What's new

This is BEYOND DISGUSTING! (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mikah Cerucco said:
Sure parents should raise their kids. But what about the parents across the street who don't? When Johnny becomes a complete butthole and decides to share himself with the world, is my ostrich imitation so enlightened then?
And if television only has positive images on it, the kid will turn out all right despite having terrible parents?

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Travis,

You are mixing the analogy of poor parenting with the case of allegedly irresponsible programming, and I don't think that was intended by Mikah's post nor is valid in comparison for this discussion.

Chris

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
ChristopherG said:
Travis, You are mixing the analogy of poor parenting with the case of allegedly irresponsible programming, and I don't think that was intended by Mikah's post nor is valid in comparison for this discussion. Chris
Maybe that isn't what he intended but my point is that poor parenting and TV are entirely separate issues so a kid with lousy parents who becomes a detriment to our society has no point in this discussion. A kid with bad parents has bigger problems than what someone drinks on Fear Factor.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I don't think that your kid watching Fear Factor is going to have any real impact on his/her development into an adult.

Having a parent that lets their children watch Fear Factor on the other hand...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I hate censorship and the PTC. Anything else I could say on the topic is likely to provoke further fights and I am sure this topic is already headed towards a lock.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Mikah Cerucco said:
Perhaps it's because none of us exists in a vacuum and the person I become could very well have an effect on others. As valid as it is to think, "Who died and left you boss," I think it's equally valid to question whether things pumped into the public are a net benefit or detriment. It may be harmful to suggest I shouldn't have a choice available to me because you don't like it, but it may be equally harmful to ignore the fact that you can't continue to lower the bar on increasingly greater scales (network TV) and think it has no effect on society. Sure parents should raise their kids. But what about the parents across the street who don't? When Johnny becomes a complete butthole and decides to share himself with the world, is my ostrich imitation so enlightened then? I'm all for live and let live, but there are limits. Reasonable people can disagree over what those limits should be (balancing several factors), but let's not act like the original poster is inherently deserving of ridicule. Instead, I'd simply say it doesn't meet my own personal outrage litmus test because it's mostly a mental image challenge.
The OP is essentially saying “I don’t want to be offended”, as if he has some sort of “right” not to be offended. That’s nonsense. There are all sorts of behaviors and attitudes one can find offensive, from clothing styles to music tastes to appearance to personal hygiene, but no reasonable person is going to attempt to dictate those things to someone else (I was “affected” the other day by the sight of a visible thong worn by the woman climbing the stairs in front of me, but that doesn’t mean I can dictate her style of dress) beyond an expression of distaste. Furthermore, he is exposed to it only if he deliberately chooses to do so. On the other hand, the OP is not calling for legislation, only an organized effort by like-minded people to express their disgust. I still say, though, that he’d be better off simply ignoring the program, instead of worrying that others may differ with his tastes and sensibilities.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by TravisR

Maybe that isn't what he intended but my point is that poor parenting and TV are entirely separate issues so a kid with lousy parents who becomes a detriment to our society has no point in this discussion. A kid with bad parents has bigger problems than what someone drinks on Fear Factor.

I think you should take another look at the definition of the word analogy.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, the ratings are in and they're a million or more viewers lower than the previous episode Travis mentioned. I hear the NBC execs are burning their "NBC: The network saved by donkey spunk!" t-shirts.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
[COLOR=FF00AA][/COLOR]It's over and I assume it was broadcast. Yet the world still goes on. I don't watch it, haven't watched since the middle of the first batch of shows years ago, and will never watch it again. But guess what, it's MY choice not to watch or not. It's disgusting, boring and a waste of time, but it's also there if I feel like viewing. Don't preach to me, tell me what I can and can't watch. I was trying hard to stay out of this and but to use the old cliches, turn your TV off, change channels, whatever you feel like to avoid watching it. Don't preach to me about what I can and can't watch. Yes it sounded disgusting, but crawl back into your holier than thou closet and let people make their own decisions. The funny part about all of this is that you're just providing free publicity for shows like this. Rather than let them fade quietly into oblivion, you're just shining the spotlight on them and attracting attention, probably inflating their ratings and even extending how long they're on the air.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
Well, the ratings are in and they're a million or more viewers lower than the previous episode Travis mentioned. I hear the NBC execs are burning their "NBC: The network saved by donkey spunk!" t-shirts.
I totally forgot to check that but I'm pleasantly surprised. Whatever press NBC got before deciding to not air the episode hopefully resulted in turning away an audience rather than getting them to watch.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
So the episode didn't air? I guess not considering the ratings...

Stan

Senior HTF Member
The network set themselves up to fail with this one. Apparently enough previews and leaks got out sop eople knew what to expect. On the other hand, very sad that a few upset consumers can get a show withdrawn wihthout even seeing it. Just a bunch of busy body housewives hearing a story, deciding to protest, print fliers, talk to their neighbors, maybe boycott the network and in the end most of their boycott information information is wrong. To bad the network bent over backward to these loons. Should have just shown the episode and dealt with what little backlash there may have been. It's been written and spoken to death, but get off your lazy ass, change the channel or just turn the TV off. Stop shoving your moral values down my throat. I'm adult enough to make my own decisions, and guess what, I had no interest in watching this show, never have, never will. But how dare you decide what I can and can't watch. As for this being shown during the magic "childrens hour", if you're a decent parent you should still be screening what your kids are watching. Put your martini and cigarette down and take care of your family.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Stan said:
The network set themselves up to fail with this one. Apparently enough previews and leaks got out sop eople knew what to expect. On the other hand, very sad that a few upset consumers can get a show withdrawn wihthout even seeing it. Just a bunch of busy body housewives hearing a story, deciding to protest, print fliers, talk to their neighbors, maybe boycott the network and in the end most of their boycott information information is wrong. To bad the network bent over backward to these loons. Should have just shown the episode and dealt with what little backlash there may have been. It's been written and spoken to death, but get off your lazy ass, change the channel or just turn the TV off. Stop shoving your moral values down my throat. I'm adult enough to make my own decisions, and guess what, I had no interest in watching this show, never have, never will. But how dare you decide what I can and can't watch. As for this being shown during the magic "childrens hour", if you're a decent parent you should still be screening what your kids are watching. Put your martini and cigarette down and take care of your family.
Nice, I like it. :laugh:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Stan said:
As for this being shown during the magic "childrens hour", if you're a decent parent you should still be screening what your kids are watching. Put your martini and cigarette down and take care of your family.
I'll be glad to put them down. Bend over.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
RobertR said:
On the other hand, the OP is not calling for legislation, only an organized effort by like-minded people to express their disgust. I still say, though, that he’d be better off simply ignoring the program, instead of worrying that others may differ with his tastes and sensibilities.
Missed this post, but perfect for what's been happening. Ignore the program and stop worrying. No way to count the numbers, but I'd still be willing to bet the ratings, while bad, would have been a lot worse had the do-gooders just kept their mouths shut. Probably ended up bringing in more new viewers rather than losing any. But enough for now, it's over. Let's please drop this discussion.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Stop shoving your moral values down my throat."

^ This.

I basically have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks