This IS a WEB page: Cant we have sections AND a combined view?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob McElfresh, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Keep the sections, but cant we create a MIXED view that shows all the Hardware posts in all the sub-sections? Cant vBulletin do this?

Or can the posts have a "TYPE" field so each post gets to be tagged as "GENERAL/WIRES/TWEEKS/SPEAKERS/..." and each viewer can choose to sort by TYPE to group things or just sort by date/time in the traditional fashion.

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Bob:

This is not a standard feature and the amount of coding involved would be quite a bit to do. So we either have the subdivisions or not. It is not just the matter of it being a WEB page, it is a matter of a program (aka a script) that pulls data from a database and then writes it to the page that you see. Cross posting from one area to have it show up in two areas at once would take a large amount of programming to pull off and would put a large amount of load of the server.

Parker

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    My suggestion for those who are bothered by the subsections is to browse the forum using the top 30 posts link. That provides the ultimate combined view of everything currently being discussed.

4. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

Carl's suggestion is what I also would like, though I understand that if the software doesn't support it, you're kind of screwed. Keep in mind, though, that messages would not be cross-posted per se; the viewer would simply have the ability to screen the combined forum by keywords or categories.

Oh well, maybe they'll add that capability in the future...