This IS a serious question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JohnWM, May 23, 2004.

1. JohnWM

JohnWM Auditioning

As I have stated in an earlier post I am the soon to be proud owner of a 25-31pc+. It should be here sometime next week.

My question is about placement but not about placement???

I read many threads about these subwoofers shaking the walls and pictures rattling. The prime place for me to place the sub when it arrives has collectable art on both walls. While I doubt I will run it at close to reference level, should I sincerly be concerned about the art on the wall?

They properly secured to the wall, but should one of them fall, there will be a wife factor of biblical proportions.

Your always good recomendations are requested!!!!

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

put the pictures on the floor before the sub arrives

problem solved

[​IMG]

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

John,

By "properly secured" I'm assuming that you have adequate hooks which you've hung the pictures on. However, there is one great product that I've had lots of success with. The product is in the picture-hanging section of Home Depot and has the brand "OOK" on it. These are gold-tone picture hanging hooks that use 2 or 3 small nails to hold the hooks in place. Each hanger has a sufficient hook to "hold" onto the cable for the picture securing it pretty well.

Hopefully, you have something of this nature to secure your pictures. If you do, you should be fine.

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

The risk to the art is unrelated to the position of the sub in the room. The sub pressureizes the entire room as a unit.

5. Stephen_Ponte

I recommend you place the woofer as close as possible to the listening position.

This solves problems with excess amplitude (volume), but also increases tactile conduction - so the whole 'experience' of bass is heightened.

***Remember, the lower in frequency, humans have less sensitivity to bass, and we percieve bass via bone conduction (and harmonics) as a replacement for amplitude***

You won't have to have as much gain on the unit, as if it was further from listening position - increasing chances of the wall worts meeting their demise.

Just use common sense, and trust you head - should do you right.

-SDP

6. JohnWM

JohnWM Auditioning

Thanks for the responses. Wayne I will go to Home Depot and check the hangers out tomorrow. I know the art is hung with heavy art hangers. They are overrated for the weight of the art.

The postion I am hoping to but the sub in is very near the source.

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

If she allows it, velcro the backside of the picture frame in a (few places) and the wall.

Then they won't bounce, swing, basicly short of an earthquake they won't move. Keeps them nice and straight too once you've got them in place.

Dose not take a ton of velcro either. You can buy it in 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", wide rolls, or in different precut size tabs. A few strips/pieces placed around the frame, just the sides and bottom, along with the hooks properly mounted, and they ain't going anywhere regardles of infrasonic movie or sine testing spl.

Some "Blue Tac" also might help/work.

Just a few ideas thrown out their from experience. I use a few pieces of velcro on the back of the pictures frames now. After running sines from 20-Hz and down at, aha, pretty high spls, I litterly blew pictures of their hooks. Seriously, and this was in another room! Also, blowing those darn light bulb filamints gets sickening.

Anyone else replacing bulbs allot when watching serious bass material at higher spl's, or doing some freq spl testing and toasting bulbs???

Regards
    Geoff

8. Steven_E_S

Steven_E_S Auditioning

I use a dab of putty on the bottom of the frame on my pictures. This is very cheap and keeps the pictures from bouncing around or rattling.
    Steve