special treat ...and was a treat it was too. I managed to see all the 3-strip Cinerama films in cinemas.Sadly those days are gone now. Seeing Cinerama at the NYC Warner and Capitol cinemas were unforgettable memories that i will cherish forever.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Just curious of how many Forum members actually saw This Is Cinerama in it's original 3 strip process.
My dad took us 3 kids to the Lowe's Palace in Memphis, Tn. July, 1961. It was an amazing experience for a 14 year old kid. I still have the program book from that screening!

I did many times.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks