What's new

This is BEYOND DISGUSTING! (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Adam Lenhardt said:
Most people express their distaste by not watching it. Shows that get poor ratings don't continue to air. I certainly won't be watching "Fear Factor", but I'm not willing to substitute my values for the values of those who do. What your argument boils down to is: I don't like certain content and don't want to watch it, and I don't think anyone else should be able to watch it either. Speaking for myself, I don't like "Fear Factor" and won't be watching it, but I could give a rat's ass whether the rest of America does or not.
Agreed. Acting like a smug, censorious troglodyte and attempting to impose your tastes on other people who don't even care much about it usually leads to us punching you right in the taint. So you're all butthurt and outraged. Doesn't mean the rest of us are, or that we should potentially be prevented from watching it if we want to. If you really want to aid society, Regulus, volunteer at a soup kitchen or do something to help alleviate poverty in this country. It seems like there's much bigger fish to fry out there in the world than this trifle of a "cause."

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ee25c54e.jpg
Seriously that is horrific.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The really gross part is that those shirts were white when they started.

Is there a urine based equivalent to the milk mustache?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
joshEH said:
Agreed. Acting like a smug, censorious troglodyte and attempting to impose your tastes on other people who don't even care much about it usually leads to us punching you right in the taint. So you're all butthurt and outraged. Doesn't mean the rest of us are, or that we should potentially be prevented from watching it if we want to. If you really want to aid society, Regulus, volunteer at a soup kitchen or do something to help alleviate poverty in this country. It seems like there's much bigger fish to fry out there in the world than this trifle of a "cause."
That's a load of bullshit. Suggesting that tasteless crap on broadcast TV should be saved for after 9 pm is not described by any of the tasteless crap in your post. How old are you? TonyD, was it really necessary to post that image here?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hanson said:
The really gross part is that those shirts were white when they started. Is there a urine based equivalent to the milk mustache?
I'm going with "pee goatee." Anyone got better?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
What is seen in that picture? I see someone drinking an unknown substance. Through the power of expectation one can ascertain that they arent drinking chocolate milk but so what, is it so awful that you can't look at it? Is this one better?
d378b460.jpg

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
This one time, on NCIS, one of the most-watched dramas in history, I saw someone kill another human being by shooting them in the chest multiple times.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
But did he drink he dead guys blood because that would have been reprehensible.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by TonyD

But did he drink he dead guys blood because that would have been reprehensible.

No, but afterward, he *smiled.*

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Aaron Silverman said:
That's a load of bullshit. Suggesting that tasteless crap on broadcast TV should be saved for after 9 pm is not described by any of the tasteless crap in your post. How old are you?
Um...because I was backing Adam up, there? He already covered both the "tasteless-crap-after-9 P.M." and the "overbearing, self-appointed, would-be-Donald-Wildmon-censor" bases in his post. Which is why I quoted it as the connecting reference-point for my own post. I think you're slightly misinterpreting it. I was agreeing with him 110 percent. And really, I hardly consider any of I what wrote to be "tasteless" in this day and age. (The "donkey-semen" threshold was already passed a full page-and-a-half beforehand, after all.)

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Adam Lenhardt said:
Speaking for myself, I don't like "Fear Factor" and won't be watching it, but I could give a rat's ass whether the rest of America does or not.
That's what they eat on the next episode.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've never understood why some people have such an overwhelming zeal for "saving" others from themselves.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Josh Dial said:
This one time, on NCIS, one of the most-watched dramas in history, I saw someone kill another human being by shooting them in the chest multiple times.
No you didn't. You saw one actor firing a prop gun and another actor pretending to die.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
joshEH said:
Um...because I was backing Adam up, there? He already covered both the "tasteless-crap-after-9 P.M." and the "overbearing, self-appointed, would-be-Donald-Wildmon-censor" bases in his post. Which is why I quoted it as the connecting reference-point for my own post. I think you're slightly misinterpreting it. I was agreeing with him 110 percent. And really, I hardly consider any of I what wrote to be "tasteless" in this day and age. (The "donkey-semen" threshold was already passed a full page-and-a-half beforehand, after all.)
Neither you nor Adam addressed the point. Adam put up a strawman about trying to prevent anyone else from watching something (quite a stretch from saying some things should be saved for after 9 pm and for DVD) and you chimed in with name-calling and a bizarre crack about punching someone in the taint.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I've never understood why some people have such an overwhelming zeal for "saving" others from themselves.

Perhaps it's because none of us exists in a vacuum and the person I become could very well have an effect on others. As valid as it is to think, "Who died and left you boss," I think it's equally valid to question whether things pumped into the public are a net benefit or detriment. It may be harmful to suggest I shouldn't have a choice available to me because you don't like it, but it may be equally harmful to ignore the fact that you can't continue to lower the bar on increasingly greater scales (network TV) and think it has no effect on society. Sure parents should raise their kids. But what about the parents across the street who don't? When Johnny becomes a complete butthole and decides to share himself with the world, is my ostrich imitation so enlightened then?

I'm all for live and let live, but there are limits. Reasonable people can disagree over what those limits should be (balancing several factors), but let's not act like the original poster is inherently deserving of ridicule. Instead, I'd simply say it doesn't meet my own personal outrage litmus test because it's mostly a mental image challenge. That's what "Fear Factor" is all about... trying to overcome a intensely adverse mental images ("fear"). Women drink semen all the time. If it's a question of cross-species, we drink cow (and goat) milk all the time (and yes, there are people up in arms about that too). The truth is, Fear Factor isn't going to let people do anything turly harmful to themselves because they don't want the liability or the stigma. It's like how they let roaches and/or snakes crawl over you, or challenge you to eat bugs. There's nothing inherently harmful about either. That leaves the sexual connection, and perhaps that's where the outrage comes from. I did see "beastiality" referred to. But at the end of the day, getting the donkey semen isn't significantly different from getting the cow's milk. It's just a matter of social norms.

I don't watch the show, but I did see it once way back when (before they had to come up with new and exciting ways to top themselves). Someone was walking a highwire. It kept thinking, "But they have you on a harness -- you CAN'T fall." I found it kind of interesting because to the average person, even with a harness, if you're high enough that's some scary stuff. After all, equipment can fail. Then again, these days that's just another date on The Bachelor.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

No you didn't. You saw one actor firing a prop gun and another actor pretending to die.

It looked real to me, and it clearly only matters what I think.

In any event, it sensationalized violence, as the victim sputtered blood and writhed in agony for tens of seconds on screen. The camera remained fixed on the victim then entire time, showcasing his suffering.

This episode was aired at 6 PM local time. I've seen similar episodes of NCIS air in syndication during the day, when children are home, likely watching television.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
Is there really a difference though? When you get down to it, someone actually drinking donkey semen and urine has as much effect on a viewer as someone pretending to shoot a guy because they're both presented in a realistic way. Also, I still don't think that if this had aired that there would be any harm. Once again, I think the stunt is repellent and I think that NBC should have the decency to not air something that gross (not because they're not allowed to or because they've been strong armed by a censor group but because they choose to not air it) but even if it had aired, I can't imagine there being any impact.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Mikah,

I have been contemplating posting in this thread since it started. Thanks for such an eloquent, even-handed post - I could not have written one better. At some point "anything goes" bites even the most ardent free speech advocacy in the ass. Your analogy regarding kids behavior and parenting is apt - there is a family in my neighborhood that exemplifies this and the entire rest of the neighborhood is worse off for it.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks